What is available for WA for 8x10

Old April 26th 04, 09:10 AM

Default What is available for WA for 8x10

In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?
Old April 26th 04, 02:07 PM
Raphael Bustin

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:10:07 GMT, wrote:

In my infinite quest for infinite ways to spend money on a hobby,
I now need to know what is available for WA for a 8x10 format
camera. I am a WA user (24mm or less) in the 35 mm world. I am
now foraging into the 8x10 realm. Any suggestions for a lens
with lots of coverage?

Hmmm. I understand there are 110 mm lenses
available that will cover 8x10" but I wouldn't have
a clue who makes them or what they might cost.

I just picked up a used Symmar 240/5.6 that has
8x10" coverage, but I guess that's not very wide
for 8x10". (It's in a Copal 3 and is quite huge
compared to my other two LF lenses.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 26th 04, 02:41 PM
Bob G

what is available for WA for a 8x10 format

159mm WA Wollensak (?) (old, flare?)
165mm Angulon (stop it down!)
165mm Super Angulon (big, heavy, expensive)
210mm G-Claron (a small wonder, shoot at f32 or smaller)
210mm Angulon (usually in old shutter, Copal 3 remounts expensive)
210mm Super Angulon (monstruous, forget it)
8 1/4" Dagor (watch out for focus shift, many variations in quality)
210m Fujinon-W (a beauty)
240mm Fujinon-A (a miniature lens, will just cover)
240mm G-Claron (small, stop it down!)
240mm Symmar, Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar, Sironar, Sironar-N, Apo-Sironar, Nikkor-W
(big, heavy, just cover)
250mm Wide Field Ektar (sharp, but in unreliable shutter)
250mm f6.7 Fujinon-W (superb, extensive coverage, make sure it's f6.7!)

There are some available below 165mm, they'll cost you an arm and a leg

Just a short list with my biased opinions!

Bob G
Old April 26th 04, 04:52 PM
Peter De Smidt

Bob G wrote:
[...]

Nice list, Bob. I'll add the Kowa-graphic 210 and 240 f9's. They were
also sold as Computar and Kyvvyx. *Some* of these will screw directly
into Copal shutters.

-Peter
Old April 26th 04, 05:50 PM
sympatico.ca

Nice list, Bob. I'll add the Kowa-graphic 210 and 240 f9's. They were
also sold as Computar and Kyvvyx. *Some* of these will screw directly
into Copal shutters.

Beat me to it - superb lens - becomes a 6.8 in shutter (the 210 does anyway)
also convertable to 370mm where it is at least half decent.

On the 159mm Wollensak - the later coated "pink" dot ones are quite nice -
very little flare, fairly cotnrasty and sharp enough for the price....

And there are the big and/or expensive 150mm Nikkor Wide, 12mm Nikkor Wide
(I think) Grnadagon 20omm and 155mm and the Suoper Symmar XL 110mm, 150mm
210mm

The 210 Fuji - you have to find exactly the right model - I have one and
keep it for 4x5 - much prefer the Kowa

Old April 26th 04, 05:53 PM
sympatico.ca

Oh - and also the 180mm f9 Carl Zeiss Jenna Dagor - extremely nice lens

Old April 26th 04, 07:50 PM
jjs

If you don't need movements, the Zeiss 121mm Super Angulon.

Old April 26th 04, 08:30 PM
Eric

On 2004-04-26, P. MacGahan wrote:
...and in addition:
110mm Symmar XL (opinions vary about coverage, but small, expensive and
high quality image.
150mm Symmar XL ample coverage, expensive, very good.
155mm Grandagon ample coverage, very big, heavy fairly expensive, good.
120mm Nikon SW minimal coverage, not cheap, but sometimes reasonable used,
excellent quality image.
150mm Nikon SW ample coverage, expensive, excellent image.

The 155 Grandagon is nice for 8x10 even without a center filter, in my
limited experience. Depending on subject matter, of course.

Old April 27th 04, 07:39 AM

Bob G wrote:
[...]

WOW. That is some list. Looks like I have some more research to do. Sounds
like the great limiting factors for me will be $$$ followed by coverage.
Based on what I have been doing, I need lots of coverage for looking
around corners . Guess I need to play more as I have been exceeding the
coverage of the 12" lens I have on hand. And Bob, bias greatfully accepted
and noted