Macro Panning Video as stop frame animation

Old October 10th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video.desktop
Paul Furman

Default Macro Panning Video as stop frame animation

Paul Furman wrote:
Richard wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed, I am interested to know what you would
use instead of Paul's setup? Also, do you have any advice for a newbie
on how to achieve similar stuff?

A bellows and a cheap old broken microscope for the positioning stage.
One that has sideways adjustments on the viewing plate. Mount an old
manual 50mm lens that has an aperture ring with a reversing ring so it's
backwards on the bellows. Or just put a P&S camera on a microscope.

A few more comments.

You will need live view or it will be painful. If stopped down, you'll
need a very strong light.

The lens I used came with an old spiratone bellows, cheap. It is small
and designed for bellows, actually maybe originally designed as an
enlarging lens for darkroom use. It is 35mm but I just tested a 50mm
reversed & that goes to 4:1 vs 5:1 for the one in the video. You need a
lens with an aperture ring.

You will want to mount the focusing stage and bellows/focusing rack on a
board together so they are rock solid. A focusing rack could be mounted
below the bellows for sideways motion, an old broken microscope is
probably the best bet for vertical movement. Tilt would be nice but the
most difficult to achieve. I found a goniometer for tilt, which was
pretty expensive and originally for another purpose. I would like
another smaller one for the focusing stage.
http://www.google.com/products?q=gon...age&hl=en&aq=f
The overpriced panorama plate for rotation that I mentioned is still not
ideal because it doesn't have a micrometer knob that turns it, just to
loosen/tighten. Ideally one of these:
http://www.recycledgoods.com/16196_N...20Stage. html
http://www.google.com/products?q=rotation+stage
Another solution could be an automated telescope mount which can be
programmed to follow pans & tilts on a set timer. I had to turn two
knobs for each frame and keep an eye on the live view to keep focus in
the center of the frame.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 10th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video.desktop
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:

The overpriced panorama plate for rotation that I mentioned is still not
ideal because it doesn't have a micrometer knob that turns it, just to
loosen/tighten. Ideally one of these:

Here's a better model that I could not find used:
40mm rotation stage part number 124-0030 $200.00
http://www.optosigma.com/miva/mercha...otation+Stages
and for use on a tripod and camera:
40 mm Adapter Plate 40 x 40 x 6.25 $40.00 123-8220
http://www.optosigma.com/miva/mercha...de=Accessories

Old October 11th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video.desktop
Paul Furman

Richard wrote:
Paul Furman wrote
Paul Furman wrote:
The overpriced panorama plate for rotation that I mentioned is still not
ideal because it doesn't have a micrometer knob that turns it, just to
loosen/tighten. Ideally one of these:

Here's a better model that I could not find used:
40mm rotation stage part number 124-0030 $200.00
http://www.optosigma.com/miva/mercha...otation+Stages
and for use on a tripod and camera:
40 mm Adapter Plate 40 x 40 x 6.25 $40.00 123-8220
http://www.optosigma.com/miva/mercha...de=Accessories

And for just twirling a small subject around with a micrometer:
http://www.lightglassoptics.com/Newp...age_p_569.html

BTW I think a focusing rail is the best bet for xy positioning, for z
positioning vertical, a really crappy broken microscope should be fine.
I haven't tried these but I think the scientific positioning stages are
too fine an adjustment for macrophotography. That precision is for
microscopes, fiber optics, etc and might be tedious working in such
small increments.

XY focusing rails for $80 to $650:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...=hp&q=focusing rail
Nice that there's a long travel, much more than with the micrometer gear
unless you pay for huge gear. Again, I've not tried these but guessing
you get what you pay for. I got an odd bellows online because it had
tilts & shifts and gets real close but it's a really flimsy piece of
machinery, totally useless with a lens of any weight, or less than
perfect stability.

http://www.google.com/products?q=rotation+stage
Another solution could be an automated telescope mount which can be
programmed to follow pans & tilts on a set timer. I had to turn two knobs
for each frame and keep an eye on the live view to keep focus in the
center of the frame.

Thanks Paul.

You're welcome! It's fun.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Which Digital Photo Frame for Video? Talal Digital Photography 0 April 28th 09 11:18 AM
free egreetings, video uptake ,slide shows, animation and many more useful smilebox,check this out pappu Digital Photography 0 April 18th 07 03:22 PM
Stop frame Scott Digital Photography 4 December 12th 06 07:09 AM
D50, Sigma used in MACRO, f stop query nuala m Digital SLR Cameras 6 February 8th 06 11:09 AM
Stop-frame animations from digicams ed Digital Photography 3 December 23rd 04 11:21 AM