Is there a lens mount adapter for nikon d80 and seimar/rokunar lens?

Old April 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
mindspring

Default Is there a lens mount adapter for nikon d80 and seimar/rokunar lens?

HI Folks

I have a NIkon d80 SLR and my husband has a bunch of old lenses he used to
use for his olympus ompc. But these are generic lenses so he had to use a
lens mount adapter. This adapter does not fit on the D80, but is there a
lens mount adapter that I can use for the D80 so I can use these nice
lenses?

THey are Rokunar MC auto zoom 1:5.6 75-300mm - no k8610109

the other is Seimar 1:6.3 , f=400m, 820788

I also have this SAKAR olympus flash, it is 77D-0. IS this compatible with
some kind of adapter?

Thanks sooo much

Old April 29th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Apr 29, 12:12 pm, "mindspring" wrote:
HI Folks

I have a NIkon d80 SLR and my husband has a bunch of old lenses he used to
use for his olympus ompc. But these are generic lenses so he had to use a
lens mount adapter. This adapter does not fit on the D80, but is there a
lens mount adapter that I can use for the D80 so I can use these nice
lenses?

THey are Rokunar MC auto zoom 1:5.6 75-300mm - no k8610109

the other is Seimar 1:6.3 , f=400m, 820788

I also have this SAKAR olympus flash, it is 77D-0. IS this compatible with
some kind of adapter?

Thanks sooo much

If there is, it won't be cheap.

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Old April 29th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article . net,
mindspring wrote:

HI Folks

I have a NIkon d80 SLR and my husband has a bunch of old lenses he used to
use for his olympus ompc. But these are generic lenses so he had to use a
lens mount adapter. This adapter does not fit on the D80, but is there a
lens mount adapter that I can use for the D80 so I can use these nice
lenses?

THey are Rokunar MC auto zoom 1:5.6 75-300mm - no k8610109

the other is Seimar 1:6.3 , f=400m, 820788

when you say 'generic lenses' - do you mean a t-mount? or something
like the tamron adaptall? either way, finding a nikon adapter
(particularly a t-mount) won't be a huge problem, and the lenses should
work fine, but with no metering at all (and no autofocus, obviously).

on the other hand, if they are dedicated olympus mount lenses, it will
probably not work at all. the registration distance for olympus is
slighly longer than for nikon, so even if you found an adapter, it
wouldn't focus to infinity unless it had an additional lens element in
it, and that would compromise the image quality. it is also possible
that the olympus lens mount has protruding mechanical parts that would
preclude it from mounting.

and in my brief google search, i found:

http://forums.popphoto.com/camera/bo...0&thread.id=10
0700

is that you?

I also have this SAKAR olympus flash, it is 77D-0. IS this compatible with
some kind of adapter?

some older flashes had high trigger voltages and can fry modern
cameras. i don't see a listing for that flash, so either you need to
measure the voltage, or just play it safe with a wein safesync adapter.
that adapter also takes care of the second issue of the extra pins on
the hotshoe of the flash possibly conflicting with the ones on the
camera.

the other issue is that the flash will only work in manual mode (where
you set the f/stop based on distance) or automatic mode (where the
flash itself measures the light). the camera's ttl flash system will
not work, and you will probably also need to manually disable ttl flash
in the menus.

nikon's i-ttl flash system is excellent, and even the low end nikon
sb-400 will be significantly more flexible than messing around with the
sakar. keep in mind that the nikon sb-400 flash isn't that much more
money than the wein safesync adapter...
Old April 30th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"mindspring" wrote in message
ink.net...
HI Folks

I have a NIkon d80 SLR and my husband has a bunch of old lenses he used to
use for his olympus ompc. But these are generic lenses so he had to use a
lens mount adapter. This adapter does not fit on the D80, but is there a
lens mount adapter that I can use for the D80 so I can use these nice
lenses?

THey are Rokunar MC auto zoom 1:5.6 75-300mm - no k8610109

Don't do it.
You can buy new latest Nikon 70-300mm lenses that Autofocus & Autoexposure
with your
D80 for about $100.

Even if you could adapt those old lenses you would have to focus manually
and
you would have to use trial and error for proper exposure.

Old May 1st 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
mindspring

"mindspring" wrote in message
ink.net...
HI Folks

I have a NIkon d80 SLR and my husband has a bunch of old lenses he used to
use for his olympus ompc. But these are generic lenses so he had to use a
lens mount adapter. This adapter does not fit on the D80, but is there a
lens mount adapter that I can use for the D80 so I can use these nice
lenses?

THey are Rokunar MC auto zoom 1:5.6 75-300mm - no k8610109

the other is Seimar 1:6.3 , f=400m, 820788

I also have this SAKAR olympus flash, it is 77D-0. IS this compatible
with some kind of adapter?

Thanks sooo much

Thanks folks for your great input. It sounds like more trouble than it is
worth so I will ebay those nice old lenses along with the camera soon.
But thanks also for the tip on the lens!!