Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

Old January 17th 18, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

"Susan Bugher" wrote

| No need. PDF XChange Viewer has that option.
|
| Your version may but mine does not. I'm running v 2.5 (documentation says
| "Currently the new PDF-XChange PRO Viewer offers these additional
| Features: ...
| Extract PDF Image content to Raster format")

v. 2.5 build 214.2
File menu or context menu - Export - Export
to Image I also find that it exports text with no
problem, though the formatting is never perfect.

But now that you mention it, I see that it's
exporting whole pages. So I thought I'd take a
look at the program you linked. PDF Image
Extraction Wizard. Turns out it's not free. Turns
out that it doesn't say that anywhere on the
webpage. I started the program and it wanted
to call home to have me "register". But they
don't mean register. They mean buy it, for $15
or $25. The free version will only extract 3 images.
But actually it won't even do that. It won't run
at all except to send me to buy it.
It turns out that the program is actually just
a wrapper for several open source programs. It's
using xpdf for the extraction!

They're free to charge money for other peoples'
software. It's legal to make a wrapper for XPDF.
But they shouldn't be trying to trick people by
pretending it's free until you try to run it.

When I use XPDF to extract the images
from the PosteRazor PDF it extracts only 6 copies
of the original. Yet the PDF XChange Viewer manual
images all came out.

Old January 17th 18, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Mayayana wrote:

No need. PDF XChange Viewer has that option.

PDF-Xchange Viewer Current version: 2.5.322.7
[https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...change-viewer]

Is this the PDF Extraction Wizard official site?
[http://www.rlvision.com/pdfwiz/]

"Images are ripped straight from the PDF document without recompression.
This means that extracted images will have the maximum possible quality,
only limited by the document's original quality settings!"
Old January 17th 18, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Mayayana wrote:

They're free to charge money for other peoples'
software. It's legal to make a wrapper for XPDF.
But they shouldn't be trying to trick people by
pretending it's free until you try to run it.

Agreed from what I see at my end.
[http://www.rlvision.com/pdfwiz/]

Everything looks free until I run it where it says:
"PDF Image Extraction Wizard 6.32 Demo"
"Welcome to PDF Image Extraction Wizard!"
"This program allows you to easily extract bitmap images from PDF documents
without recompression. Created by RL Vision c 2005-=2017."
"Not registered"
"Only the first three images will be extracted."
"Please register to remove this limitation"

Here is the screenshot of that dialog box:
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...fd104fa 8d97]

The registration button takes you to a "buy" page:
[http://www.rlvision.com/script/redir...p=pdfwiz4_buy]
$15 or $25
Old January 17th 18, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Susan Bugher" wrote

| No need. PDF XChange Viewer has that option.
|
| Your version may but mine does not.

A followup to the last post. For extracting images
and text from PDFs, the open source XPDF usually
works. You need the "tools", not the reader:

http://www.xpdfreader.com/

Unfortunately, they're only command line. Several
years ago I wrote a small program to wrap those
for convenience:

www.jsware.net/jsware/pdfconv.php5

It's free. I wrote it mainly for a blind friend. The
program can put items on the context menu to
right-click-extract from PDF files. The webpage says
Win7 is not supported. It's not blocked, but it
says that because Vista+ is so restricted. You'll
need administrator permissions for the installer
to set the Registry values needed to create the
context menu. For many people that's just too
confusing to deal with.

If you don't want to do all that and you don't
mind command line, just download the XPDF tools
and use them directly.

Old January 17th 18, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eco Clean" wrote

| Might this be the official site?
| [https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...change-viewer]

Yes. That's the official site. If the newer version
is more rstricted it looks like you can get build
214 he

https://www.neowin.net/news/pdf-xcha...-25-build-2142

I use it to do my Federal taxes. It fills forms.
And while I can't create a PDF I can paste
a page into an existing one. So it does most
things I need. And Libre Office Writer
can create PDFs.

Old January 17th 18, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

On 1/16/2018 6:30 PM, Mayayana wrote:

So I thought I'd take a
look at the program you linked. PDF Image
Extraction Wizard. Turns out it's not free.

Sorry, my bad. I sent a link to a web page with the last freeware
version but I wasn't clear enough about what was there. Let's see if I
can do better this time

Program: PDF Image Extraction Wizard
Company: RL Vision
Install: Windows 95; 98; NT4; ME; 2000; XP; Windows Server 2003
Wa (Donationware) (free) LFW (v 1.2)
http://www.321download.com/LastFreew...ge36.html#PIEW
(download link for version:1.2 is shown on that web page - and below).
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/files2/pdf_image_extraction_wizard_12_setup.zip

The zip file contains
File: pdf_image_extraction_wizard_12_setup.exe
Size: 790855 bytes
Modified: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 9:45:06 AM
MD5: 9BFD1388333060252A9BFB137EDE911E

I have the app installed on WinXP so can't advise on later versions of
Windows.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org

Old January 17th 18, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

On 1/16/2018 6:26 PM, Eco Clean wrote:

Might this be the official site?
[https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...change-viewer]

That's the link I have in my notes.

Susan

Old January 17th 18, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Susan Bugher wrote:

I have the app installed on WinXP so can't advise on later versions of
Windows.

Your latest link installed fine in Windows 10, as did the most recent URL
that Mayayana recommended.
Old January 17th 18, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

"Eco Clean" wrote

| Your latest link installed fine in Windows 10, as did the most recent URL
| that Mayayana recommended.

Yes, that seems to be fine. I had gone to the author
website. It's still just an XPDF wrapper, but it works.

Old January 18th 18, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eco Clean

- Mayayana wrote:

Yes, that seems to be fine. I had gone to the author
website. It's still just an XPDF wrapper, but it works.

I just today had my first real need for the PDF X-change viewer freeware!

I had a PDF, printed from the web, which didn't have a few URLs on it that
I wanted on it.

I simply copied the URL into the Windows clipboard, and pasted them into
the PDF document in PDF XChange Viewer, and it worked just fine.

The only change I needed to make was to remove the default red textbox
border each time I pasted the URL.

This allows us to *add* text to whitespace in a PDF easily using freeware.

Thanks!