Finding good spots to shoot

Old May 17th 05, 05:41 AM
Randy W. Sims

Default Finding good spots to shoot

How do you find good spots to shot? I know there are good shots to be
had in most places, but I guess one of the things I'm interested in is
finding events that might be worth looking into. For example, there is
an exhibit at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens right now, "Locomotion",
with a large model railroad with models of some of Atlanta's buildings
(see my gallery link in sig). I never would have known about this neat
exhibit except that I happened to go into a place that had a paper
opened up to a page that mentioned it, laying out on a table. Okay, so
the paper would be one place. But I thought maybe there might be a
mailing-list, newsgroup, etc, where photo hobbyist share resources and
information that would appeal more specifically to photo hobbyist as
opposed to weeding through current event notices, etc.

Randy.

--
First Shots:
http://thepierianspring.org/gallery/
Old May 17th 05, 07:15 AM
Stacey

Randy W. Sims wrote:

How do you find good spots to shot?

What I ussually do is make a "project" and try to follow through with it.
One year I went around shooting the local parks, trying to get a different
perspective and how they fit into the city. Another time I went looking for
old gas stations that looked interesting. This spring I got hung up on
shooting macros of flowers. For me if I have some sort of focus on what I'm
going out looking for, I seem to find interesting things to shoot even if
it doesn't turn out to be what I went out looking for in the first place?

One thing I always avoid is going to place that have been shot a zillions
times before. For me there are too many cool things that have never been
shot to bother with yet another image of half dome etc.

--

Stacey
Old May 17th 05, 07:54 AM
Randy W. Sims

Stacey wrote:
Randy W. Sims wrote:

How do you find good spots to shot?

What I ussually do is make a "project" and try to follow through with it.
One year I went around shooting the local parks, trying to get a different
perspective and how they fit into the city. Another time I went looking for
old gas stations that looked interesting. This spring I got hung up on
shooting macros of flowers. For me if I have some sort of focus on what I'm
going out looking for, I seem to find interesting things to shoot even if
it doesn't turn out to be what I went out looking for in the first place?

That brings up another question: How do you find old gas stations? I
took some shots of an old mill near where I live a couple weeks ago, and
I was thinking I would like to find some other mills, but I don't know
how to go about finding them. I really like old buildings, barns,
houses, mills, etc.

Something occured to me the other day. I was sitting in my local Barnes
and Noble Bookstore, sipping a valencia mocha when I looked over beside
me and spotted some books on Georgia (USA). I always ignored them,
thinking they were tourist books. Well, since I've started photagraphing
stuff, I guess I am a tourist. Flipping through some of them gives me
some ideas for places to go. I wonder what other resources are available.

One thing I always avoid is going to place that have been shot a zillions
times before. For me there are too many cool things that have never been
shot to bother with yet another image of half dome etc.

At this stage (beginner), I actually want to photograph things that have
already been done before. It gives me something to compare to. I don't
have anyone that I can show my efforts to that can give me the necessary
critical feedback I need to improve. But if I mimic more experienced
photogs, I can compare mine against theirs and hopefully learn something
that way.

Randy.

Old May 17th 05, 08:15 AM
Stacey

Randy W. Sims wrote:

Stacey wrote:
Randy W. Sims wrote:

How do you find good spots to shot?

What I ussually do is make a "project" and try to follow through with it.
One year I went around shooting the local parks, trying to get a
different perspective and how they fit into the city. Another time I went
looking for old gas stations that looked interesting.

That brings up another question: How do you find old gas stations? I
took some shots of an old mill near where I live a couple weeks ago, and
I was thinking I would like to find some other mills, but I don't know
how to go about finding them. I really like old buildings, barns,
houses, mills, etc.

Road trip! Load up your camera gear, get some road maps and go out looking.

Something occured to me the other day. I was sitting in my local Barnes
and Noble Bookstore, sipping a valencia mocha when I looked over beside
me and spotted some books on Georgia (USA). I always ignored them,
thinking they were tourist books. Well, since I've started photagraphing
stuff, I guess I am a tourist.

Exactly. Your must "tour" to be a tourist. I've found some cool spots just
driving around on the backroads.

