[SI] Macro/Closeup

Old June 1st 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default [SI] Macro/Closeup

On 6/1/2012 4:23 AM, MG wrote:
"SI wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

--
The Committee

I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other peoples
work. But I would like to thank everyone for comments. I enjoy reading them.
My feeling is that there is room for improvement in many of the photos and
that the comments were very helpful in achieving this.

There is no reason why you are indeed competent to comment. You know
what you like and what you don't. If you don't like an image, simply say
why, in a constructive manner. There are times when I don't comment on
an image.
1. someone else has already stated my opinion; and
2. I really don't like the image, and cannot find constructive words
that may help the maker.

My favourite is Frank_Ess_2 (the sunglasses). I spent more time looking at
this one than any other photo.

Thanks to Peter Newman for the flower photos. I thought OK, so this is how
flower photos should be done.

Thanks for your comments. One small correction: that is how I do some of
flower images. I tend to look for an abstract pattern. There are
hundreds of ways of shooting flowers, many of which which are much
better then my style. Since I am not shooting for agronomy purposes, I
sometimes take liberties with color shifting, shape adjustments, HDR,
and/or edge enhancement. With the images I submitted in the SI, I did
some color and edge enhancement on the first dahlia. the others I only
did some sharpening on the lightness channel.

--
Peter
Old June 1st 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-06-01 04:23 , MG wrote:
"SI Committee" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

--
The Committee

I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other peoples
work.

Not at all. Say what you feel/think about the images.

But I would like to thank everyone for comments. I enjoy reading them.
My feeling is that there is room for improvement in many of the photos and
that the comments were very helpful in achieving this.

My favourite is Frank_Ess_2 (the sunglasses). I spent more time looking at
this one than any other photo.

I like that one too, but it's not my favorite.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Old June 1st 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

Just for you, I included some cropping comments in my comments about
the SI submissions.

Oh, Tony! You're a sweetie.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge
Old June 2nd 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Macro/Closeup - Some comments

On 2012-05-29 22:17 , Savageduck wrote:

Alan Browne:
Macro-01:
Hey! It's 17:20, and you were up close.

Close to deadline.

Macro-02:
Nice spider, good detail on the abdomen, but even at f/8 you have a few
detracting focus issues.

Get thee a macro then tell me. This was shot at 1:1 on a spider about
1/2 inch long. Hand held which challenged getting the focus right
(focus by swaying in and out). This was the best of about 15 shots from
several angles.

(I also forgot to dial up the shutter speed from the available light
shot I was making before he decided to visit my hair...)

It's the best "insect" shot I've ever made to be sure.

Macro-03:
Now this is the work I have come to expect of you. Good detail up front
and good fade to DOF OOF up top.

Yeah - as desired. Boring though.

Old June 2nd 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default Macro/Closeup

On 2012-05-31 10:25 , RichA wrote:

AlanBrown3: Honestly? Boring!!!

Deadline was close.

AlanBrown1: Pretty good spider shot, a real macro for a change. Be
nice if the contrast had been controllable, but sometimes it’s hard to
control lighting in such a situation. F16 with a ring flash would be
a good way to get this kind of thing.

No, that would look like crap. The backlight reflected off the ceiling
gave much better color and glow than a front lit shot ever could.

AlanBrown2: This is an interesting shot. Good texture, isolated
focus works and I wonder what made the scratch marks on the fungus??!

Slugs, insects. It's a mushroom. Dead from last year, picked up this year.

Old June 2nd 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-05-31 18:41 , tony cooper wrote:

Alan Browne: The spider's good, and they are harder to shoot than
some think. Hard to get them isolated from the background as was done
here. Must have been in a dark corner somewhere to force you to
1/100th at f/8 and 800 ISO.

I was shooting something else when he "dropped" in on me. I forgot to
set the ISO and the shutter speed appropriately. I snapped on the flash
and pointed that at the ceiling (I was standing on a chair to shoot
him). Set the lens to 1:1 (macro) and focused by swaying. He was quite
uncooperative and it was impossible to get his head in the shot.

I should have dialed that to f/16 @ 1/250 and ISO 160.

Old June 3rd 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-05-31 20:30 , wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 18:41:24 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

Sometimes I comment on all, and sometimes just on a few. The latter,
this time.

Bob Flint: The snail race is a quite interesting shot with all
contenders in sharp focus. If you can train snails to race, you
should be able to train them to race on a less distracting track.

I picked that background on purpose as I am a firm believer in natural nature
shots. I like to see the environment of the creatures in the photos. It IS a
bit busy though... BTW all that liquid is snail slime.... ehhhhhwwwww!

Of course when mushroom hunting one may prefer to avoid those snacked on
and upon...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a12ha11lxy...SML%20copy.jpg

Old June 4th 12, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
[email protected]

wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup

Sometimes I comment on all, and sometimes just on a few. The latter,
this time.

Bob Flint: The snail race is a quite interesting shot with all
contenders in sharp focus. If you can train snails to race, you
should be able to train them to race on a less distracting track.

I picked that background on purpose as I am a firm believer in natural nature
shots. I like to see the environment of the creatures in the photos. It IS a
bit busy though... BTW all that liquid is snail slime.... ehhhhhwwwww!

Of course when mushroom hunting one may prefer to avoid those snacked on
and upon...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a12ha11lxy...SML%20copy.jpg

Well I didn't know they ate mushrooms... good pic!

Old June 17th 12, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 17:07:21 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012-06-01 04:23 , MG wrote:
: "SI Committee" wrote in message
: ...
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/macrocloseup
:
: --
: The Committee
:
: I am new to Shoot Ins, so I don't feel competent to comment on other
: peoples work.
:
: Not at all. Say what you feel/think about the images.

And keep in mind that becoming a good critic is as much a learning process as
taking good pictures is. As you do it more, and start to learn what to look
for in others' work, it will help you see what to look for in your own. Say
what you think, and compare your impressions with those of others who comment
on the same images. As you get better at it, your insight will benefit both
you and the other participants.

Bob