Nikon maintains DSLR lead over Canon

Old July 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nikon maintains DSLR lead over Canon

In article , SMS
wrote:

nospam wrote:

and changing mounts would not have been better. canon's breech mount
was very primitive and they *needed* to change it to improve its
reliability. it turned out to be a good decision. nikon's mount is
perfectly fine, and it continues to fulfill the needs of millions of
photographers. there is no major limitation with the mount nor is
there any need to change it.

The limit is that Nikon is unable to produce certain lenses due to the
limitations of the mount.

how about explaining what those alledged limitations are instead of
blindly propagating this myth?

It's true that few amateurs would ever buy something like a 50/1.2 AF
lens, even if it were possible for Nikon to make one--which it isn't.

there is a 50mm f/1.2 manual focus lens, and adding a focus motor is
certainly possible. wherever did you get the idea that it was not?

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...mf_12/index.ht

Canon even did a 50/1.0 prime at one time, something that Nikon can't do
due to the narrow mount diameter.

then explain how someone ELSE made a 65mm f/0.75 lens:
http://www.muellerworld.com/dsc5071/kowa_lens-6.html

if they can do it, so could nikon, and a whole lot more elegantly too.

Nikon probably could make some equivalents of the BWLs (unless Canon's
patent on Fluorite coating is still valid), but they already ceded the
sports market to Canon, so sales would be dismal.

nikon does make equivalents and they're even available in white:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...vr_zoom70-200m
mf_28g_if/index.htm

and in fact, according to photozone's test, the nikon 70-200vr is even
a little better than canon's:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...28is/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...28vr/index.htm

Even when a person isn't going to fork out a couple of K for a lens,
it's easy to rent lenses for special needs. I.e. I saw someone at my
daughter's softball game with a BWL, and assumed it was mounted to
something like a 5D, but got closer and saw that it was on a mere 350D.
I talked to him about it, and he said he rented it for $25 from Keeble
and Shuchat, a full service camera store in Palo Alto.

nikon lenses can be rented too. big deal.

In any case the sales of the high end lenses that Nikon can't make would
be very small, but I think one of the reasons so many pros have moved
from Nikon to Canon goes beyond the availability of the high-end
full-frame digital bodies, it includes the vastly superior lens
selection, especially at the high end.

canon is a bit stronger with stabilized telephotos right now, but nikon
is stronger with wide angle lenses and some compelling consumer zooms
such as the 18-200vr and very affordable 55-200vr. canon users even
use nikon's wide angle lenses with the obvious shortcomings because
they're better.
Old July 17th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Matt Clara

"SMS" wrote in message
nospam wrote:

and changing mounts would not have been better. canon's breech mount
was very primitive and they *needed* to change it to improve its
reliability. it turned out to be a good decision. nikon's mount is
perfectly fine, and it continues to fulfill the needs of millions of
photographers. there is no major limitation with the mount nor is
there any need to change it.

The limit is that Nikon is unable to produce certain lenses due to the
limitations of the mount.

SNIP a bunch of made up garbage

Ah, I see the value of your commentary for what it is--a bunch of made up
****. Into the ****box you go.

--
www.mattclara.com

Old July 17th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:25:42 +0100, Tony Polson wrote:

You betcha. It's amazing how many photographers are clamoring for
Lensbabies. Ta ta, gotta run. B&H is sure to have a Cabbage Patch
Lensbaby patiently waiting for me, even if my Nikon isn't a D200.

Get in line!

Steven M Shill has orders in for five of them, one for each of his
Canon SLRs.

g When he realizes how little he uses them (if he uses those
indespensible lenses at all), maybe he'll sell me one at a good
price.

Old July 17th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:44:27 +1200, frederick wrote:

It's true that few amateurs would ever buy something like a 50/1.2 AF
lens, even if it were possible for Nikon to make one--which it isn't.

Please don't make stuff up.
Nikkor have made F mount 50, 55, and 58mm f1.2 lenses.

True, I used to own one of those 55mm f/1.2 Nikon beasts. But
waiting for SMS to stop making stuff up will be as fruitless as
waiting for Nikon or Canon to design a new 50mm f/0.9 lens AF lens.

Old July 17th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Matt Clara wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
nospam wrote:

and changing mounts would not have been better. canon's breech mount
was very primitive and they *needed* to change it to improve its
reliability. it turned out to be a good decision. nikon's mount is
perfectly fine, and it continues to fulfill the needs of millions of
photographers. there is no major limitation with the mount nor is
there any need to change it.

The limit is that Nikon is unable to produce certain lenses due to the
limitations of the mount.

SNIP a bunch of made up garbage

Ah, I see the value of your commentary for what it is--a bunch of made up
****. Into the ****box you go.

Wow, what an informative reply.
Old July 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

nospam wrote:

there is a 50mm f/1.2 manual focus lens, and adding a focus motor is
certainly possible. wherever did you get the idea that it was not?

It's not the ability to add a motor that's the issue, it's the ability
to do AF.

understand the technical limitations.
Old July 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

frederick wrote:
SMS wrote:

It's true that few amateurs would ever buy something like a 50/1.2 AF
lens, even if it were possible for Nikon to make one--which it isn't.

Please don't make stuff up.
Nikkor have made F mount 50, 55, and 58mm f1.2 lenses.

Not in AF. You can figure out the reason. It's been discussed a lot.
Old July 17th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil H.

"per" wrote in message

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Hmm. We're talking dSLRs here, not point and shoot cameras. P&S

cameras
have in body IS/VR [...]

Not so, both the Panasonic O.I.S. optical image stabilizator and the IS of
the Canon S5 have moving compensation lenses within their lenses!

And so do most Nikon Coolpix models with VR. Nikon had lens-shift
stabilization starting with the 8800 three years ago, and that method
continues with the P3, P4 and P5000 models. There is at least one Coolpix,
the S10, that uses sensor-shift for VR, but that is clearly not Nikon's
preferred method.

Neil

Old July 17th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Polson

SMS wrote:

Matt Clara wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
nospam wrote:

and changing mounts would not have been better. canon's breech mount
was very primitive and they *needed* to change it to improve its
reliability. it turned out to be a good decision. nikon's mount is
perfectly fine, and it continues to fulfill the needs of millions of
photographers. there is no major limitation with the mount nor is
there any need to change it.
The limit is that Nikon is unable to produce certain lenses due to the
limitations of the mount.

SNIP a bunch of made up garbage

Ah, I see the value of your commentary for what it is--a bunch of made up
****. Into the ****box you go.

Wow, what an informative reply.

Yes, it is both informative and 100% accurate.

You talk complete ****. You are a liability to Canon, because as soon
as people realise that you habitually tell lies about photo gear, they
may begin to question whether the brand you shill for is any good.

Old July 17th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

nospam wrote:

there is a 50mm f/1.2 manual focus lens, and adding a focus motor is
certainly possible. wherever did you get the idea that it was not?

It's not the ability to add a motor that's the issue, it's the ability
to do AF.

??

understand the technical limitations.

why don't you summarize them for us?