How would you light this?

Old December 23rd 04, 11:09 PM
William Graham

"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
I had this idea of shooting the inside of one of my 'fridges (which
happens to be crammed with beer, wine and other lovely liquids) and
sending it off as a greeting.

My problem arose trying to get the lighting right.

Shooting with flash just doesn't work because of the white interior of the
'fridge - it gets blown out and even when compensating the results are
very stark.

I tried with ambient light (using the interior light) but it just wasn't
evenly distributed enough because the beer bottles obscure it.

One option would be to put my new SB-800 somewhere at the back of the
fridge and fire it off remotely, but I really don't fancy the idea of
putting a brand new piece of equipment into a cold, damp refridgerator!

Any other ideas?

Use a tripod, and take the picture with ambient light, preferable from the
windows in the room....Use a white reflector if you have to, but if the sun
isn't shining directly on the fridge, you shouldn't have a problem.....

Old December 23rd 04, 11:55 PM
Phil Stripling

McLeod writes:

Jeez, I'm trying to remember a day in the last 2 months that wasn't as
cold and damp as my refrigerator. (Central Ontario, Canada) Start

It's 63 here in the San Francisco Bay Area at a little before 4:00 pm, and
a bright sunny day. Again. Same tomorrow. :-

Drop by. Malmsey's on me.

Old December 24th 04, 12:37 AM
Bandicoot

"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
I had this idea of shooting the inside of one of my 'fridges (which
happens to be crammed with beer, wine and other lovely liquids) and
sending it off as a greeting.

My problem arose trying to get the lighting right.

Shooting with flash just doesn't work because of the white interior of the
'fridge - it gets blown out and even when compensating the results are
very stark.

I tried with ambient light (using the interior light) but it just wasn't
evenly distributed enough because the beer bottles obscure it.

One option would be to put my new SB-800 somewhere at the back of the
fridge and fire it off remotely, but I really don't fancy the idea of
putting a brand new piece of equipment into a cold, damp refridgerator!

Any other ideas?

Saw the top and bottom off the 'fridge, replace them with glass, and then
use big softboxes above and below to completely fill those glass areas.

Oh, you never said the 'fridge still had to work afterwards...

Peter

Old December 24th 04, 01:22 AM
Whatevah

Roxy Durban wrote:
I had this idea of shooting the inside of one of my 'fridges (which
happens to be crammed with beer, wine and other lovely liquids) and
sending it off as a greeting.

My problem arose trying to get the lighting right.

Shooting with flash just doesn't work because of the white interior of the
'fridge - it gets blown out and even when compensating the results are
very stark.

I tried with ambient light (using the interior light) but it just wasn't
evenly distributed enough because the beer bottles obscure it.

One option would be to put my new SB-800 somewhere at the back of the
fridge and fire it off remotely, but I really don't fancy the idea of
putting a brand new piece of equipment into a cold, damp refridgerator!

Any other ideas?

make a cheap softbox, or something that simulates the effect. Shine a
bright light through a diffuser (maybe a nice sized piece of clear vinyl
or something, or something like tracing paper). Or, use a big reflector
(get a white piece of cardboard -- white matte board works well) and
bounce a bright light off of that into the fridge.

The more light, the better. Since the light from the two methods above
will loose brightness because of the diffuser or from bouncing, they
need to be very bright, or you should use multiple lights. And, the
larger the light area is, the better, to avoid hotspots and shadows.

As a thought... depending on where in the fridge you want to frame the
shot, you might be able to bounce the light from you SB-800 off the
inside top of the fridge. That'll depend on the size of the fridge, of
course.

Good luck

--
Whatevah / Jerry Horn
Jerry {at} Whatevah.com (working address)
Old December 24th 04, 01:57 AM
Lisa Horton

Roxy Durban wrote:

I had this idea of shooting the inside of one of my 'fridges (which
happens to be crammed with beer, wine and other lovely liquids) and
sending it off as a greeting.

My problem arose trying to get the lighting right.

Shooting with flash just doesn't work because of the white interior of the
'fridge - it gets blown out and even when compensating the results are
very stark.

I tried with ambient light (using the interior light) but it just wasn't
evenly distributed enough because the beer bottles obscure it.

One option would be to put my new SB-800 somewhere at the back of the
fridge and fire it off remotely, but I really don't fancy the idea of
putting a brand new piece of equipment into a cold, damp refridgerator!

Any other ideas?

The light inside the refrigerator is replaceable, yes?

Lisa
Old December 24th 04, 02:12 AM
Bob Hickey

"Roxy Durban" wrote in message
news
I had this idea of shooting the inside of one of my 'fridges (which
happens to be crammed with beer, wine and other lovely liquids) and
sending it off as a greeting.

My problem arose trying to get the lighting right.

Shooting with flash just doesn't work because of the white interior of the
'fridge - it gets blown out and even when compensating the results are
very stark.

I tried with ambient light (using the interior light) but it just wasn't
evenly distributed enough because the beer bottles obscure it.

One option would be to put my new SB-800 somewhere at the back of the
fridge and fire it off remotely, but I really don't fancy the idea of
putting a brand new piece of equipment into a cold, damp refridgerator!

First measure the depth of the fridge; frame the shot in the
finder and set the f-stop that gives you the 4 ft. or whatever you need,
DOF. Prolly f/11 or there about, with a 50 mm lens. Tricky part: set the
lites so the inside of the fridge meters out at the f/11, everywhere. Prolly
take a while, but it must be even. Might have to be pretty far back to get
the same lite for 4 ft. Good luck. Bob Hickey

Camera Shake rda Digital Photography 29 October 10th 04 02:22 AM
Light struck colour paper? Ken Hart In The Darkroom 1 September 20th 04 11:06 PM
contact print exposure time John Bartley Large Format Photography Equipment 16 July 12th 04 10:47 PM
IR photo/videography - filter for light source? Long-ish... Don Bruder Other Photographic Equipment 4 June 29th 04 03:03 PM
IR photo/videography - filter for light source? Long-ish... Don Bruder General Photography Techniques 4 June 29th 04 03:03 PM