One thing I always avoid is going to place that have been shot a zillions
times before. For me there are too many cool things that have never been
shot to bother with yet another image of half dome etc.

At this stage (beginner), I actually want to photograph things that have
already been done before. It gives me something to compare to.

But it's hard to really get any "style" trying to repeat what someone else
has done.

I don't
have anyone that I can show my efforts to that can give me the necessary
critical feedback I need to improve.

Sure you do, just post them online and wait for the critiques..

--

Stacey
Old May 17th 05, 08:31 AM
imagine

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
How do you find good spots to shot? I know there are good shots to be had
in most places, but I guess one of the things I'm interested in is finding
events that might be worth looking into

I usually spend my time hanging around parks and other courting spots
(discretely concealed, naturally) in order to add worthwhile photo's to my
'Peeping Tom' gallery.

A decent lens 300mm -400mm is usually essential - and always use a monopod
to help you with the necessary long exposure (no pun intended) times, as
they are much easier to run with than a cumbersome tripod. Further, on the
subject of running, sensible footwear is a must - don't skimp on decent
trainers, they could well help you avoid unpleasantness.

A stroll around the neighbourhood late at night might well reveal some
bedroom curtains left carelessly open - and ideal opportunity if you go
prepared (as I always do) Better still, if you are nimble you might be
lucky enough to find a convenient tree adjacent to the un-curtained window.

Happily, my branch of our hobby is on the up, at the moment - thanks to the
extraordinary growth in public sexual intercourse.

There are some 'Tom' purists, however, (myself included) who deplore the
growth of wanton exhibitionism. Spying you with a camera, many couples
these days are more likely to invite you over to photograph their lewd acts
in excruciating detail! This is quite a change from the days when 'peeping'
was a true sport - and one that carried the very real risk of a broken nose
if you were tardy about getting away once spotted!

In my opinion, every sport requires that vital risk if it is to remain
challenging and enjoyable. Couples who are begging to be spied on don't
really do anything for me - but, of course, that's just my opinion.

Old May 17th 05, 12:16 PM
Ivor Longwonne

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
How do you find good spots to shot? I know there are good shots to be had
in most places,

(Snip)

Best spots to sho(o)t are leopards!!!

Old May 17th 05, 03:06 PM
Frank ess

Randy W. Sims wrote:
Stacey wrote:
Randy W. Sims wrote:

[...]

Are you for real?

--
Frank "Grumpy this morning" ess

PS: The best photographs come from being in love with something and
someone, and dragging a camera into the relationshp; the other
conjugation of the relationship (loving a camera and trying to find
something to love with it) sometimes comes close, but never a cigar. I
think.

F e

PPS: I'll bet you will be interested in this
http://worldphotoday2005.com/

Old May 17th 05, 03:41 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:15:25 -0400, Stacey wrote:

But it's hard to really get any "style" trying to repeat what someone else
has done.

Good way to get technique though. A time-tested method, in fact.

I can't find a quote, but I believe Picasso suggested that where
one's imitations diverge from the original, one can find one's own
style. Even if it's not apocryphal, he may have been pulling
someone's chain, of course. Nevertheless, I like the advice.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old May 17th 05, 08:25 PM
Mr. Mark

How do you find good spots to shot?

My girlfriend and I are making a point to tour all of Florida's state parks.
Over 180 of them, so this keeps us busy on the weekends.

We're shooting mostly nature and wildlife, but also there are people in the
parks to shoot. We also tool around in downtown Tampa sometimes. And of
course we have at least 1 camera between us at all times and everywhere we
go because "you never know what you might find."

So find something that interests you and shoot it. Architecture, nature,
people, whatever. I see a few old barns in your gallery. I bet there are
LOTS of old barns in the Atlanta area. Maybe you can find a few north of
there that still say "see rock city".. Those are rare if they even still
exist.

Hope this helps.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old May 17th 05, 08:33 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

"Mr. Mark" writes:

How do you find good spots to shot?

[snip]

We're shooting mostly nature and wildlife, but also there are people in the
parks to shoot.

LOL.

Dragan

--