Photoshop for iPad Release

Old November 5th 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photoshop for iPad Release

For those who care, Photoshop for iPad has arrived along with a whole bunch
of updates/upgrades for ACR, PS CC, LR CC Classic, LR, and Bridge.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop/id1457771281
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ipad.html

Savageduck

Old November 5th 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 5, 2019, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In article
.com,
says...

For those who care, Photoshop for iPad has arrived along with a whole bunch
of updates/upgrades for ACR, PS CC, LR CC Classic, LR, and Bridge.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop/id1457771281
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/ipad.html

Do you use it on your ipad and if so, how do you find
it?

I tried it yesterday on a few files. Just like PS CC it does not process RAW
files so initial RAW processing has to be done on Lightroom for iPad. That is
pretty much the same status as Affinity Photo for iPad.

It might not be quite ready for primetime. As far as editing functions go
they are all there, including layers of various type. Integration with the
Apple Pencil is very good, and allows for brush size changes, & density via
Pencil pressure. However, this is not a complete app and there are some
features such as *Effects* & *Smart Filters* which are placeholders waiting
for future promised updates. That said it will do for now.

Of course, event hough PS for iPad is basically free, the full features and
LR, desktop sync benefits are only delivered when subscribed to some level of
the Adobe CC program.

Am wondering how usable it is on a tiny 10" screen.

It is surprisingly useful, as is LR, and Affinity Photo for iPad.

Savageduck

Old November 5th 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Davoud[_4_]

Alfred Molon:
Do you use it on your ipad and if so, how do you find
it?

Users are whining their heads off over an incomplete feature set relative to
Photoshop 2020. Adobe promises that more features are coming.

A bigger problem, as I see it, is file handling. Briefly, to get a file from
Lightroom Classic into PS for Mobile, one must open the file in PS 2020 on
the desktop and save it to the Document cloud (not the same as Creative
Cloud). Then the file is available—as a special type of .PSD—in PS for
Mobile.PS for Mobile does not deal with any other format, including raw. The
photo is auto-saved into the Document cloud. To get the edited photo back
into Lr Classic, open in in Photoshop 2020 on the desktop and Save as... to
the HD, then import into Lr Classic. Or log into assets.adobe.com from a web
browser and download it from there. IOW, there is no round-trip from
Lightroom Classic to Photoshop for Mobile. That is a problem because the
standard professional desktop workflow is Camera Lightroom Classic
Photoshop Lightroom Classic
..
Am wondering how usable it is on a tiny 10" screen.

Photoshop for Mobile is available only for iPad Pro. My experience in editing
half a dozen or so photos is that there is ample space on the 12.9-inch
screen.

Old November 5th 19, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Davoud[_4_]

Savageduck:
I tried it yesterday on a few files. Just like PS CC it does not process RAW
files so initial RAW processing has to be done on Lightroom for iPad. That is
pretty much the same status as Affinity Photo for iPad.

What does that mean, “Just like PS CC?” Photoshop handles raw files. All
files to be edited in Photoshop for Mobile must be converted to a special
..PSD format.

It might not be quite ready for primetime. As far as editing functions go
they are all there, including layers of various type.

You couldn’t possibly have tried it if you think the editing functions are
all there. No curves, no resizing, tons of things are missing.

Old November 6th 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
David Empson

Davoud wrote:

Alfred Molon:
Am wondering how usable it is on a tiny 10" screen.

Photoshop for Mobile is available only for iPad Pro.

The App Store listing for "Adobe Photoshop" says it supports all iPad
models able to run iOS 13, including ones as small as the iPad mini 4
(7.9-inch). For example, App Store says it would work on the iPad Air 2
I happen to have handy.

The question is whether it actually works well enough on anything with a
small display. I can't answer that as I have never used Photoshop
anywhere and have no intention of starting (but I am interested in the
answer to Alfred's question as it is the sort of thing some people might
ask me). Savageduck seems to think it is OK.

My experience in editing half a dozen or so photos is that there is ample
space on the 12.9-inch screen.

That isn't relevant to Alfred's question.

