How do I build my own large format lens?

Old June 26th 04, 12:07 AM
Rolfe DH

Default How do I build my own large format lens?

I'd like to build a simple lens for use with a large-format camera
using 'off the shelf' lenses such as those available from a scientific
catalog. Priorities are as follows (all are desireable - but 1 is most
important and 5 is least important):

1) low cost
2) 8x10 coverage
3) ease of construction
4) lack of 'distortion'
5) optical contrast and focus

It's okay if the resulting image quality is somewhat 'soft'.

Please share your experiences and building instructions.

I'm not interested in:
- pin hole lenses
- manufactured lenses
Old June 26th 04, 12:52 AM
RSD99

You can probably find some "components" here
http://edmundoptics.com

Old June 26th 04, 05:01 AM
Marco Milazzo

Here's a beginning: I've always heard that a single meniscus --
essentially a magnifying glass -- is a simple lens which always has an
aperture of f2.

I made some 35mm portraits with such a homemade lens once and it
produced some interesting, soft and diffused images. You might try
improvising an f-stop to sharpen it up.

MM
Old June 26th 04, 08:38 AM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Hi,
Take an achromat doublet from one of the OEM Optics suppliers like Edmund
Optics or similar, mount it in a shutter - as you most likely do not have
experience in determining the aperture plane location, mount it behind
the shutter ( on the side of the film ) and that is is for a start. You
will be surpised regarding the outcome, how good.... The lens should have
a diameter of about 1 inch or similar and should have a focal length of
about 10inches for 8x10 to start.....should not be complicated at all.
Have fun with it - rgds George Nyman

Old July 1st 04, 04:37 AM
CamArtsMag

I'd like to build a simple lens for use with a large-format camera
using 'off the shelf' lenses such as those available from a scientific
catalog. Priorities are as follows (all are desireable - but 1 is most
important and 5 is least important):

View Camera magazine did an article about this a few issues ago. Call us at
800-894-8439 if you would like a copy

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons
Old July 2nd 04, 06:21 AM
Kirk Fry

Really cheap lens. First the shutter is going to be the most
expensive part. Try to find one from an old beat up folder that works
for really cheap then head for you your local drug store or Costco.
Buy the cheapest reading glasses they have. Costco has them for
$5.00. So 1.00 diaopter is 1000mm. 2 diaopters is 500mm. You are
going to cut two circles of plastic, one from each lens and then put
them back to back in the shutter to make a symetrical lens. So if you
stick two 500 mm ones together you will get 250 mm. That is a little
too short so maybe using a 1.50 set of glasses is the place to start.
The at f22 it will be pretty sharp.

Cutting the plastic lenses is not all that easy. I think I might try
something like a soldering iron to melt the edges and then sand paper.
Don't know for sure.

Kirk

Old July 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Kirk Fry" wrote
Someone spouted:
[3rd] Cheapest lens for a view camera? [Guy doesn't like pinholes
or zone plates].

head for you your local drug store or Costco.
Buy the cheapest reading glasses they have.

Two close-up lenses work well too - condition is irrelevant.
If you don't have a selection banging around in a box, well
then, get some: the more used, dusty, cracked and scratched
the better. A barrel can be made from a length of cardboard
tubing or black plastic pipe. Glue an aperture in the middle,
cut a slot(s) in the tube for a set of cardboard waterhouse
stops. Use a hat for a shutter.

Try 'sink strainer', 'wagon wheel' and other such apertures.

Performance will vary with lens spacing and stop position.

The use of two lenses clears up all of the distortion
and some of the aberrations.

You can do the same with a 35mm - use a close-up bellows
and a pair of +3's - results in a 167mm lens.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com