For geezers only

Old December 26th 04, 10:07 PM
Phil Stripling

Default For geezers only

I was at a party Friday night, and there was a $10 limit on gifts for the
exchange, and I picked a present that turned out to be a December 1972
Playboy Magazine (6 stars inside the P -- you know what _that_
meant). After the ads for the AMC Javelin and Stereo Tape Club of America
were the ads for

Minolta SR-T 101 ("starts around $300 with 1.7 lens")

Konica Autoreflex T, A, and a couple of Cs ("the lens alone is worth the
price")

Argus/Cosina Super 8 Model 708 movie camera and Argus Dual Master
890Z projector (okay, not 35mm, but it's nostalgic)

Yashica TL Electro-X (I actually had one of those) ("Yashica Electronic
Cameras ... It's a whole new thing.")

Petri FT EE ("First, let's assume you're not an avid hobbiest, but you do
want to take good pictures.") List price $239 complete with f/1.8 lens and
case.

Rotomatic by Sawyer's 747AQZ ("If you ask for the finest slide projector in
the store, this is what you'll get.")

Wollensak Dolby Cassette (okay, not 35mm either, but when was the last time
you heard of the Wollensak?)

Bell & Howell Focus-Matic 672/XL Camera (a Super-8 movie camera with an
f/1.3 2.8-to-1 zoom lens)

The men's clothes in the ads are a riot. Plaids and patterns, flared and
cuffed -- Broomsticks, Sansabelt, Jantzen (Yes, menswear from Janzen),
Hagar, Dingo boots. Stereo systems with 8-track and cassette from Fisher,
Hitachi, Magnavox, BSR-McDonald, Craig. The Mist-Air Hot Comb from
Remington (with a photo of Edd Byrnes -- Kookie, Kookie, lend me your
comb), Viceroy, Silva Thins, Vantage.
Old December 26th 04, 11:07 PM
Joe Makowiec

On 26 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.equipment.35mm, Phil Stripling wrote:

exchange, and I picked a present that turned out to be a December
1972 Playboy Magazine (6 stars inside the P -- you know what _that_
meant).

Yup - which regional edition it was. From
http://www.playboy.com/worldofplaybo...ollecting.html

What are the stars on the cover of some issues?
Urban legend has it that the stars represent either the number of
times Hef had slept with the Playmate of the Month or his rating of
how good she was in bed. The actual explanation is less
titillating. Except for a six-month period in 1976, the stars
appeared on our covers from 1955 until 1979. The star system
changed over the years, but it ranged from zero to 12 at its peak.
The number of stars indicated the domestic or international
advertising region for that edition of the magazine. The regions
included a military edition, Canada, the United Kingdom, Chicago,
Los Angeles metro, New York metro, eastern United States,
southwestern United States, etc.

After the ads for the AMC Javelin and Stereo Tape Club of America
were the ads for

Minolta SR-T 101 ("starts around $300 with 1.7 lens")

Konica Autoreflex T, A, and a couple of Cs ("the lens alone is worth
the price")

Remember 'em well - that was about the time I was researching my first
camera, which turned out to be a Canon FTb (old). The SR-T 101 was a
great camera, though.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Old December 26th 04, 11:27 PM
columbotrek

Still have my Minolta SRT 101 which was my first SLR. Only I remember
that I paid around $275 and it had the 58mm f/1.4 lens on it plus the
Minolta "never ready" case. I delivered a lot of news papers to make
that much. I made about 1 dollar per customer per month if that gives
any idea how many papers.

Old December 27th 04, 12:16 AM
Al Denelsbeck

Phil Stripling wrote in
:

[...]

Mercy Rooney!?!? YOW!! Gosh, she was one of their all-time greats!
Someone found that for $10?!?

[Okay, I admit I looked that one up, and *still* don't know who it
was - can't say the same for Barbi Benton].

But I've done much the same thing with old National Geographics.
Reading the ADS, I mean [Filthy minds, all of you]. A few months back I
found an issue that was advertising a Polaroid camera model, extolling the
virtues of a focus-free lens, something like four exposure settings, and of
course, the instant gratification of seeing the image... in only a couple
of minutes or so. Nice bellows body so it folded as flat as "War and
Peace", you could take it anywhere. And I think the price was about $10 -
could've gotten one of them at your party! Film, should somebody somewhere
still have a pack, would likely run you a bit more...

The stereo ads were great, but NG was a bit thin on fashion, unless
you were talking Cadillacs. Lots of travel ideas, Cipangu was one of them I
think, and of course those wonderful devices so you could sit down and go
up stairs in your own home.

But my favorite was an article on the myriad uses of the wonderful
new "LASER". One photo showed this remarkable device doing a welding repair
on a damaged vacuum tube, right through the glass! Gotta love the cutting
edge of technology...

;-)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old December 27th 04, 12:16 AM
Al Denelsbeck

Phil Stripling wrote in
:

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old December 27th 04, 01:34 AM
William Graham

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, yeah.....But who was the centerfold?

Old December 27th 04, 12:00 PM
MarkČ

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
I was at a party Friday night, and there was a $10 limit on gifts for the
exchange, and I picked a present that turned out to be a December 1972
Playboy Magazine (6 stars inside the P -- you know what _that_
meant). After the ads for the AMC Javelin and Stereo Tape Club of

America
were the ads for

Yeah, yeah.....But who was the centerfold?

Ah...
Remember though... He said "For geezers only"...which most likely means he
no longer notices things like centerfolds.

Old December 27th 04, 03:48 PM
me

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
I was at a party Friday night, and there was a $10 limit on gifts for

the
exchange, and I picked a present that turned out to be a December 1972
Playboy Magazine (6 stars inside the P -- you know what _that_
meant). After the ads for the AMC Javelin and Stereo Tape Club of

America
were the ads for

Yeah, yeah.....But who was the centerfold?

Ah...
Remember though... He said "For geezers only"...which most likely means

he
no longer notices things like centerfolds.

Mark: Open mouth, insert foot.
;-)
me