CHDK firmware on a Canon Powershot a720

Old February 11th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default CHDK firmware on a Canon Powershot a720

Hi.

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
Canon Powershot a720.
The version I'm trying to install can be found he
http://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/

I try to follow the instructions listed he
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
(having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
the firmware.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
loaded properly?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
Old February 11th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On 11 feb, 21:25, sobriquet wrote:
Hi.

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to load CHDK firmware on my new
Canon Powershot a720.
The version I'm trying to install can be found hehttp://malbe.nm.ru/chdk/

I try to follow the instructions listed hehttp://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

But when I put the specified files in the root folder of the SD card
(having formatted the 1 GB card prior to that step in the camera) and
I start up in play mode, there is still no option in the menu to load
the firmware.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to get the firmware
loaded properly?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
It seems to work fine.
Old February 12th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:13:16 -0800 (PST), sobriquet
wrote:

[...]

How do you erase images that are no longer required?
Do you have to unlock, erase them, then lock again to
safeguard the hack.
Old February 12th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

wrote:
[...]

safeguard the hack.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

No, despite the lock on the card, you can erase images on the card
from the camera. Very conveniently in fact, because you can use the
filebrowser from the hacked firmware.
It only refuses to delete them if you try to erase them from a memory
card reader while the card is locked.
Old February 12th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Sneddon

In message
,
sobriquet writes
On 12 feb, 01:27, irwell wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:13:16 -0800 (PST), sobriquet

Nevermind.. I think I managed to circumvent the issue by simply
locking the SD card so the firmware is loaded automatically.
It seems to work fine.

*How do you erase images that are no longer required?

No, despite the lock on the card, you can erase images on the card
from the camera.

The "lock" on an SD card is not a real write-protect wired into a
switch, it's a tab whose position the SD card socket can read as
"locked" or "not locked" (a bit like the write-protect tab on a floppy
disc). It's up to software in the camera or card reader to decide
whether to permit write/erase operations on the SD card, and the tab can
be overridden if necessary.

From what I understand the CHDK software treats the "lock" position as
a further verification that this card is to be used in CHDK mode, and it
will write data and erase the card as necessary. Once you pull the card
out and put it into an external card reader or similar, the lock tab's
position will be honoured so if you then want to erase or write new data
to the card you need to reset the tab position.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
Old February 13th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the links,
have managed to install it all on my Canon SD1000, loads of info
there, the RAW feature is nice.
Old March 9th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 4:13 pm, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

where did you get the PS.fir file? According to the Wiki page,
there're 2 files needed to copy over SD card:

Q. How do I get CHDK onto my camera's SD memory card?

A. Follow these steps:

* Remove the SD card from your camera and put it in the card
reader of your PC.
* Copy the files PS.fir and Diskboot.bin into the root folder of
your SD card.
* If you are on a Mac, read and follow this link
* Put the SD card back into the camera.