people photos stitching software?

Old March 1st 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default people photos stitching software?

If I take several shots of a large group of people, is there a software to
help me stitch them together?

The common stitching software for scenary won't work because people moves
between shots. If you stitch blindly at the photo boundary, you may get half
a person looking left and the other half looking right. In situation like
this, you have to take the entire person (or at least the entire head) from
either one of the photo. I've done this stitching manually; it is very time
consuming.

I don't expect the computer to be able to do this fully automatically, since
software cannot recognize what is half a person and what is an entire
person. However, computer-assisted stitching maybe possible and could save a
lot of time.

Old March 1st 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The common stitching software for scenary won't work because people moves
between shots. If you stitch blindly at the photo boundary, you may get
half a person looking left and the other half looking right. In situation
like this, you have to take the entire person (or at least the entire
head) from either one of the photo. I've done this stitching manually; it
is very time consuming.

I don't expect the computer to be able to do this fully automatically,
since software cannot recognize what is half a person and what is an
entire person. However, computer-assisted stitching maybe possible and
could save a lot of time.

If the person moves, it will never work, not matter what software you use.

Steve

Old March 1st 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Unless....you go in after the software gives it a go and fix the places
where it messed up.

Old March 1st 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006, Steve Mackie wrote:

I don't expect the computer to be able to do this fully automatically,
since software cannot recognize what is half a person and what is an
entire person. However, computer-assisted stitching maybe possible and
could save a lot of time.

If the person moves, it will never work, not matter what software you use.

Not true. While I have never done it, if you use software like PTGui you
can output as multi-layer TIFF and use masks to tell it from which layer to
get the image. I have seen this described someplace, but I don't recall
where. I suggest searching the archives of the
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoTools/ list.

Don www.donwiss.com/pictures/ (e-mail link at page bottoms).
Old March 1st 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Don Wiss wrote:
Not true. While I have never done it, if you use software like PTGui you
can output as multi-layer TIFF and use masks to tell it from which layer
get the image. I have seen this described someplace, but I don't recall
where.

Max Lyons' site?
http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr_tutorial.htm#seams

Old March 1st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"peter" wrote in message
If I take several shots of a large group of people, is there a software to
help me stitch them together?

The common stitching software for scenary won't work because people moves
between shots. If you stitch blindly at the photo boundary, you may get
half a person looking left and the other half looking right. In situation
like this, you have to take the entire person (or at least the entire
head) from either one of the photo. I've done this stitching manually; it
is very time consuming.

I don't expect the computer to be able to do this fully automatically,
since software cannot recognize what is half a person and what is an
entire person. However, computer-assisted stitching maybe possible and
could save a lot of time.

Not software, but it seems the solution might be to shoot with two identical
cameras, side by side, at virtually the same moment. Then stitching the
results into one photo.

Tom G.

Old March 1st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tom G wrote:

"peter" wrote in message

[...]

It's very do-able in software, but neither simple nor easy until after
you've gone up the learning curve. Look for a local class perhaps.

--
John McWilliams
Old March 1st 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

peter bedacht in news:%ngNf.4356$d61.199@trnddc05:

If I take several shots of a large group of people, is there a
software to help me stitch them together?

The common stitching software for scenary won't work because people
moves between shots. If you stitch blindly at the photo boundary, you
may get half a person looking left and the other half looking right.
In situation like this, you have to take the entire person (or at
least the entire head) from either one of the photo. I've done this
stitching manually; it is very time consuming.

I don't expect the computer to be able to do this fully automatically,
since software cannot recognize what is half a person and what is an
entire person. However, computer-assisted stitching maybe possible and
could save a lot of time.

Stitcher (I use 5.0) by Realviz lets you apply a 'stencil', which is
basically a mask that you can define on any part of any image. It prevents
that part from showing up in the final image. I use this function (as it is
intended) to cover up people or things that have moved between shots. It
works just fine.

JL
Old March 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"peter" wrote in message
If I take several shots of a large group of people, is there a
software to help me stitch them together?

The common stitching software for scenary won't work because people
moves between shots.

In fact it works quite well, but indeed not on full-auto mode. As long
as there is a significant overlap you'll get multiple possibilities on
a useful/eyes-open/facing-the-camera image.

A possible exception for automatic software is an MS research project
called "Group shot":
http://research.microsoft.com/projects/GroupShot/

Bart

Old March 2nd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:43:25 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

Not software, but it seems the solution might be to shoot with two identical
cameras, side by side, at virtually the same moment. Then stitching the
results into one photo.

It's very do-able in software, but neither simple nor easy until after
you've gone up the learning curve. Look for a local class perhaps.

Ahhhh... It's easy! Perhaps slightly beyond basic skills, but not
requiring a class.