The non-night night shot

Old October 12th 10, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The non-night night shot

On 2010-10-11 17:49:32 -0700, Vance said:

The Night Shot SI is coming up and I was a little tempted, but just a
little, to enter the final version of this shot. This is a test
location shot for a book cover. Very noire, 40's, Dashiel Hammet type
of thing. Finished, it will have the requisite model in trench coat
and big floppy hat, shadowed face and something threatening (still to
be determined) . However, it's not a night shot.

I'm just posting this in case anyone has a flash and wants to play
with it a little. Here's the stairwell as it was on an overcast day:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

And

here it is with a flash mounted behind the light fixture to the
right. Shots like this are pretty easy. Meter the ambient light, or
the reflected scene and decrease exposure. In this case, 1 2/3
stops. Set your flash to give you the proper exposure for the
aperture you are using. The flash here was a Canon 580 EX clamped to
the conduit feeding the light fixture with a black piece of
construction paper in the shape of a tube wrapped around the flash
head and secured with a rubber band. The flash was angled to rake the
light across the doorway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink

In

the midst of all the fascinating technical talk here in RPD, I
thought there might be someone out there that might want to get out
and recreate with there camera and maybe try something new for
themselves. It's an old technique, but not used often by the
recreational photographer.

Vance

Put your model down there. Get your shot. Then in post add a texture
overlay and some noise, or pseudo grain. adjust to set the mood, and I
give you noire doorway.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...MG_0231-2B.jpg

There is also last week's PhotoShop TV where, at about the 9:50 mark,
Corey Barker demonstrates using layer effects to get the sort of effect
you might be looking for, complete with fedora!
http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv/2...5/episode-245/

Savageduck

Old October 12th 10, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...-eJQamOqnPnVYU...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eBZgamOqnPnVYU...

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Doorway-to-Below_MG_0231-2B.jpg

There is also last week's PhotoShop TV where, at about the 9:50 mark,
Corey Barker demonstrates using layer effects to get the sort of effect
you might be looking for, complete with fedora!
http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv/2010/10/05/episode-245/

Savageduck

I didnt get past the ****e music...

Try. You might learn something.

I also hate enthusiastic music sound tracks (particularly when it is
awful), but sometimes the information available is quite good, and
worth checking.

Savageduck

Old October 12th 10, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 11, 11:21*pm, Savageduck
wrote:
On 2010-10-11 17:49:32 -0700, Vance said:

[...]

I didn't post the shot to show what I could do with Photoshop and
lighting, or what I can do at all. Photography isn't an ego thing for
me. Most of the time, it's a job and positive feedback comes in its
preferred form of check. This was just something that anyone could do
if they wanted to dress up a shot or experiment a little and have a
flash that they can use off camera. Some people like to do that, some
don't and prefer to capture things pretty much as they are in camera.
I just put it out there as a 'If you try this, you can get a result
something like this' post. It's illustrative and not meant to be an
image on it's own.

Vance

OK!

I was just saying.

Savageduck

Old October 12th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2010-10-11 23:29:53 -0700, Val Hallah said:

I didnt get past the ****e music...

Try. You might learn something.

I also hate enthusiastic music sound tracks (particularly when it is
awful), but sometimes the information available is quite good, and worth
checking.

My keyboard has a button to completely silence all sounds... And good
web design will have a stop button for music.

Just sayin'

Old October 12th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-11 23:29:53 -0700, Val Hallah said:

I didnt get past the ****e music...

Try. You might learn something.

I also hate enthusiastic music sound tracks (particularly when it is
awful), but sometimes the information available is quite good, and worth
checking.

My keyboard has a button to completely silence all sounds... And good
web design will have a stop button for music.

Just sayin'

Unfortunately Kelby does both Photoshop User TV and DTownTV as a video
production, and the bad music is part of that production, not a part of
the web site per se. It is imbedded in the site and also available as a
PodCast. So, if there is an episode of particular interest, I will mute
through the titles, chit-chat, and fast forward through the tired ads.
Fortunately the music is limited to the title sequence and their one ad
break.

Plenty of the content in these two shows is very informative, and is
worth the few minutes to take a break and check what they have to say.
It is always good to get a different take on some things. Photoshop and
Lightroom fall into that category.

Savageduck