Old film refridged 8 years

Old December 14th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
AAvK

Default Old film refridged 8 years

Hello all, pertinent to the recent thread "expired film" in rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I have several rolls of 120/220 I shot in '97 - '99, I have kept it all refridged in a lead
lined travel film bag since then, and only recently put it in the freezer! Need to know,
how should it be developed? Pushed or pulled? Special or concentrated chemicals?
What damage has been done?

Please reply,

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Old December 14th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David Nebenzahl

AAvK spake thus:

I have several rolls of 120/220 I shot in '97 - '99, I have kept it all
refridged in a lead lined travel film bag since then, and only recently
put it in the freezer! Need to know, how should it be developed?
Pushed or pulled? Special or concentrated chemicals?
What damage has been done?

My guess is probably nothing, at least nothing significant. Not long ago
I developed several rolls of film that had been exposed about 25 years
ago, and they were fine for the most part. I used normal devlopment.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old December 14th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Duncan

It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room for at
least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to room temp.

Take some test shops and process normally. You'd be able to check from that
what handling is necessary as each batch and storage environment will change
for each person. When I last found some buried freeze stock I found it lost
about a stop and a half.

Duncan

Old December 14th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Harry Stottle

"Duncan" wrote in message
It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room
for at least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to
room temp.

Take some test shops and process normally.

Wouldn't that give double exposure? ;-)

Old December 14th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Poul B-H

"Duncan" wrote in message
It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room for
at least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to room temp.

??? Put them in a plasticbag and leave them in roomtempertaure,for some
hours, all the condensation will happen on the bag.

Old December 14th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Duncan" wrote in message
It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room for
at least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to room temp.

Take some test shops and process normally.

Wouldn't that give double exposure? ;-)

Just a guess that "test shops" is not "test shots" but "test chops"; that
is, cut a roll into pieces and process each piece differently.

Old December 15th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David Nebenzahl

Ken Hart spake thus:

"Duncan" wrote in message

It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room for
at least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to room temp.

Take some test shops and process normally.

Wouldn't that give double exposure? ;-)

Just a guess that "test shops" is not "test shots" but "test chops"; that
is, cut a roll into pieces and process each piece differently.

Which would be totally unnecessary, given the age of the latent image,
assuming it has been stored as the OP described for most of that time.
Just develop normally.

Old December 15th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Pudentame

Duncan wrote:
It's the condensation that will do more damage IMO.

Take one roll and defrost 24 hours in the fridge. Place in cold room for at
least 4 hours and then bring into a cool room to warm up to room temp.

Take some test shops and process normally.

He already exposed the film back in 1997.

He just wants to know if he's got to do anything special now to process
them. He should be ok if he skips the test "shops" and just processes
the film normally.
Old December 15th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

David Nebenzahl wrote:

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

http://creepingmeatball.blogspot.com...rror-rate.html

And beyond that I've noticed that quality and richness of Wiki articles
has continued to grow since the study last year.

Old December 15th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

AAvK wrote:
Hello all, pertinent to the recent thread "expired film" in rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I have several rolls of 120/220 I shot in '97 - '99, I have kept it all refridged in a lead
lined travel film bag since then, and only recently put it in the freezer! Need to know,
how should it be developed? Pushed or pulled? Special or concentrated chemicals?
What damage has been done?

The lead bag will do nothing against alpha particles that fly through
lead as if empty space. So some fogging of the film may occur. If a
"low-ish" speed film (50/100) then possibly not so bad.

I woud process normally and not be surprised that they are more than
acceptable (assuming that they were well exposed to begin with, of
course...)

Cheers,
Alan

Old film refridged 8 years AAvK In The Darkroom 68 January 13th 07 07:42 AM
Old film refridged 8 years AAvK 35mm Photo Equipment 63 January 13th 07 07:42 AM
Any APS film in 5 years ?.. Aymeric Peyret APS Photographic Equipment 2 October 8th 04 03:09 AM
Four years old HP5+ (Please Help) David Foy Film & Labs 0 September 30th 03 01:26 AM