Be careful about photographing your kids!

Old October 15th 03, 06:32 AM
William Graham

Default Be careful about photographing your kids!

"Jeremy" wrote in message
hlink.net...
There wouldn't be a NEED for kiddie porn laws if there weren't all those
perverts out there, taking photos and doing lots of other despicable acts
against children.

Taking photos.....Taking photos?......TAKING PHOTOS!!!

Old October 15th 03, 06:35 AM
William Graham

"J C" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:52:45 GMT, "Jeremy" Here's a statistics joke that

sums that up:

"You know how stupid the average guy is, right? Well half of them are
even dumber than that."

Good one, but it's half of the mean that are dumber.....Not necessarily half
of the average......

Old October 15th 03, 06:40 AM
William Graham

"There wouldn't be a NEED for homosexuality laws if there weren't all

those
perverts out there, taking photos and doing lots of other despicable

acts."

There wouldn't be a NEED for cameras if there weren't all those perverts out
there taking photos and doing lots of other despicable acts........

Old October 15th 03, 06:45 AM
William Graham

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
In the 50's and 60's, the hysteria was about communism. In the 70's, it
was Viet Nam. Back then, a few nude pictures of children wouldn't have
upset anyone, unless they were doing sexual things. Now, in the US, it
is illegal to even VIEW a picture of a nude person under 18, and fully
clothed ones under 18 in 'provocative' poses are similarly illegal.
Now, if we still haven't been able to legally define 'obscene', how in
hell are we to cope with 'provocative'?

So, I guess the baby books these days don't have spaces for pictures of
baby's first bath, and the bearskin rug thing is gone for good. Sigh.

Yeah....I never cared for the naked babies, but those bearskin rugs drove me
wild with desire.......

Old October 15th 03, 10:12 AM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

They assure reasonable privacy, at least.

But only spies, terrorists, pedophiles, and drug dealers need privacy,
right? What have you got to hide?

If I told you, then it wouldn't be private any more. Grin.

Old October 15th 03, 10:15 AM
Ron Hunter

Asbjørn Bjørnstad wrote:

"Jeremy" writes:

Despite our shortcomings, the United States wrote the book on how to be a
free society, and we are the model for many other cultures that are striving
to become more free. Part of being a "free society" is keeping our CHILDREN
FREE of being EXPLOITED.

I know I shouldn't, but I can't resist.
Too bad you didn't ratify the book (To be fair, it has been signed.):

From http://www.unicef.org/crc/faq.htm#009 :
# The Convention on the Rights of the Child is the most widely and
# rapidly ratified human rights treaty in history. Only two countries,
# Somalia and the United States, have not ratified this celebrated
# agreement. Somalia is currently unable to proceed to ratification as
# it has no recognized government.

And from http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-children-eng :

# The use of the death penalty for crimes committed by people younger
# than 18 is prohibited under international human rights law, yet some
# countries still execute child offenders.
[snip]
# Since 1994 Amnesty International has documented 20 executions of
# child offenders in five countries: the Democratic Republic of Congo,
# Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan and the USA. At least one of these
# countries, Pakistan, has since changed its laws to exclude the
# practice. [snip] Thirteen of the 20 executions were in the USA.

Nice company you've got...

Funny, I don't recall any state having executed anyone under 18. In
Texas, which accounts for more than half of the executions in the US, no
one under 17 is even elegible for the death penalty, and it takes YEARS
for the trials, and retrials, and more years before execution.
So, how about a few examples of those executions....

Old October 15th 03, 10:18 AM
Ron Hunter

William Graham wrote:

"gr" wrote in message

"Jeremy" wrote

The security of children has more importance than your supposed

"freedom"

take photos of someone else's naked kids.

Again... how is the "security" of a child affected by whether someone

takes

a picture of them? Does it only apply to photographs? What about drawings,
or written stories, or even thoughts?

The kiddie-porn thing basically boils down to thought-police. It's an

issue

of a majority of people outlawing something that offends their moral
standards. Even some parts of the U.S. still have laws outlawing
homosexuality.

"Freedom" should not apply only to the majority. The true test of freedom

is

how free are the minorities.

That's right....That's what the constitution really is there for....To
protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority....To return to the
above discussion, how do you guys feel about child pornagraphy where there
are no victoms....No children being photographed....All the images are
constructed digitally....Should it be illegal to manufacture it, posses it,
or both?

Neither. That is certainly an example of thought control.

Old October 15th 03, 11:43 AM
otzi

What a long and interesting thread. Covered every thing just-a-bout, from
sunrise to sunrise. But as so often happens good folk view the world from
their own perspective, not so much from ignorance or stupidity but more from
a narrow view shaped from limited life's experiences and an introspective
society. (read frightened.) I am generalising here.

If folk were not to judge all things from their own miniscule life's
experience but view from rather a broader perspective a more balanced
outlook would evolve. Man has been kicking dust for thousands of years,
bright men/women have been recorded for hundreds, yet so many folk view the
past few years as being all definitive.

The subject of this post, photographing kids is relevant but any resolving
answer is bound to be thwarted by the writers own perspective. Not so long
ago nudity was normal. Its only been the last 100 years or so that
conservatism is oh! so fashionable. Today folks have never had it so good
yet their insecurities abound. As for big brother there is even a TV spot
satirising the Orwellian experience. To me it's quite frightening the way
some (so confident) mortals see the need to suppress their fellow man while
believing themselves to be right.

Otzi

Old October 15th 03, 11:53 AM
Mxsmanic

William Graham writes:

... how do you guys feel about child pornagraphy where there
are no victoms....No children being photographed....All the images are
constructed digitally....Should it be illegal to manufacture it, posses it,
or both?

No. If no children have been harmed, there is no reason to restrict it,
and the First Amendment (in the United States) protects it with freedom
of speech. The fact that some people might not care for that type of
speech is irrelevant.

There has been some progress in this direction with decisions regarding
"virtual porn," but there is still much room for improvement.

Old October 15th 03, 11:54 AM
Mxsmanic

William Graham writes:

Or people who "protest too much"...

It depends on what they are protesting, and the magnitude of whatever it
is that they target with their protests.