small cheap camera?

Old December 30th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bluezfolk

Default small cheap camera?

This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric

Old December 30th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesøtti

bluezfolk wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Kodak EasyShare C330, C340 or C360. They are cheap now, because the new
cameras (e.g. C743) were released recently.

Old December 30th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

bluezfolk wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric

You neglect to let us know what you think is a reasonable price.
Without that, it is not possible to make a useful suggestion.
Would $139 be a reasonable price for you?
Old December 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

minnesøtti wrote:
bluezfolk wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Kodak EasyShare C330, C340 or C360. They are cheap now, because the new
cameras (e.g. C743) were released recently.

And with the C743 selling at Circuit City for $139, I would consider
that 'reasonable' for a 7mp camera with 3x optical zoom, 2.4" LCD, AND
an optical viewfinder.
Old December 30th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article .com,
"bluezfolk" wrote:

This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric

You can get a smaller camera by going with a model that uses a Lithium
ion battery. The battery will last a lot longer than rechargeable AA or
AAA batteries, plus it will retain its charge for months. The problem
with AA or AAA rechargeables is that they lose their power just by
sitting around. There are lots of cameras to choose from. Check
http://www.dpreview.com for some reviews.
Old December 30th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
davek57

Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
8MP and a superior lens. Mine came home for $167 USD. Not a bad deal
for a 5X camera that takes AA batteries and fits in your pocket.

-davek57

Old December 30th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesøtti

davek57 wrote:
Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
8MP and a superior lens.

More megapixels is good ?

Old December 30th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article .com,
"bluezfolk" wrote:

[...]

You can buy several brands of NIMH rechargeables that don't have
excessive self-discharge now. There is also the disposable lithium
batteries which have very long (10 years) shelf-life. Perfect for those
who use their cameras only for special occasions. They cost a bit more,
but for the purpose, not an excessive amount, and are quite convenient.
I am not comfortable with a lithium ion battery for a camera since it
requires a special charger, and has a sharp voltage dropoff as it
discharges. If one uses a lithium ion battery, carrying a spare would
be necessary, and is relatively expensive, compared to AA batteries.
Old December 30th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

minnesøtti wrote:
davek57 wrote:
Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
8MP and a superior lens.

More megapixels is good ?

The difference between 7 and 8 mp is pretty minimal. It might also
result in somewhat lower useful ISO, given that the sensor is the same size.
Nice camera though, for the money. Were I buying for myself, that would
have been my choice, but my wife wouldn't know what to do with the extra
features... She is having enough trouble learning to use the zoom for
framing, and remembering not to 'jab' the shutter button.
Old December 30th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bluezfolk

Ron Hunter wrote:
bluezfolk wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric

You neglect to let us know what you think is a reasonable price.
Without that, it is not possible to make a useful suggestion.
Would $139 be a reasonable price for you?

For me reasonable would definately include $139. To answer another
poster, I know that the models with lithIon batteries can be smaller
but I'm just not comfortable with them.

Eric