I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 22nd 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

On 2018-03-22 20:00:50 +0000, nospam said:

no.

Wait until you're asked!
--
teleportation kills

Old March 22nd 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Wait until you're asked!

no.
Old March 22nd 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-22 20:38:52 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

Wait until you're asked!

no.

For the rest of the class: This is what happens when you pĺ people per
line and not per word! :-ppppp
--
teleportation kills

Old March 22nd 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-22 20:38:52 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

Wait until you're asked!

no.

For the rest of the class: This is what happens when you pay people per
line and not per word! :-ppppp
--
teleportation kills

Old March 23rd 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:38:47 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm looking for a book about the workings of Photoshop CC. I don't
know what it is called, in fact I don't even know if it exists, but if
it does exist it might be called something like 'Inside Photoshop'.

I'm not interested in learning how edit photographs (for beginners),
I'm not interested in learning how use the various tools nor am I
interested in learning how to push their various buttons. What I would
like to know is what goes in inside Photoshop when I (for example)
create a clipping mask. This doesn't mean that I want to know the
actual code but I would like to know what the code is doing.

you want a book on image processing, although it's rather obvious how
it works.

Rather obvious?

in general yes, although the exact algorithms aren't.

OK then, you tell me what goes on when PS creates a clipping mask. I
don't need to know what it does (I already know that), I don't want to
know how to create a clipping mask (I already know), I don't want to
be told about the indented layer names, down arrow and layer name
underlining. What I want to know is when I create a clipping what is
it that goes on in PS with the basic entities that PS uses to
manipulate images.

I bet you can't.

you'd be wrong.

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

many of them.

How about a few names.

start he

Apat from the fact that neither of the following are books and
Wikipedia doesn't seem to know anything about either of them they are
algorithms for implimenting a particular schema for one particular
clipping implimentation. Even if they existed they would not be what I
was looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SutherlandÂ*Hodgman_algorithm

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please
search for SutherlandHodgman algorithm in Wikipedia to check for
alternative titles or spellings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreinerÂ*Hormann_clipping_algorithm

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please
search for GreinerHormann clipping algorithm in Wikipedia to check

Old March 23rd 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:42:11 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Well - yes. But I know that already.

OK. So if you know how to use a clipping
mask, and you understand how the actual
graphic operations work behind the scenes,

No I don't. That's what I asked for, but not a bit by bit description
of how a pixel gets moved.

then what is it that you think you don't know?
I don't understand.

You said you want to know what the code
is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
into the actual code.

And the code is doing all this for what (slightly) higher level
purpose?

And I'm not just after clipping masks. I only used that as an example.

Eric Stevens
Old March 23rd 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Is there such a book? Does anyone know?

many of them.

How about a few names.

start he

Apat from the fact that neither of the following are books and
Wikipedia doesn't seem to know anything about either of them

yes wikipedia most certainly does know, and not just the two i listed,
but many others.

there are also books covering the various algorithms, but it's much
easier to read various web sites, which doesn't need to be wikipedia,
given that you seem to be having difficulty connecting to it.

they are
algorithms for implimenting a particular schema for one particular
clipping implimentation.

yep. that's what they are. there are more than just those two.

Even if they existed they would not be what I
was looking for.

they do exist and it's exactly what you claim to be looking for,
however, you will have to learn how to follow a link first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland-Hodgman_algorithm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greiner-Hormann_clipping_algorithm

"Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please
search for GreinerHormann clipping algorithm in Wikipedia to check
for alternative titles or spellings."

not only does wikipedia have articles for both of the above, but both
links go directly to the respective pages.

you did something wrong or your ****ty newsreader is once again not
handling links correctly.

in other words, user error.

in addition to descriptions, wikipedia also lists several additional
algorithms and other references:

Sutherland*Hodgman algorithm
See also[edit]
€ Weiler*Atherton clipping algorithm
€ Vatti clipping algorithm
€ Clipping (in rasterisation)
External links[edit]
https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~david/Cla...-05_Polygons.6.
pdf
€ Polygon clipping and filling Describes the algorithm using images
that are easy to understand.

Greiner*Hormann clipping algorithm
See also[edit]
€ Vatti clipping algorithm
€ Sutherland*Hodgman clipping algorithm
€ Weiler*Atherton clipping algorithm
€ Boolean operations on polygons
References[edit]
1 Greiner, Günther; Kai Hormann (1998). "Efficient clipping of
arbitrary polygons". ACM Transactions on Graphics. 17 (2): 71*83.
Retrieved 2014-05-17.
2 Ionel Daniel Stroe. "Efficient Clipping of Arbitrary Polygons".
Retrieved 2014-05-17.

as i said, it's a start, and now you know what to look for when
searching for books or other materials.
Old March 23rd 18, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| You said you want to know what the code
| is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
| code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
| into the actual code.
|
| And the code is doing all this for what (slightly) higher level
| purpose?

Maybe it's me, but I just don't get what level
you want to investigate. And there are numerous
levels of abstraction between the CPU and what
you see in Photoshop. There's code. The code
deals with bytes that represent pixels. (Did you
see the extensive description from earlier today?)

That's pretty much it, in terms of going up from
code level. The next level up from bytes is basically
the GUI, which allows you to process those groups
of bytes with the mouse.

If you do something like decide to lighten an
image -- or just about any other operation -- it's
all math. The byte values are raised to make for
lighter pixel colors. There isn't any other step in
between, except for the conveniences that allow
us to just move the mouse and click buttons to
do the job. So you perhaps drag a control to make
the image lighter, the editor calculates how to increase
the byte values to get the pixel colors that action
specifies, then the editor paints the new image
(A DIB, or stream of bytes representing the image)
onto the screen.

If you've enabled "auto proof" then it's painting
new DIBs at a very fast rate, and probably storing
one each time you release the mouse from the slide
control.

And perhaps most importantly, it stores the data
from those steps in order to "remember" and offer
multiple undo options. Each time you change the
lightness, the editor will store a DIB that it can
back up to if necessary.

I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for. I
just don't know what else you can find out. That's
how it works, soup to nuts.

Old March 23rd 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| You said you want to know what the code
| is doing. I gave you a brief outline of what the
| code is doing. For any more you'd be getting
| into the actual code.
|
| And the code is doing all this for what (slightly) higher level
| purpose?

Maybe it's me,

it is

but I just don't get what level
you want to investigate.

yep.
Old March 23rd 18, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:37:56 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

They do now for me, but they didn't several hours ago.

you did something wrong or your ****ty newsreader is once again not
handling links correctly.

in other words, user error.

You ar very good at jumping to conclusions.

in addition to descriptions, wikipedia also lists several additional
algorithms and other references:

SutherlandÂ*Hodgman algorithm
See also[edit]
€ WeilerÂ*Atherton clipping algorithm
€ Vatti clipping algorithm
€ Clipping (in rasterisation)
External links[edit]
https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~david/Cla...-05_Polygons.6.
pdf
€ Polygon clipping and filling Describes the algorithm using images
that are easy to understand.

GreinerÂ*Hormann clipping algorithm
See also[edit]
€ Vatti clipping algorithm
€ SutherlandÂ*Hodgman clipping algorithm
€ WeilerÂ*Atherton clipping algorithm
€ Boolean operations on polygons
References[edit]
1 Greiner, GĂĽnther; Kai Hormann (1998). "Efficient clipping of
arbitrary polygons". ACM Transactions on Graphics. 17 (2): 71Â*83.
Retrieved 2014-05-17.
2 Ionel Daniel Stroe. "Efficient Clipping of Arbitrary Polygons".
Retrieved 2014-05-17.

If you had read my original post you would know that I do not want
algorithms.
I want a description of the model which the various algorithms will be
processing.

as i said, it's a start, and now you know what to look for when
searching for books or other materials.

I neither need nor want to dig into the details of the algorithms.

Eric Stevens