D70 supports Write Acceleration (WA) on Compact Flash?

Old December 22nd 04, 05:51 AM
Randy Howard

Default D70 supports Write Acceleration (WA) on Compact Flash?

The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

For some reason I have not been able to get to the
Nikon USA www.nikonusa.com website through my ISP
for several days now. Some sort of DNS issue, so I can't
check there.

Old December 22nd 04, 06:15 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Randy Howard wrote:

The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

Look at this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
am not usually a madman.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 22nd 04, 06:18 AM
Randy Howard

In article , says...
Randy Howard wrote:

The Lexar website
http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

Look at this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.

Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it.

That is also good news.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:58 PM
Alan Browne

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
am not usually a madman.

Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it". You
might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp engine in
a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).

Old December 22nd 04, 04:09 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Alan Browne wrote:
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it. But I don't shoot sports, and
am not usually a madman.

Fast write cards fall into the category of "it's there when you need it".
You might never need it, but like a 200W/channel sound system or a 300 hp
engine in a touring sedan, the headroom can be comforting (for some).

Oh, certainly. If all else were equal, I'd be using one. But unfortunately,
all else (namely, the price) is not equal.

But, as someone who likes having a stupid-fast car, I know what you mean.
When it comes time to pull out into fast-moving traffic, it really saves
the day.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 23rd 04, 01:19 PM
Graham Holden

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:18:11 GMT, Randy Howard
wrote:

In article , says...
Randy Howard wrote:

The Lexar website
http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

Look at this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Well, from that it certainly appears that it does, at least with
the firmware revision posted there. Thank you very much.

Note that the buffer in the D70 lets you shoot without waiting for the
last shot to write out to the card; unless you're shooting sports, or
are a madman, you won't be waiting to take your next shot even with
a standard CF card. I put a standard card in mine, not high speed at
all, and basically never notice it.

That is also good news.

According to Nikon, the D70 doesn't support "Write Acceleration".

It _will_ benefit from faster cards in general, but not specifically from
WA technology.

Source: Nikon European Support Cent

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...p?p_faqid=1272

Old December 25th 04, 02:21 PM
C J Campbell

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .

The Lexar website http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
Lexar garbage and get a real card.

Old December 25th 04, 11:07 PM
Seymore

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
news

Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that

the
Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme

compact
flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return

that
Lexar garbage and get a real card.

Have you got a link for CF comparisons with the D70?

Old December 27th 04, 06:08 PM
Randy Howard

says...

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .

The Lexar website
http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/wa_cf.html
does not list the D70 as supporting WA, but I don't know
how up to date it is.

Why bother? Most reviews of the D70 and various cards demonstrate that the
Lexar card is among the slowest cards. The SD Ultra II and Extreme compact
flash cards are much faster and actually do what they promise. Return that
Lexar garbage and get a real card.

What a bunch of BS. This link comparing the various cards on the
D70: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Shows that the Sandisk cards are approximately 0.1 MB/s faster than
the lexar w/512MB. With the 1GB cards, the Lexar is actually about
the same amount faster than either the Extreme or Ultra II.

With 2GB, the size I purchased, the difference between the Lexar
and the Sandisk Extreme is 0.005 MB/s, with the Lexar about 0.021
MB/s faster than the Ultra II.

Seems pretty much identical from here, plus the Lexar has a lifetime
replacement warranty.

If you are going to lie, you should choose to do it about something
without empirical evidence to contradict you.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"For some reason most people seem to be born without the part