Film is Dead... or is it?

Old October 20th 04, 09:54 PM
Donald Qualls

jjs wrote:

I work with digital media all day, and have a constituency of about 8,000
users. I hear the same, "I lost my pictures", but more often it is, "I can't
FIND my pictures!"

The only differences between "lost" and "can't find" is that "can't
find" is still taking up space, somewhere -- and someone else might be
able to find the "can't find" pictures for you.

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old October 20th 04, 10:27 PM
Paul Friday

In message , jjs writes
Interesting is it not that even early traditional film cameras had a special
Tropical version. Talk about a nasty environment...

OK, so it's not MF, but my Canon WP-1 does a cracking job at coping with
water, mud, steam, the occasional blood spill and general
unpleasantness. It replaced a cheaper unit that was equally impervious,
and survived repeated heavy impacts with the ground each time I fell off
a dirt bike.
The only reservation is that you have to open the back and reload in the
dry.

I'm not sure if there's a MF equivalent - anyone?
--
----------------------------
Paul Friday

Old October 21st 04, 08:37 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Jim Phelps wrote:

"jjs" wrote in message ...
A faculty member borrowed an Olympus 8080 from me for his trip to
Mongolia. He came back saying "It stopped working. I plugged it in to
charge, and it got REAL BRIGHT for a second and stopped working." Oy. I'm
sending him out with a film camera next time.

Mongolia, 220 volt power grid? 110 volt charger?

AFAIK, modern battery-powered gadgets (digicams, phones, PDAs, ...) come
with chargers that autodetect input voltage. The usual allowed input
range is 100V to 240V.

-- Lassi