Olympus C-740 and Win98 version 1

Old June 29th 04, 03:50 AM
James M

Default Olympus C-740 and Win98 version 1

I'm want to buy the Olympus C-740, but I am first trying to figure out
if it is compatible with my version of Windows 98.

I have Windows 98 OEM version 4.10.1998 (file dates: 5/11/98). The
only thing I can find on Olympus' website is that Auto-connect USB
requires Win 98 rev 2 (I'm assuming they're referring to Windows 98
Second Edition, which I don't have). However, I'm not sure if "rev 2"
is an actual system requirement, or if "rev 2" is only needed if you
want Auto-connect (i.e., no need to even install drivers).

I saw a posting in this newgroups relating to the C-740 / Win98
compatibility, but that was in reference to a computer that was
upgraded from Win95 to Win98, which is not my situation.

I know, the obvious answer is for me to check with Olympus. It's
after-hours so I can't call them, but I sent them an e-mail (who knows
when that will be answered). I'm looking for a quick answer so I can
get this camera by mail by July 4th weekend. If anybody is able to
get this camera to work with Win98 first edition please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

James
Old June 29th 04, 04:18 AM
RSD99

posted:
"...
The
only thing I can find on Olympus' website is that Auto-connect USB
requires Win 98 rev 2 (I'm assuming they're referring to Windows 98
Second Edition, which I don't have).
...."

I can't speak directly to the issue(s) surrounding the Olympus hardware and software, but
I had an **identical** situation installing an Epson Perfection 4870 Scanner about a month
ago. Epson would commit only to Windows 98 SE in their data sheets.

The need is probably for Version 2.0 USB port(s), not for any other "magical" capabilities
in the Windows Operating System. Most manufacturers will parrot Micro$loth's party line
.... that they have **discontinued** "support" for Windows 98 First Edition.

There is an easy and painless fix for Windows 98 First Edition ... just install a third
party USB 2.0 adapter board in an empty PCI slot ("Adaptec USB 2.0 4 Port Adapter", in my
case), and go through the installation routine(s) in Windows. Cost is minimal ... I think
it was about $20 at Fry's.

NOW ... you have four functioning USB 2.0 ports ... and probably no problems with the
Olympus hardware and software.

PS - The 4870 has been working great with Windows 98 First Edition.

Old June 29th 04, 12:57 PM
Keith Nuttle

I got the C-740 for Christmas, and find it does a good job for what I
use it for. I like the zoom feature. However there is a lot of things
it can do and I am still learning.

To answer your question. I use a card reader for my camera. I got it at
one of the office supply stores for 0$. ( Price - rebates). It is the
USB 2.0 but is backward compatible with the older USB port that is
probably on your W-98 machine. I find it much easier to use than the
direct camera connection. No cord to the camera with the chance of
pulling the camera from the desk and it saves the camera's batteries for
taking pictures.

As for image manipulation software, I use Irfanview. About the only
thing it does not do better than the camedia software is the panorama
functions.

If you want to use the direct camera connection, the software disk that
comes with the C-740 contains the drivers for W-98.