Manual focus lenses with a D70.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:23 AM
nospam

In article , Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
:

I've found over the years there are just too many things that an in
camera meter can't meter.

You mean, rather, that you don't know how to meter things properly?
An in-camera meter is no different from a hand-held meter.

there is a *huge* difference between the two.

in-camera meters are convenient but you can't incident meter, flash
meter or measure ambient color temperature. some cameras can spot meter
with the built in meter but those are nowhere near as flexible or as
tight a spot as with a dedicated spot meter.

on the other hand, in-camera meters can examine multiple areas of the
image, make some guesses about what the subject is and adjust the
exposure accordingly. handheld meters can't do that.
Old January 3rd 05, 06:17 AM
Phil Stripling

Jon Pike writes:

that's kind of silly... it's like you're trying to determine your exposure
-after- you've taken your shot!

I'm not sure what the problem is if I'm taking landscapes on a day when the
light is fairly constant. Am I missing something?

Old January 3rd 05, 06:41 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Jon Pike writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in :

because I use the LCD and histogram for exposure determination now
almost exclusively.

that's kind of silly... it's like you're trying to determine your exposure
-after- you've taken your shot!

What's silly is trying to use a light meter which gives me one number
attempting to approximate the light coming from a scene as it might be
recorded by another sensor, instead of taking a sample using the
actual sensor that will be used for the final image and analyzing
*that*.
Old January 3rd 05, 01:27 PM
Jon Pike

Phil Stripling wrote in
:

Jon Pike writes:

that's kind of silly... it's like you're trying to determine your
exposure -after- you've taken your shot!

I'm not sure what the problem is if I'm taking landscapes on a day
when the light is fairly constant. Am I missing something?

You're missing the whole point of actually -learning- how to do
photography. If you knew how to meter properly before shooting, you could
get it done right the -first- time. Your 'system' doesn't work too well for
any other situations, does it?

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

Old January 3rd 05, 01:30 PM
Jon Pike

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

Jon Pike writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote in
:

because I use the LCD and histogram for exposure determination now
almost exclusively.

that's kind of silly... it's like you're trying to determine your
exposure -after- you've taken your shot!

What's silly is trying to use a light meter which gives me one number
attempting to approximate the light coming from a scene as it might be
recorded by another sensor, instead of taking a sample using the
actual sensor that will be used for the final image and analyzing
*that*.

No, what you've just said is that you don't believe the decades of work
that has been put into standardizing light meters and their readings.
That's just dumb.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Old January 3rd 05, 01:49 PM
Jon Pike

John A. Stovall wrote in
:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:56:22 GMT, Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
m:

I've found over the years there are just too many things that an in
camera meter can't meter.

You mean, rather, that you don't know how to meter things properly?
An in-camera meter is no different from a hand-held meter.

Rather, I would say you don't know how to use a good spot meter.

"Man came silently into the world."

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
_The Phenomenon Of Man_

yes, a silly little troll -would- say something like that.

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Old January 3rd 05, 09:54 PM
nospam

In article , Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:56:22 GMT, Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
m:

I've found over the years there are just too many things that an in
camera meter can't meter.

You mean, rather, that you don't know how to meter things properly?
An in-camera meter is no different from a hand-held meter.

Rather, I would say you don't know how to use a good spot meter.

yes, a silly little troll -would- say something like that.

have you used a spot meter? what about an incident meter or flash
meter? or even a handheld reflective meter?

if you have, you should realize the differences, advantages and
disadvantages of them.

if you see no difference between a handeheld meter and an in-camera
meter then your ability to use either one effectively is questionable.
Old January 3rd 05, 09:54 PM
nospam

In article , Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:56:22 GMT, Jon Pike
wrote:

John A. Stovall wrote in
m: