Lightroom Classic CC problem

Old February 8th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Lightroom Classic CC problem

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| if you are on line at all, google will have their fingers in what
| you're doing in ways you never even thought of, making it *very*
| difficult to avoid all of it.

Famous last words of the ostrich, before it
gets kicked in the ass while burying its head.
Ostriches always have a good rationalization
as to why lifting a finger is not only tiring but
actually useless.

that would be you.

I won't try to explain how to avoid Google.

only because you don't want to embarrass yourself.

It
does take a bit of effort. People who care to
can figure it out.

no they can't, nor can they even if they do.

it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
on you in *other* ways.

for example:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706
Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
credit and debit card transactions in the US.

you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.

google's entire business model is tracking and they have ways of doing
it in ways you can't even begin to imagine.

if you don't know how they're doing it, you can't even start to block
it.
Old February 8th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
| fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
| on you in *other* ways.
|
| for example:
| http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706
| Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
| credit and debit card transactions in the US.

Read your own link. If you're walking around
with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar. If
you shop online you might be tracked. If you
don't add Google properties to your HOSTS file
you're being tracked on most webpages. Probably
at least 70%. and that's just Google.

This list is for use with Acrylic DNS proxy. (Free
software.) Normal HOSTS file doesn't accept
wildcards.

127.0.0.1 *.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 *.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googlecommerce.com
127.0.0.1 *.scorecardresearch.com
127.0.0.1 *.1e100.com
127.0.0.1 *.1e100.net
127.0.0.1 *.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 *.doubleclick.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 *.googletagmanager.com
127.0.0.1 *.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 fonts.googleapis.com
127.0.0.1 googleadapis.l.google.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.gstatic.com
127.0.0.1 plusone.google.com
127.0.0.1 cse.google.com
127.0.0.1 www.google.com/cse
127.0.0.1 www.youtube-nocookie.com
127.0.0.1 *.appspot.com

| you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
| you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.

No. Like I said, it does take a little bit
of effort. But yes, it's much easier, in a
sense, to just be lazy and tell everyone else
that's the only option. And an all-or-nothing
logic is also a clever trick to maintain laziness:
I can't stop it all, so why bother?

I say it's easier in a sense because ignoring
reality is actually a very demanding, anxiety-
provoking pastime. Laziness is exhausting. If
you related to it instead then you wouldn't
feel compelled to constantly tell people
they're wrong because you wouldn't be trying
to hide from yourself.

Old February 8th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| it's impossible to completely prevent google tracking without going
| fully offline, and even then, google can (and does) gather information
| on you in *other* ways.
|
| for example:
| http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40027706
| Announcing the service, Google said that it captures around 70% of
| credit and debit card transactions in the US.

Read your own link.

i did, as well as many others.

If you're walking around
with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar.

not by google, unless it's an android phone.

If you shop online you might be tracked.

online shopping is just one method of tracking.

the point of the article is that google is now tracking purchases made
*offline*, in ordinary brick&mortar stores, by capturing credit/debit
transactions.

If you
don't add Google properties to your HOSTS file
you're being tracked on most webpages.

first of all, you don't know *all* of google's properties and second,
you have *no* control over what web sites you visit do.

Probably
at least 70%. and that's just Google.

This list is for use with Acrylic DNS proxy. (Free
software.) Normal HOSTS file doesn't accept
wildcards.

which is why a hosts file is not an effective way to block everything.

a host file does have its use, but there are much better ways to block
stuff.

| you would need to pay cash for *everything* to avoid that, or hope that
| you're always in the 30% that isn't captured.

No. Like I said, it does take a little bit
of effort.

much more than a little bit.

But yes, it's much easier, in a
sense, to just be lazy and tell everyone else
that's the only option. And an all-or-nothing
logic is also a clever trick to maintain laziness:
I can't stop it all, so why bother?

it's not about being lazy. it's that the amount of effort is *much*
more than you think it is.

no matter how hard you try, google, facebook, etc. are *better* at
extracting data than you are at blocking it.

if you leak *anything* (and you do), then you can be (and most
certainly are being) tracked.

you can pretend that your simple hosts file blocks everything, but it
doesn't. at best, it limits it, a little.
Old February 9th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| i said it's for all intents not possible to block everything and that
| it only takes a tiny leak to piece the entire puzzle together.

Another way to look at it: If naysayers like yourself
would just stop arguing and spend even a few minutes
dealing with the issue -- find a techie friend to set
you up with a HOSTS file and adjust your privacy
settings in software you use -- then the spyware
economy would collapse. You can easily reduce the
spying on yourself to a trickle.

The spyware business model only works because
people like you can't be bothered to deal with the
control you have. It's not about having total privacy.
The point is just to not make it easy for companies
like Google to have a dossier on you for advertising.

A HOSTS file and Firefox with NoScript would go a
very long way. If you don't know how to do that
then ask someone to help. (I recently set up my
ladyfriend with NoScript. I thought she'd complain,
but she actually understood the point immediately
and has no trouble deciding which script sources to
allow. Like most people, she was stunned to see how
many unfamiliar domains were running script in her
browser.)

In addition to those steps, set cookies to delete
when the browser closes. Choose privacy settings in your
phone. It's not rocket science and it's not a lot of work.
If you don't have the patience for even that much then
the single best "bang for the buck" is to get a HOSTS
file. You can get one he

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

All you have to do is download it and put it in the
right folder. Most people can handle that much.

Companies like Google get away with what they're
doing *only* because people like you want convenience
and can't be bothered to adjust even the most basic
things. Instead you'd rather make excuses.

Anyway, do as you like. I'm not going to argue
anymore. It was worthwhile only insofar as it
might have provided some information useful
to others.

Old February 9th 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:20:27 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/8/2018 4:27 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 23:58:03 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/7/2018 10:12 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:57:03 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 2/5/2018 10:05 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
My Lightroom Classic CC seems to have decided to give up printing.
When I select Print it brings up the appropriate screen identifying
the printer and the paper size and then a notice pops up which says
something like:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

As far as I know all my software is up to date. Is this just my
problem or have other people also experienced it?

W10 of course.

Call Adobe support. it comes with the package. The last time i had an
issue, I I used them, and they remotely found and fixed the problem.

Preliminary discussions suggest they want me to file a Crash Report.
This should happen automatically. As far as I can tell Crash Reporter
is not working (known problem) and I have not yet found sensible
advice about getting it working. No, I haven't turned it off. Nor have
I found a setting where I can turn it on or off, although there is
supposed to be one.

I've fallen in the sea and somebody has stolen my life belt. :-(

Hopefully someone from Adobe will respond.

One trick I have used is deleting the preference file. When you start it
again it will create the default preference file.
I found this on the web:
Now just hold Shift-Option (on Windows it's Shift-Alt thanks Rob Sylvan)
and restart Lightroom. Keep holding them down and the dialog below will
appear. Click “Reset Preferences” and it installs a factory fresh set of
preferences for you, and the problems you were having right along with it.
hth

I have seen that and have been tempted to try it, but that could only
confuse the issue. I have found that for the last severaal months
people have been reporting problem with Crash Reporter. Mine certainly
is not working and has not created any reports.

You have nothing to lose by deleting preferences. One of the Adobe
product managers suggested that to me several years ago. When I have
weird issues with the CC products that is the first thing I try. It has
worked more times than not.
However, it's your decision.

Adobe is now actively helping me. I reset preferences and it made no
difference. I have done a clean install and wowee! it works! The
problem was that this was with a new Lightroom Catalog. I switched the
catalog setting over to my old one and - behold! It started crashing
again. That must mean something.

I have yet to hear back from Adobe. In the meantime I am trying to
sort out Crash Reporter. Life would be easier if it worked.

Eric Stevens
Old February 9th 18, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Glad you got it working.

--
PeterN
Old February 9th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I have yet to hear back from Adobe. In the meantime I am trying to
sort out Crash Reporter. Life would be easier if it worked.

welcome to windows.
Old February 9th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| i said it's for all intents not possible to block everything and that
| it only takes a tiny leak to piece the entire puzzle together.

Another way to look at it: If naysayers like yourself
would just stop arguing and spend even a few minutes
dealing with the issue -- find a techie friend to set
you up with a HOSTS file and adjust your privacy
settings in software you use -- then the spyware
economy would collapse. You can easily reduce the
spying on yourself to a trickle.

you need to get off your high horse.

not only do i have a hosts file, which is appropriate for blocking
*some* sites (not all), but i also use *far* more sophisticated and
easier to use tools that can automatically detect and block suspicious
sites on the fly. i also use more than one browser, configured from
very locked down to very (but not fully) open, depending on the site.

which *still* misses the point, in that you *can't* block everything
unless you go off the grid, and even then, you're still being tracked.

you *are* leaking data, far more than you realize and in ways you
haven't thought of, ones which google, facebook and others have known
for years.

for online, start he
https://panopticlick.eff.org
https://amiunique.org/fp

The spyware business model only works because
people like you can't be bothered to deal with the
control you have. It's not about having total privacy.
The point is just to not make it easy for companies
like Google to have a dossier on you for advertising.

another one of your incorrect assumptions.

you have *no* idea what i do or don't do in regards to google or other
companies.

Anyway, do as you like. I'm not going to argue
anymore. It was worthwhile only insofar as it
might have provided some information useful
to others.

except you didn't.

all you did was demonstrate how little you know about the topic.
Old February 9th 18, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:32:46 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Companies like Google get away with what they're
doing

What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?
Old February 9th 18, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

Companies like Google get away with what they're
doing

What are they getting away with? What are they doing that damages me?

You're a oatmeal kinda guy, right? :-))
--
teleportation kills