Light Meter: Sekonic vs Minolta

Old March 9th 05, 06:55 AM
W Chan

Default Light Meter: Sekonic vs Minolta

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

Thanks,

will

Old March 9th 05, 09:39 AM
JohnJ

"W Chan" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta
Auto
VF meters?

I have the L358, but can't compare it to the others you mentioned. I bought
it because it has the radio transmitter (option) for pocket wizard
tranceivers. I use this feature a lot so I prefer it to any meter which
doeas not have this facility, which I beleive the Minolta does not.

I have no problem with the meter except that I sometimes shoot in very low
light and the L358 simply isn't sensitive enough at times.

JJ

Old March 9th 05, 01:50 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article c5xXd.615760$8l.164109@pd7tw1no, W Chan
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
better in this respect.
Old March 9th 05, 03:06 PM
Alan Browne

W Chan wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

I have the Minolta VF. Very good except for not having an automatic
incident flash reset (you haveto press the button each time).

I had a Sekonic 508, and it would reset every time a flash went off ...
so you could position the meter and adjust a strobe without having to
walk back and forth. I don't know how the 358 behaves in this regard.

The Minolta meters are set at 18% grey. The Sekonic meters are set at
14% (or 12, not exactly sure). Depending on your results you may want
of offset the Sekonic by about +1/3 stop to compensate. (The 508 had a
bias setting, I don't know about the 358). Shoot a roll of Sensia with
regular subjects and grey card to find out. If you leave the Sekonic as
is, you will probably end up with slides that are on the saturated side.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 9th 05, 06:07 PM
Crownfield

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
better in this respect.

L-358, EV 1.1, was the low end of the exposure scale

iso 800, 8 seconds, f4
Old March 9th 05, 06:23 PM
chidalgo

W Chan wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

Thanks,

will

The Sekonic is a little more sensitive, and has a 1° spot attachment
(the Minolta has a 5° spot). Also, the Sekonic has the Pocketwizard option.

--
chidalgo
Old March 9th 05, 08:10 PM
Frank Pittel

: wrote:

: Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
: VF meters?

: My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
: ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
: insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
: better in this respect.

I just picked up the new Sekonic 558 and they have fixed the issue with
low light sensitivity.

-------------------

Old March 9th 05, 08:24 PM
Gordon Moat

Alan Browne wrote:

. . . . . . .

The Minolta meters are set at 18% grey. The Sekonic meters are set at
14% (or 12, not exactly sure). Depending on your results you may want
of offset the Sekonic by about +1/3 stop to compensate. (The 508 had a
bias setting, I don't know about the 358).

I was assisting on a shoot in which I brought my Sekonic L-358, and the
photographer supplied a Minolta Meter (forget the model number). All reading were
exactly the same, and there was nothing wrong with the meters.

I don't know where this information comes from that Sekonic meters are off. I
have rented many, and used many others numerous times, including Minolta, Gossen,
digital and old analogue style. It is rare for a meter to be off, and if you
think it is, send it back for recalibration.

Shoot a roll of Sensia with
regular subjects and grey card to find out. If you leave the Sekonic as
is, you will probably end up with slides that are on the saturated side.

The test is to bracket a roll of film under controlled light conditions. Then you
compare the notes. I did just that when I bought my L-358, and it was exactly on
the numbers. I don't think Sekonic would long survive in the business if all
their meters were off right out of the box.

Cheers,
Alan.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 9th 05, 08:27 PM
Gordon Moat

W Chan wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

Thanks,

will

--

I don't think either is a bad choice. You might want to look at Gossen as well,
for another comparison. I have used both many times. After renting light meters

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 9th 05, 08:40 PM
JohnJ

.. (The 508 had a
bias setting, I don't know about the 358).

The L358 has a couple of options to make such a bias adjustment.
JJ