Even if Photoshop did require an iPad Pro, there are iPad Pro models as
small as 9.7-inch in the first generation, as well as the 10.5-inch and
current 11-inch models.

--
David Empson

Old November 6th 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 5, 2019, Davoud wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

Savageduck:
I tried it yesterday on a few files. Just like PS CC it does not process RAW
files so initial RAW processing has to be done on Lightroom for iPad. That
is
pretty much the same status as Affinity Photo for iPad.

What does that mean, “Just like PS CC?” Photoshop handles raw files.

It means just what I had stated, PS CC does not natively handle any RAW
files. It has to use either ACR, or the ACR engine in LR CCC to
process/demosaic the RAW file.

All files to be edited in Photoshop for Mobile must be converted to a special .PSD format.

Correct. However, that PSD file can be obtained from online files, the Camera
Roll, the iPad camera(or LR camera), or an LR for iPad processed file which
can be opened in PS for iPad.

It might not be quite ready for primetime. As far as editing functions go
they are all there, including layers of various type.

You couldn’t possibly have tried it if you think the editing functions are
all there. No curves, no resizing, tons of things are missing.

Actually I have tried it on two files yesterday, and on another two today. As
I have said, this is not quite ready for primetime as there are tools and
features to be added via updates, so I might have over stated that “all the
editing functions were there". However, for now we do have some layer types,
including adjustment layers providing Brightness/Contrast, Color Balance,
Hue/Saturation, B&W, Exposure, and Levels. All of these layers can be masked.
Among the tools are the usual suspects.

I have hopes that Adobe will deliver on the missing features quite soon, but
personally LR for iPad + Affinity Photo for iPad currently do a better job
than the LR+PS for iPad combo.

Savageduck

Old November 6th 19, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 5, 2019, David Empson wrote
(in .nz):

Davoud wrote:

Alfred Molon:
Am wondering how usable it is on a tiny 10" screen.

Photoshop for Mobile is available only for iPad Pro.

The App Store listing for "Adobe Photoshop" says it supports all iPad
models able to run iOS 13, including ones as small as the iPad mini 4
(7.9-inch). For example, App Store says it would work on the iPad Air 2
I happen to have handy.

The question is whether it actually works well enough on anything with a
small display. I can't answer that as I have never used Photoshop
anywhere and have no intention of starting (but I am interested in the
answer to Alfred's question as it is the sort of thing some people might
ask me). Savageduck seems to think it is OK.

In my opinion PS for iPad is OK. However, it does need some nursing to
maturity, and currently I would choose Affinity Photo for iPad over it. That
could well change with the promised updates.

My experience in editing half a dozen or so photos is that there is ample
space on the 12.9-inch screen.

That isn't relevant to Alfred's question.

Even if Photoshop did require an iPad Pro, there are iPad Pro models as
small as 9.7-inch in the first generation, as well as the 10.5-inch and
current 11-inch models.

I am currently using a 10.5 inch, 512GB iPad Pro. As to how it performs on a
non-iPad Pro I can only speculate, and go by the Apple Store guidelines.

Savageduck

Old November 6th 19, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Davoud[_4_]

David Empson:

The App Store listing for "Adobe Photoshop" says it supports all iPad
models able to run iOS 13, including ones as small as the iPad mini 4
(7.9-inch). For example, App Store says it would work on the iPad Air 2
I happen to have handy.

That is a change from Adobe’s original announcement and from what an Adobe
engineer told me about a year ago. “It needs the processing power of the
big iPad Pro and the big iPad’s long battery life.”

The question is whether it actually works well enough on anything with a small display. I can't answer that as I have never used Photoshop

With the large number of tool palettes that will be available when Photoshop
for Mobile is a finished product I would not expect it to present a very
satisfactory experience on a small display.

Old November 6th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.mobile.ipad
Davoud[_4_]

Alfred Molon:
Do you use it on your ipad and if so, how do you find it?

Here is one of my first edits in Photoshop on iPad Pro. Selective contrast
and brightness, eye color punched up, some excess glare reduced.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/49021571838/