"The exposures are at 1/100,000,000ths of a second"

Old February 15th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default "The exposures are at 1/100,000,000ths of a second"

I'm back, did you miss me?

What would you shoot at such 1/100,000,000 shutter speed?

But of course, perhaps the most spectacular thing possible, an atomic
blast! The "first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation".

Enjoy

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

Old February 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Mike Henley" writes:

I'm back, did you miss me?

What would you shoot at such 1/100,000,000 shutter speed?

But of course, perhaps the most spectacular thing possible, an atomic
blast! The "first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation".

For one thing, you need something quite brightly illuminated at that
shutter speed -- especially if the T-number of the lens/shutter system
used is anywhere near where I think it would be.

Enjoy

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

Those pictures (I've got at least the first two in one of Edgerton's
books, too) are among the scariest things I've seen in my life.
There's something about the clean simple form of the fireball at the
various early sizes.
Old February 15th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 14 Feb 2006 18:28:12 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet
wrote:

"Mike Henley" writes:

I'm back, did you miss me?

What would you shoot at such 1/100,000,000 shutter speed?

But of course, perhaps the most spectacular thing possible, an atomic
blast! The "first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation".

For one thing, you need something quite brightly illuminated at that
shutter speed -- especially if the T-number of the lens/shutter system
used is anywhere near where I think it would be.

Enjoy

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

Those pictures (I've got at least the first two in one of Edgerton's
books, too) are among the scariest things I've seen in my life.
There's something about the clean simple form of the fireball at the
various early sizes.

Google Images has a bunch
Old February 15th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Mike Henley" writes:

I'm back, did you miss me?

What would you shoot at such 1/100,000,000 shutter speed?

But of course, perhaps the most spectacular thing possible, an
atomic
blast! The "first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation".

For one thing, you need something quite brightly illuminated at that
shutter speed -- especially if the T-number of the lens/shutter
system
used is anywhere near where I think it would be.

Enjoy

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

Those pictures (I've got at least the first two in one of Edgerton's
books, too) are among the scariest things I've seen in my life.
There's something about the clean simple form of the fireball at the
various early sizes.

"guide wires"?

"Joshua tree's"? What?

I don't want to look at "About Us". They might have the same college
degree I have...

Edgerton certainly taught us a great deal about what really happens.
Thank you, Doc.

--
Frank ess

Old February 15th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

What I'm really impressed with is that you were able to zoom back that
quick!! :-)

Old February 15th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Pat wrote:
What I'm really impressed with is that you were able to zoom back that
quick!! :-)

But of course, it's a "10 foot lens"!

Old February 15th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 14 Feb 2006 15:09:03 -0800, "Mike Henley"
wrote:

I'm back, did you miss me?

What would you shoot at such 1/100,000,000 shutter speed?

But of course, perhaps the most spectacular thing possible, an atomic
blast! The "first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation".

Enjoy

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

I'm not sure how they did those shots, but there have been
cameras that have used things like spinning octagonal or
multi-sided mirrors that could "flash" exposures across several
feet of filmstock in a fraction of a second. For slower (but still
fast) shooting, cameras have been equipped with high speed
motor winders that took movie film at a high rate of speed,
thousands of frames per second.
CCDs/CMOS are a problem when it comes to rapid firing as
they are limited to their read-out speeds. In order to take
images at really high speeds, you need some kind of
shutter mechanism. A spinning disk with a hole in it
and some kind of synch mechanism.
-Rich
Old February 15th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rich wrote:

I'm not sure how they did those shots, but there have been
cameras that have used things like spinning octagonal or
multi-sided mirrors that could "flash" exposures across several
feet of filmstock in a fraction of a second. For slower (but still
fast) shooting, cameras have been equipped with high speed
motor winders that took movie film at a high rate of speed,
thousands of frames per second.

Mechanical devices are orders of magnitude too slow to achieve these
results. Repeat of a post to r.p.e.35mm:

Alan Browne wrote:

Probably a high speed cine camera, eg, 1000's of frames per second with
exposure times on the order of 1/4000 to 1/10,000

Exposure time was much less, on the order of ten nanoseconds. Google
rapatronic. Each camera took one frame. A starting point:

http://simplethinking.com/home/rapat...hotographs.htm
--
Andy Williams
Old February 15th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Interesting--I posted a link to these two days ago.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com
oups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:

[...]

For discussion on the type of shutter used in taking these images refer
to the thread "Was this taken with a Leica?" from two days back.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com