HDR and Stepping out a Panorama

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 7th 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alienjones[_5_]

Default HDR and Stepping out a Panorama

clandestin_écureuil wrote:
Alienjones wrote:
http://www.douglasjames.com.au/examples/HDRatdawn.htm

For the sheep bleating in the background... Baaaaah.

Please don't let me interrupt your squabble with various posters, many
of whom I have found to make considerate, polite and informative posts,
but you have aroused my curiosity. When you refer to a "stepped out"
panorama, you are actually referring to what is usually known as a
linear panorama are you not?

When I did my second photography unit in college we were taught about
linear panoramas as against rotational or pivotal panoramas. I did one
as an assignment for credit in that course, using a mini-tripod clamped
to a luggage carrier mounted on my mountain bike, a device created by my
father. Using the tripod's inbuilt level and the bike's computer I could
move an exact distance before each shot, making the final "assembly"
less arduous and the result more consistent. The only trouble I had
initially, causing me to wait for a clear day, was with constantly
moving clouds. The outcome was pleasing and the project was interesting,
it earned me a Distinction (but not a High Distinction unfortunately).

Why do you choose to re-name a well established procedure? Calling it
"stepped out" sounds clumsy and imprecise to my thinking. Was there a
reason why you did that? Are you actually attempting to do this
hand-held and walking rather than mounted in some form?

Secret Squirrel

When I make linear panoramas I use a trolly on a fold up "rail" that
serves the same purpose as your bicycle mount did.

The "step" thing goes back nearly a year to when I suggested to Troy
Piggins he might find more challenge in making "stepped out" panoramas
than rotational ones. The trolls picked it up and ran with it. Later I
fueled the flames by posting an example I'd taken a mere 6" apart. It
was part of a 50 frame panorama.

Anyway... You are right. They are linear panoramas. I used the "stepped
out" description to separate ones taken using my purpose built rail to
the quick and dirty ones made by walking along a path.

As you probably know, there is quite a lot of work in making one, even
if you use a rail. Even more work when the camera is hand held. The
theme from the gallery of trolls has changed from "it can't be done" to
"it can be done but..." after the fanboi troll actually did some
research ...into the current flame. I didn't do it cleanly enough.

The thing about Usenet that will eventually see it's demise is the way
in which a couple of key individuals can create an environment in a
group that prevents people from engaging in discussion for fear of
attracting the attention of one of them.

Excuse me if I adopt a low tolerance to the noise in the group. No one
is immune from them or insulated from them. The best idea is to ignore
the flak. I'll happily talk to anyone (except the trolls) who has
anything photographic to talk about.