Can a Nikor Film lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

Old March 26th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Neil Jones[_2_]

Default Can a Nikor Film lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

Hello,

For a while now I have only been playing with digital point and shoot
cameras. I would like to get back to using the SLR camera.

I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

If it does not work with the newer cameras, then what is a good asking
price to sell this lens?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice.

NJ
Old March 26th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
frederick

Neil Jones wrote:
Hello,

For a while now I have only been playing with digital point and shoot
cameras. I would like to get back to using the SLR camera.

I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

Yes - it is an excellent lens on a Nikon DSLR, with one reservation:
It won't auto-focus on Nikon D40 and D40x models, or the new D60 -
budget priced dslrs that don't have a focus motor in the camera body.
It will auto-focus on D50/70/70s/100/200/300 and all D1 and D2 series
cameras.
There are several versions of the AF-D lens, all with the same "optical
formula", perhaps better coatings on newer versions. Focus speed goes
from acceptable (older "push-pull") to fast (later "two-ring" version
with tripod collar). The only better lenses of this type are the 80-200
AFs (with built in focus motor), and 70-200 VR (image stabilised lens).
The 80-200 AF-D has outstanding optical quality at 80-135mm @ f2.8,
average performance (usable, but with some SA/CA) at 200mm f2.8.
Your other AF lenses should also work with no problem (subject to same
limitation with AF on D40/40x/60). Manual focus lenses will also work,
but with some possible limitations depending on camera body. Really old
"pre-AI" lenses may require often simple "AI conversion" to mount on the
camera body.

Old March 26th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Focus

"frederick" wrote in message news:1206568233.74414@ftpsrv1...
Neil Jones wrote:
[...]

Eh, you forgot the best Nikon so far: D3 !

--
Focus

Old March 26th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank Arthur

Neil- you can use the lenses that you used on your Nikon 6006 AF
with your new Nikon DSLR camera bodies.

Old March 26th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
frederick

Neil Jones wrote:
[...]

I did too. I make a conscious effort to try to forget it - it isn't
worth dying for to buy one (My wife would surely kill me if I did).
Old March 26th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jürgen Exner

Neil Jones wrote:
I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

A namesake of yours just posted exactly the same question in
rec.photo.digital. Please see there for an answer, I am not going to
retype it here.

jue

Old March 27th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson[_2_]

Neil Jones wrote:

Hello,

For a while now I have only been playing with digital point and shoot
cameras. I would like to get back to using the SLR camera.

I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

If it does not work with the newer cameras, then what is a good asking
price to sell this lens?

Thank you in advance for any information or advice.

The lens will work on any Nikon DSLR. However, with the D40, D40X or
D60, all except the last AF-S version of the lens will not offer
autofocus because those cameras lack the in-body focusing motor and
rely on the in-lens motor fitted to AF-S lenses.

Optically, the 80-200mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor is a fine lens. It came in
four versions. The original version was a "one touch lens" - with
focusing and zooming on one ring. The second version, the AF Nikkor
80-200mm f/2.8D, was also a one touch lens. It added the "D" distance
feature designed to help with flash photography. Look for a "D" after
the 2.8 on the lens barrel.

The third version had a revised optical design, separate zoom and
focusing rings and the "D" feature. The fourth version, which was
sold simultaneously with the third version and did not replace it, had
a slightly different optical design, separate zoom and focusing tings,
the "D" feature and the AF-S "Silent Wave" motor. Only this last
version will give autofocus on the D40, D40X and D60.

There is a weakness in the first version (one touch zoom, no "D"
feature) in that the ribbon cable that joins the in-lens "chip" to the
contacts in the lens mount is prone to break. Spares are no longer
available, and the option of using a cable from a lens being broken up
for spares is not a good one as the ribbon cables are all weak. The
cable from the outwardly similar one touch "D" lens will not fit.

I think Nikon probably ordered what they thought were a reasonable
number of spare ribbon cables but they were used up all too quickly.

This fault does not affect the one touch "D" version, nor does it
affect either of the two touch versions.

The AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 has been replaced by the AF-Nikkor
70-200mm F2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR. Optically, it improves resolution
off-axis and performs better at close distances. But these
improvements are relatively small. The main difference is in the
addition of the VR feature - vibration reduction.

If you want to sell your lens, search on eBay for the prices of
completed items. The used prices of the earliest version are low,
reflecting the high risk of ribbon cable failure and the inability to
repair it. Good luck!