Nikon D200 review on CreativePro

Old April 3rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikon D200 review on CreativePro

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily
Old April 3rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:36:52 -0700, "Frank ess"
wrote:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

"Full disclosu I am a confessed Canon shooter. As such, I find the
Nikon interface annoying."

From the review, it seems you get higher ISO noise than one of the 8
meg DSLRs like the Canon 30D, and entry-level Nikon D50 but you get
the extra resolution of the 10 megapixels and a host of more advanced
features (he called them "pro" but I had some of them on my prosumer)
than either of the other two cameras.
-Rich

Old April 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rich wrote:
"Full disclosu I am a confessed Canon shooter. As such, I find the
Nikon interface annoying."

From the review, it seems you get higher ISO noise than one of the 8
meg DSLRs like the Canon 30D, and entry-level Nikon D50 but you get
the extra resolution of the 10 megapixels and a host of more advanced
features (he called them "pro" but I had some of them on my prosumer)
than either of the other two cameras.
-Rich

Unless we know the exact shooting conditions for each shot (i.e. exposure for
each shot as well as an assumption that the lighting did not change), we can
not draw a conclusion about the noise based on these images. If the
"confessed Canon shooter" didn't pay attention to details of exposure (and
keep in mind "actual" iso ratings will likely differ between models), then
there is bound to be more noise in one of those photos when trying to match
exposure in post processing. Also, doesn't Digic II automatically apply noise
reduction algorithms?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old April 4th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Frank ess wrote:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Seems like a nice review. Too bad he did not like the button layout,
but that, as he says several times, is extremely subjective and largely
a matter of what you are used to.

What a shock: the Nikon is noisier than the Canon at ISO 1600. Oddly,
although I use Nikons and I shoot a lot of night pictures, I have never
really found that this bothers me a lot. Possibly it is because even my
night pictures are usually no more than ISO 400. It is a habit that I
developed from the old film days, so maybe I just adjusted more easily
to Nikon.

Old April 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Unless we know the exact shooting conditions for each shot (i.e. exposure for
each shot as well as an assumption that the lighting did not change), we can
not draw a conclusion about the noise based on these images. If the
"confessed Canon shooter" didn't pay attention to details of exposure (and
keep in mind "actual" iso ratings will likely differ between models), then
there is bound to be more noise in one of those photos when trying to match
exposure in post processing. Also, doesn't Digic II automatically apply noise
reduction algorithms?

The noise comparison shown looks awful. I hope there was some error in
the testing, that doesn't seem right.
http://www.creativepro.com/img/story/20060403_fg3.jpg
Old April 4th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Paul Furman wrote:
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Unless we know the exact shooting conditions for each shot (i.e. exposure for
each shot as well as an assumption that the lighting did not change), we can
not draw a conclusion about the noise based on these images. If the
"confessed Canon shooter" didn't pay attention to details of exposure (and
keep in mind "actual" iso ratings will likely differ between models), then
there is bound to be more noise in one of those photos when trying to match
exposure in post processing. Also, doesn't Digic II automatically apply noise
reduction algorithms?

The noise comparison shown looks awful. I hope there was some error in
the testing, that doesn't seem right.
http://www.creativepro.com/img/story/20060403_fg3.jpg

The D200 noise does look like it is worse than usual. Noise comparison
with Canon on other sites does not look nearly as bad. Most Nikon users
would agree that Nikons are noisier than Canons, but not that much
worse.

Old April 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Bill writes:

cjcampbell wrote:

Frank ess wrote:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Seems like a nice review. Too bad he did not like the button layout,
but that, as he says several times, is extremely subjective and largely
a matter of what you are used to.

What a shock: the Nikon is noisier than the Canon at ISO 1600. Oddly,
although I use Nikons and I shoot a lot of night pictures, I have never
really found that this bothers me a lot. Possibly it is because even my
night pictures are usually no more than ISO 400. It is a habit that I
developed from the old film days, so maybe I just adjusted more easily
to Nikon.

To be honest, I've never cared much about noise levels for myself. I
usually shoot at or below 400 as well simply because it gets the best
results regardless of camera model. If you can't get a good shot at
100-400, then your technique is lacking.

:-)

Yeah, well, my technique is lacking. I can't reliably enough time the
shot to get the musicians with their heads sharp if I'm shooting at
1/4 second. So I end up shooting at high ISO a lot.

I know, I know...there are times where high ISO values are needed. But
if you came prepared, you don't need anything beyond the default setting
of 100 or 200.

I've *got* a flash, but it won't look right and it will annoy the
subjects (at 3am at an informal musician's jam session).
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old April 5th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bill writes:

Yeah, well, my technique is lacking. I can't reliably enough time the
shot to get the musicians with their heads sharp if I'm shooting at
1/4 second. So I end up shooting at high ISO a lot.

1/4 second? Yeah, it does sound like your technique is lacking.

Old April 5th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"cjcampbell" writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bill writes:

Yeah, well, my technique is lacking. I can't reliably enough time the
shot to get the musicians with their heads sharp if I'm shooting at
1/4 second. So I end up shooting at high ISO a lot.

1/4 second? Yeah, it does sound like your technique is lacking.

Yep, any decent photographer *ought* to be able to time his shot to
hit that 1/4 second when the performer isn't moving his head enough to
blur it. I'm just a wuss, is all.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old April 5th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

cjcampbell wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bill writes:

Yeah, well, my technique is lacking. I can't reliably enough time the
shot to get the musicians with their heads sharp if I'm shooting at
1/4 second. So I end up shooting at high ISO a lot.

1/4 second? Yeah, it does sound like your technique is lacking.

While his technique *may* be lacking, I fail to understand what you are
alluding too here. If he has a slow lens and dim light, then he may indeed
have to increase the ISO or use a slower shutter speed (obviously the latter
requires a static subject for a sharp image). So, how is his technique
lacking if he shoots at a higher ISO?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse