8Mp Digital The Theoretical 35mm Quality Equivelant

Old December 10th 04, 09:52 PM
nospam

In article , Jon Pike
wrote:

That's not what I'm saying at all.
There's a difference between requiring someone to know tintypes,
degarrotypes, and pinhole cameras,
and requiring that they actually know what f/stops and shutter speeds do.
You don't learn these things when you pick up a digicam and just start
clicking away with all settings on full auto.

nor do you learn them when you pick up a film camera and just start
clicking away with all settings on full auto.

many digicams have manual settings and many film cameras are purely
automatic. lack of features in a given camera is not a shortcoming of
the medium, but of the choice of camera. and there is still plenty to
learn, even with a camera on automatic, such as lighting, composition,
etc.

Even if you know photoshop
inside and out, you're still not doing photoGRAPHY if you don't have a
handle on such simple basics.

so learn the basics.

if the person wants to learn photography, they'll learn with whatever
tools they have. motivation to learn is the key, not choice of camera
or medium.

Old December 10th 04, 10:13 PM
Skip M

"Jon Pike" wrote in message
. 159...
"Skip M" wrote in

"Jon Pike" wrote in message
. 159...
"Skip M" wrote in

And, vis a vis your earlier statement, film doesn't have higher
resolution than digital. Some film may have higher resolution than
some digital cameras, same with accutance. But I'd challenge you to
find a film that competes with the high resolution MF backs,

Any medium format film.

or the
Mamiya ZD, or 35mm that competes with the Canon 1Ds mkII, or even
the 20D.

Any 35mm film.

You can discuss lpmm, but in real life, film does not offer
discernable advantages over digital, any more. The only reason I
continue to shoot film is that I like some of the papers available
for printing negs better than the papers available for digital
prints.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

had a feeling you'd answer like that. That is just indicative of
either
your bias or your ignorance. There is no 35mm film that can compete
in resolution terms or any other basis with the 1Ds mkII, and very few
that can compete with the 20D. And medium format can't keep up with
the 22-25mp of the digital backs But I'm sure you already know that,
and are merely trolling.
I probably won't killfile you, just for the amusement your further
answers may provide.

Where's your proof of that?
Don't have any?
Didn't think so.

And "proof" doesn't mean "it looks better to me!"
It means quantified, measured results.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

Funny thing, but yes, I do...

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta....summary1.html

Next time, don't be so broad in either your statements or beliefs.
Remember, this graph was done before the 20D, 1D mkII and 1Ds mkII, and the
Nikon D2h were introduced.
So, K64 is right there with the 20D and 1D mkII, Velvia is right there with
the 1Ds mkII. Tech Pan still has a slight advantage but it is no longer in
production.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 10th 04, 10:16 PM
Skip M

"me" wrote in message

Who gives a dam what you do?
Film is better no matter how hard some people try not to accept it!
me

It looks like you're getting a little desperate to not accept the idea that
digital has caught up with film, in fact did so some time ago, and in some
cases, surpasses it.