I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 27th 18, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

On 2018-03-27 05:59:11 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android

On 2018-03-27 04:53:39 +0000, nospam said:

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

You're in the crowd that want to have certifications for OSes and other
soft that hits the internet, right?

there should be. there are way too many insecure unpatched systems
which are easily pwned. security is unfortunately, an afterthought.

also, require certification of *users* to access the net and deny
access to spammers. murdering spammers in as painful of a way as
possible for all of the crap they've caused would be a much better
solution, but blocking access will suffice. for now.

and now we know...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 27th 18, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

wrote

| I just opened PSP 5.
| It says:
|
| Paint Shop Pro Version 5.01 Evaluation (JASC)
|
| Build Information:
| Build Date Jun 11 1998 @ 09:07:49
| Build Mode Release (5000102)
|
| Maybe that's not "Shareware" but it was free, as an evaluation.
| 20 years later, it still works, and I have never seen any limitations. I
| just see a nag screen when it loads telling me to register it.

I don't remember ever seeing that. When I bought
5 it came on a CD, in a box, from a store. But I think
that timeframe was when a lot of things were changing.
I have a brother who got Photoshop 4 with a scanner.
I got PSP4 with various hardware. It was a time of
transition to more professional usage of graphics
programs

It's likely all of your software would run on Win7 and
Win10. I haven't used Win10, but haven't yet found
anything that won't run on Win7. Microsoft never really
break backward compatibility, in general.

Old March 27th 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I have a brother who got Photoshop 4 with a scanner.

no you definitely do not.

what you have is a brother who got photoshop *elements* with a scanner.

what you also have is your own failure to understand the difference,
despite it having been explained to you on numerous occasions.

I got PSP4 with various hardware. It was a time of
transition to more professional usage of graphics
programs

no.

It's likely all of your software would run on Win7 and
Win10. I haven't used Win10, but haven't yet found
anything that won't run on Win7.

that doesn't mean they don't exist.

they do and they're going to become more common going forward.

Microsoft never really
break backward compatibility, in general.

that used to be true.

microsoft no longer has an illegal monopoly (and is actually becoming a
minority player), so now they have to actually compete on a level
playing field with other companies.

that means breaking with the past to be able to advance the platform
rather than shipping the same old crap designed to lock people in.
Old March 27th 18, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

And then I also have Photoshop 5.0. (registered)

That also works on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.

except that those are full of security holes and will never be patched.

worse, modern software can't run on any of them.

Thats all I really use (or need). I tried Gimp, and removed it.

at least you did something right.

Uhhh,,, so you're one of those kind.... The ones who believe all that
security ****, most which is based on blatant lies promoted by Symantec
and other companies that make up lies about viruses and malware so they
can make a fortune on selling their softeware which is supposed to
eliminate all the evils they create.

complete nonsense.

And yea, I am sure they do create
some viruses too in order to sell more of their crap.

at least one did, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Not only that, but all this secirity crap is ruining the internet. Many
of the httpS sites will no longer load,

only because you're using outdated browsers running on outdated
operating systems.

it's slowed down the whole
internet,

no it isn't. the internet is much faster than it's ever been.

and I get so goddamn tired of alerts and warnings telling me
that my system is not secure and needs to be updated, that I could puke.

then fix your system and you won't be warned anymore. your choice.

No, I'm not a troll (but it sounds like you might be one). I cna only
use what I can afford.

computers that can run win7-10 can be had for little to nothing at
garage sales and flea markets because nobody wants them.

Maybe when you retire and have to live on social
security, you wont be able to afford new computers and pay MS for their
overpriced OSs either. However, if you want to pay for a new computer
for me, I will gladly accept it.

in other words, you failed to plan for your retirement and are mooching
off others.

rest of your crap snipped.
Old March 27th 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

wrote

| He's in the crowd that has ruined the internet by controlling it to the
| point whgere it's no longer fun or useful.

I don't think it's as nasty as that. He's simply a wiseacre
who has to have an opinion and bicker about *everything*.
Unfortunately, many people are fooled by his talent for
sounding coherent, which causes a lot of confusion because
he rarely says anything acurate and couldn't care less about
actually understanding things. But it can't be helped.

Someone proposed recently that nospam is actually a bot.
It's an intriguing idea. His responses are nearly always
oblique, related only superficially, and contain no actual
information:

A: The sky is blue.
N: Obviously.
A: I like to eat oatmeal bread.
N: Pumpernickel is better.
A: Acme Chair sells 4 styles of chaise lounge.
N: Wrong.

A computer could come up with that kind of thing.
Nospam could very well be an experiemnt run
by the kids at Stanford to research how people
rspond to arguing.

| The early internet was a place to explore and it seemed limitless.
| Everyone had their own websites and some were creative, while others
| were just very basic

Amazing how much things have changed, isn't it?
I set up my first site on my free Mindspring (ISP)
web space. It took a few days to learn enough HTML
to get going. My sense was that everyone would just
chip in whatever they had that might be useful to
others.

Much of that is still there, but the ad-supported
business model hides it. Google gives points for
incoming links and frequent updates. And they make
the most money from sites with Google/Doubleclick
ads. So they just don't even list a lot of pages
anymore. The top ones are almost always commercial.

And many people are just eating pre-digested
Facebook or Twitter gruel. The same people who pay
to have their drinking water put into a plastic bottle,
pay to do yoga, pay to walk, and record it all on
their Fitbit so their life can be official. And the
same people who look for "cutting edge" thinking in
TED talks. "Consumers". They've been persuaded that
the Internet is not a town square but a shopping
mall. On the other hand, it's only their own laziness
that's allowed it to happen.

But there are still plenty of interesting things out
there. They sometimes require more work to find, but
I regularly get good information about all sorts of things.
(This morning I was researching pre-made shower slope
products to go under shower bed mud.)

Old March 27th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:53:39 -0400, nospam

I actually run it in Windows 98. I use Win98 for almost all my graphic
editing, simply because it works and is easy to use.

troll alert.

I also have
PSP 3.12 (32bit)
PSP 4.14
PSP 5.01
PSP 7.0

Installed on the same computer.

I like the screen capture in 3.12 better than in other versions.

I use 4.14 most of the time, for just basic editing. It's simple, and I
like that.

5.01 has features I like and use, but 4.14 is easier to use.

Version 7.0 was commercial, but I found it online for free, so I have
it, but rarely use it.

[...]

eliminate all the evils they create. And yea, I am sure they do create
some viruses too in order to sell more of their crap.

Not only that, but all this secirity crap is ruining the internet. Many
of the httpS sites will no longer load, it's slowed down the whole
internet, and I get so goddamn tired of alerts and warnings telling me
that my system is not secure and needs to be updated, that I could puke.

No, I'm not a troll (but it sounds like you might be one). I cna only
use what I can afford. Maybe when you retire and have to live on social
security, you wont be able to afford new computers and pay MS for their
overpriced OSs either. However, if you want to pay for a new computer
for me, I will gladly accept it.

One other thing to note, is that Win98 is about as safe as anyone can
get as far as "security". No one bothers to create malware for W98
anymore....

Then too, you could NOT give me Windows 10, or even 8, for that matter.
Having MS spy on me and track everything I do, is not going to happen.
The same reason I refuse to use Facebook. On top of that, I hate
bloatware and Windows 8 and 10 are nothing but bloatware. I would
consider trying Win7 though, if I had the hardware to run it.

Anyhow, I did not join this topic to talk about security and YOUR
desirte to own the latest bloatware. I joined in, to talk about
photoshop and similar photo editing software. I use what works for me,
and what I can afford. If you dont like what I use, **** YOU! Tossing
nospam into my killfile takes about 3 seconds.

END OF SECURITY TOPIC!

Old March 27th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| He's in the crowd that has ruined the internet by controlling it to the
| point whgere it's no longer fun or useful.

I don't think it's as nasty as that. He's simply a wiseacre
who has to have an opinion and bicker about *everything*.
Unfortunately, many people are fooled by his talent for
sounding coherent, which causes a lot of confusion because
he rarely says anything acurate and couldn't care less about
actually understanding things. But it can't be helped.

ad hominem attack noted, and amusingly enough, that actually describes
you perfectly.

all you do is repeat the usual anti-apple, anti-google, anti-technology
matra, despite facts showing you to be completely wrong, along with you
not understanding what the various companies you rant about are
actually doing, which is almost always *not* what you claim it to be.
Old March 27th 18, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 27, 2018, wrote
(in ):

On 2018-03-27 04:53:39 +0000, nospam said:

All of these run fine on Windows 98, Win2000, and WinXP.
(Beyond that, I dont know. I have never used any MS OS beyond XP)

assuming that's actually true, why the hell not?

for that to be true, you'd need to still be using obsolete hardware to
run obsolete unsupported operating systems that are full of security
exploits.

worse, you're connecting the computer to the internet, putting yourself
at risk as well as others.

You're in the crowd that want to have certifications for OSes and other
soft that hits the internet, right?

He's in the crowd that has ruined the internet by controlling it to the
point whgere it's no longer fun or useful. Back in the 90s, it was a lot
of fun, and one could be creative online, without having to kiss ass to
companies such as google and microsoft, and allowing them to exploit
users, and steal their identity so their huge companies can get wealthy.

When the internet first started, it was intended to be free (except for
paying an ISP for service). Yea, there was spam, and trolls, and idiots,
and there was a lot of pirated software going around, which was actually
a lot of fun trying to obtain it. I guess that made all of us early
users of the internet into criminals, for using a little pirated
software, but far less criminal than those today who load automatic
weapons and murder school children.

The early internet was a place to explore and it seemed limitless.
Everyone had their own websites and some were creative, while others
were just very basic, but everyone online had their own adventure to
share. Now everyone is shoved inot the same dreaded monotonous box on a
facebook page, while facebook has become the worlds most wealthy company
in the world, by exploiting people and stealing their identity.

Usenet is nearly dead, but it's the last of the original internet and
the only last place online that is still relatively safe from identity
theft, unless you are stupid enough to reveal your personal info.

In another year or two, the internet will be such a sterile place that
no one will be able to use it, unless they use specific software, and
have a fat wallet to pay for it. Ther entire internet will be controlled
by a handful of companies such as google and facebook, who will solely
use it for their own profit, and they will laugh all the way to the
bank.

I'll take the OLD internet anyday, even with its spam, malware and
heaven forbid warez.

....but first you should set the clock on your computer.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Old March 27th 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-27 04:53:39 +0000, nospam said:

[...]

I want DataVision back. It showed promise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfUVe223Kzg
--
teleportation kills