Looking for an EOS lens recommendation for panoramas

Old September 19th 05, 12:32 PM
BC

Convenient, perhaps, but certainly not the ultimate in terms of image
quality.

Brian.

Old September 19th 05, 01:07 PM
Skip M

"Eugene" wrote in message
That's cool. I had heard that there were red gums in California. I
didn't realise they were common though.

There are over 100 species of Eucalyptus in California, they've become
nativized and pose a threat to some native species of trees and shrubs.
What Frank said about the reasons they got here is true, and then somebody
decided to enlarge the groves to provide oil for soap, another industry that
died quickly. San Diego has some huge stands of Eucs, the oily wood fueled
the disastrous fires of a couple of years ago. I had a Horticulture
instructor many years ago who said the only good use for Eucalyptus was fire
wood, the wood splits too easily for construction (including railroad ties)
and limbs split off to easily for effective and safe use as windbreaks and
as ornamentals.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 21st 05, 02:49 AM
RSD99

"Skip M" wrote in message
"Eugene" wrote in message
[...]

In your list of the Eucalyptus tree's faults and benefits, you forgot a
couple of things:

Faults:
Almost every sub-species is a totally automated mess-generator, and in
places such as Golf Courses, requires *continual* (as in daily) cleanup of
fallen leaves, seeds and branches.

Advantages:
Monarch Butterflies.
The Monarch Butterfly *requires* the Eucalyptus tree as apart of their life
cycle. Check out the Eucalyptus groves in Elwood Beach or Pismo Beach (both
in Central California) during the period from roughly November through
February for some potentially stunning butterfly images.

Old September 21st 05, 10:46 PM
Skip M

"RSD99" wrote in message
"Skip M" wrote in message

[...]

I'll agree with the first assessment, but the second? Monarch butterflies
were around long before Eucs were...

Old September 21st 05, 11:45 PM
Frank ess

"Skip M" wrote in message

[...]

WRT the "mess-generator", no doubt about it. Many of the neighbors
have opted to get a license from the City (who own it) and have their
parkway euks removed. Once a year I send a reminder letter to the
City, suggesting they may want to give it a preemptive trim so it
won't drop a branch and kill someone, as happened at the Zoo, to a
two-year-old, a while back. In due time I get a letter back, reminding
_me_ the licenses are free.

I always say, "It's a very nice tree, for the three or four days a
year it isn't dropping something". It has also put an end to a
life-long barefoot-in-the-yard habit.

--
Frank ess

Old September 22nd 05, 05:13 AM
Skip M

"Frank ess" wrote in message
"Skip M" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, those seed pods are nasty, aren't they?
My next door neighbor settled out of court with our homeowners assn. when a
branch fell off of a Eucalyptus citriadora (Lemon Scented Gum) and crushed
his Toyota pickup. Got a new Tundra in the deal (his wife's uncle runs the
Toyota dealership in Temecula.) That crisis doesn't hold a candle to losing
one's life, but does demonstrate it's not an isolated incident.