Merry Christmas

Old December 27th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Ron Hunter

Default Merry Winter Solstice

Cgiorgio wrote:
Not only to the Atheists, also to the Pagans from whom the saturnalia
holidays were stolen in the year 354 !

"Harry Stottle" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
reenews.net...
"ASAAR" wrote in message
In the future it's a near certainty that nobody will ever wish
others to have a Very Merry Minneøttimas.

Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukkah, Ramadan Kareem, Happy Kwanzaa,
Cool Yule, Blessed Be and Happy Trails to You, until we meet again!

What about us Atheists?
Possibly the only sane group of any society, and we never get a mention.

Not stolen, merely cooperated with. Most Christians in those days were
either slaves, or servants, and that was the day they were traditionally
given the day off. It made sense to celebrate it as Jesus' birthday,
even though he almost certainly was born in the early summer.
Old December 27th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Ron Hunter

Default Merry Christmas

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
All the best for the New Year, especially Health, Peace and Happiness.

If you had to pick just one of the three what would be your
choice...

Health.
Old December 27th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Ron Hunter

Bruce Chastain wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
All the best for the New Year, especially Health, Peace and Happiness.

If you had to pick just one of the three what would be your
choice...

Happiness. The health and peace are worthless if you're not happy.

Bruce.

With health, and peace, most people would be happy. Happy was never so
important to me as satisfied.
Old December 27th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Colin_D

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
All the best for the New Year, especially Health, Peace and Happiness.

If you had to pick just one of the three what would be your
choice...

Health. True happiness cannot be achieved if you are ill, in pain, or
terminal. Neither is there peace if your health is bad; suffering from
depression, side effects from medications, pain, loss of mobility; maybe
facing your mortality. You may obtain a pseudo-peace if you are
religious, but the stress is still there, not only with yourself, but
your loved ones as well.

Of course, you can have health and not be happy or peaceful, but in my
book, health is a prerequisite for the other two states.

Colin D.

Old December 27th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Nicholas O. Lindan

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
... All the best for the New Year, especially Health, Peace
... and Happiness.
If you had to pick just one of the three what would be your
choice...

I guess I am a pessimist, I look at the choice as

Pick 1 scenario:

I am in the midst of a war
I am unhappy
I am healthy

I am in the midst of a war
I am terminally ill
I am happy

I am terminally ill
I am unhappy
I am in a country at peace

==============================

At one time there was an office joke that made the rounds:

Your project can be either

o On budget
o On schedule
o Bug free

Pick two...

When it should have read:

How would you like your project:

o Over budget
o Late
or o Buggy

Old December 27th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
William Graham

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Harry Stottle wrote:
"ASAAR" wrote in message
In the future it's a near certainty that nobody will ever wish
others to have a Very Merry Minneøttimas.

Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukkah, Ramadan Kareem, Happy Kwanzaa,
Cool Yule, Blessed Be and Happy Trails to You, until we meet again!

What about us Atheists?
Possibly the only sane group of any society, and we never get a mention.

Maybe because you have nothing to celebrate? Makes sense to MY sane mind.

We celebrate life......We leave it to the religious nuts to celebrate
death.......:^)

Old December 27th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Annika1980

Bruce Chastain wrote:

Happiness. The health and peace are worthless if you're not happy.

Happy don't count if you're dead.

Former Heavyweight Champion, Larry Holmes, was once asked how he'd like
to be remembered. "As the longest living black man in history," was
the champ's reply.

Old December 27th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
minnesøtti

Alan Browne wrote:
Harry Stottle wrote:
"ASAAR" wrote in message

In the future it's a near certainty that nobody will ever wish
others to have a Very Merry Minneøttimas.

Merry Xmas, Happy Hanukkah, Ramadan Kareem, Happy Kwanzaa,
Cool Yule, Blessed Be and Happy Trails to You, until we meet again!

What about us Atheists?
Possibly the only sane group of any society, and we never get a mention.

"Merry Christmas" is a good wish to all, it is not "reserved" for believers.

Xmas is a _religious_ holiday, and here is the anecdotical proof:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....11b0d0cc.html

Old December 27th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Alan Browne

minnesøtti wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Harry Stottle wrote:

What about us Atheists?
Possibly the only sane group of any society, and we never get a mention.

"Merry Christmas" is a good wish to all, it is not "reserved" for believers.

Xmas is a _religious_ holiday, and here is the anecdotical proof:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....11b0d0cc.html

I never said that Christmas was not a religious holiday.

One doesn't reserve greetings like "Merry Christmas" for believing
Christians alone. Or for that matter from believing Christians alone.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 27th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.scanners
Pudentame

Alan Browne wrote:
minnesøtti wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Harry Stottle wrote:

What about us Atheists?
Possibly the only sane group of any society, and we never get a
mention.

"Merry Christmas" is a good wish to all, it is not "reserved" for
believers.

Xmas is a _religious_ holiday, and here is the anecdotical proof:

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....11b0d0cc.html

I never said that Christmas was not a religious holiday.

One doesn't reserve greetings like "Merry Christmas" for believing
Christians alone. Or for that matter from believing Christians alone.

If I could just get the believing christians to leave me alone...