Did Canon decide to profit on bodies?

Old June 9th 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Default Did Canon decide to profit on bodies?

The huge price jumps of the 5DIII and Ti4 relative to their predecessors
would seem to indicate they aren't just satisfied with increases in lens
prices.
Old June 9th 12, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Rich" wrote in message
The huge price jumps of the 5DIII and Ti4 relative to their predecessors
would seem to indicate they aren't just satisfied with increases in lens
prices.

Canon and Nikon are never satisfied with any level of profit! (just like
most companies, Apple is FAR worse IMO)
However their perception is the prices are not a "huge price jump" over the
original price of their predecessors, rather the older model is now heavily
reduced in price over what it was originally. It's hard to imagine how they
think a new 5D3 body is worth up to twice as much as a new 5D2 body at
current discount prices though. Good time to buy a 5D2 though, not so good
if you want to trade one in on a Nikon 800 of course :-)

Trevor.

Old June 9th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 18:09:04 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Rich" wrote in message
: ...
: The huge price jumps of the 5DIII and Ti4 relative to their predecessors
: would seem to indicate they aren't just satisfied with increases in lens
: prices.

They're suffering from a high valus of the yen, aren't they?

: Canon and Nikon are never satisfied with any level of profit! (just like
: most companies, Apple is FAR worse IMO)
: However their perception is the prices are not a "huge price jump" over the
: original price of their predecessors, rather the older model is now heavily
: reduced in price over what it was originally. It's hard to imagine how they
: think a new 5D3 body is worth up to twice as much as a new 5D2 body at
: current discount prices though. Good time to buy a 5D2 though, not so good
: if you want to trade one in on a Nikon 800 of course :-)

The drawback of the 5D2 is that its 9-point AF system is archaic for a serious
camera. You can live with it if you regard the 5D2 as a specialized landscape
or portrait camera. But both the 5D and the 5D2 have been traditionally used
as event cameras; it's not uncommon to see them in the hands of wedding
photographers. Canon's problem (if there really is a problem) is that the 7D,
with a better AF system than the 5D2, is a fine event camera for much less
money than the 5D3, losing out to the latter only for very high-end work.

Bob
Old June 10th 12, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
The drawback of the 5D2 is that its 9-point AF system is archaic for a
serious
camera.

Not so, mine is usually set to single point AF so I KNOW where it is going
to focus. A huge number of AF points simply gives it more opportunities to
pick the wrong one IMO. For example when I take a stage photo I want to
focus on the singer, not the mic stand as happens with multi point
autofocus. But I don't always shoot people, so even cameras with face detect
(like the OMD-5E) have their own limitations. Having shot half my life with
manual focus only, I just don't seem to place the same importance on dozens
of AF points as you do.

You can live with it if you regard the 5D2 as a specialized landscape
or portrait camera. But both the 5D and the 5D2 have been traditionally
used
as event cameras; it's not uncommon to see them in the hands of wedding
photographers.

Right, done my fair share without problems, (as have many others) why do you
think the 5D2 cannot manage there?

Canon's problem (if there really is a problem) is that the 7D,
with a better AF system than the 5D2, is a fine event camera for much less
money than the 5D3, losing out to the latter only for very high-end work.

That's partly true, (although I'd pick the 5D2 over the 7D for weddings any
day) and the 5D3 losing out to the Nikon D800 for everything it seems,
(including price) going by most of the tests I've seen.

Trevor.

Old June 10th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

"Trevor" writes:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
The drawback of the 5D2 is that its 9-point AF system is archaic for a
serious
camera.

Not so, mine is usually set to single point AF so I KNOW where it is going
to focus. A huge number of AF points simply gives it more opportunities to
pick the wrong one IMO. For example when I take a stage photo I want to
focus on the singer, not the mic stand as happens with multi point
autofocus. But I don't always shoot people, so even cameras with face detect
(like the OMD-5E) have their own limitations. Having shot half my life with
manual focus only, I just don't seem to place the same importance on dozens
of AF points as you do.

I shot the first, oh, about 30 years with manual focus. But even in
1994, my testing showed that AF got me good-enough focus much faster.
Since I tend to shoot people in the wild (i.e. not models posing for
me), that speed drastically increased the number of good photos I got.
(Yes, I know all the tricks of pre-focusing, hyperfocal distance, etc.;
this was usually in low light where there's really no substitute for
precise focus.)

It's only gotten better since then. Today, I can place a chosen focus
point on a musician's eyes and count on AF-C to keep the eye in focus as
his head bobs to the music.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old June 10th 12, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:22:36 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Rich wrote:
The huge price jumps of the 5DIII and Ti4 relative to their predecessors
would seem to indicate they aren't just satisfied with increases in lens
prices.

Canon has been holding prices in Dollars and Euros for several years
while the yen has significantly (and inexplicably) risen in value
against those currencies. That could not go on forever.

Japanese inflation is traditionally very low and in fact averages
about zero. See
http://www.rateinflation.com/inflati...php?form=jpnir
The Yen hasn't been rising in value. It's the dollar and Euro which
have been sinking.

The new DSLR bodies and lenses are priced realistically in yen which
means that they look expensive in dollars, euros etc.

The same applies to the new Nikon lenses. However the latest Nikon
DSLR bodies appear very reasonably priced. The D800 was priced below
the expectations of most seasoned observers. The 32 MP D3200 seems
remarkably cheap. The D600 will offer spectacular value for money.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old June 12th 12, 10:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Today, I can place *a chosen focus point* on a musician's eyes and count on
AF-C to keep the eye in focus as
his head bobs to the music.

Exactly my point, you don't need 61 AF points to do that.

Trevor.

Old June 12th 12, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
The Yen hasn't been rising in value. It's the dollar and Euro which
have been sinking.

Exactly, it hasn't changed much against the Aussie dollar, yet the 5D3 body
is almost twice the price of the 5D2 here at the moment. Which make the 5D2
much better value IMO.

Trevor.

Old June 17th 12, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Trevor wrote:
"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Today, I can place *a chosen focus point* on a musician's eyes and count on
AF-C to keep the eye in focus as
his head bobs to the music.

Exactly my point, you don't need 61 AF points to do that.

Yep, if you're willing to always place the eye in the middle
of the frame, then you need only one AF point.

However, *some* people don't want the eye centered ...

-Wolfgang
Old June 17th 12, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Trevor wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote in message

The Yen hasn't been rising in value. It's the dollar and Euro which
have been sinking.

Exactly, it hasn't changed much against the Aussie dollar, yet the 5D3 body
is almost twice the price of the 5D2 here at the moment. Which make the 5D2
much better value IMO.

IYO, sure, but for someone who'd need a better AF or a more silent
mirror (for example) ...

-Wolfgang