Film availability

Old October 15th 04, 08:20 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Paul Farrar wrote:

The last I heard, film was the cash cow they were using to support their
money losing digital ventures. In fact everyone was losing lots of money

on
digital in a desperate attempt to survive the shakeout that always happens
when an infant industry matures. Fortunately, for almost all the players,
photography is a sideline to their main business. (Leica and Cosina being
the exceptions.)

A bit off-topic, and yet another Hasselblad thing (i know... it must get
tedious), but here's a historical paralel:

Victor Hasselblad, the producer of that fine, epoch making photographic
equipment, is said not to have made a profit until about 20 years after he
begun selling his cameras and odd-bits.
He was funding his "money losing [...] ventures" milking the very same "cash
cow"*: the sale of Kodak film.

(* over here, we can handle full metaphores and don't need them partly
explained. So we just say "milk cow", and people know what that means ;-))

Leica may be wholly devoted to photography, Leica's owner is not.
As you must know, Leica is part of a luxury fashion accessory company. And
as far as economics are concerned, Leicas are indeed luxury fashion
accessories.

Old October 15th 04, 08:56 PM
Donald Qualls

Robert Feinman wrote:

There are continuing questions about the future availability of
120 and 220 size film. This seems to be having a negative effect
on purchase decisions for MF equipment.
I think a small campaign by us to the film makers to make some sort
of public commitment would be useful. Perhaps if each of us wrote to
the companies involved stating our continuing need for these formats
we might get a response.

Nice thought, but I wouldn't expect any "committment" you might receive
to last any longer than the first annual shareholder's meeting in which
film is reported as unprofitable, or insufficiently profitable compared
to other branches of the business to warrant continued capital investment.

"Oh, you have a letter from Joe McSchmoe, formerly of Film and Paper
Coatings, a division of Amalgamated, promising to continue 120 format
film production until at least 2025? That's nice. Perhaps he can honor
that committment from his new position with Greater Southeastern
Landfills Inc., but Amalgamated Film and Chemical is closing our
Metropolis coating plant in January because it no longer pays us to make
photographic film. We're reporting a one-time charge of $35 million for
severance packages for 762 employees, and the physical assets of the
coating division will be sold at auction, for scrap, on February 2nd.
Be sure to come, we'll have an Official Sunrise Groundhog Day
Celebration before the bidding starts! Bring your own coffee, of course."

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old October 15th 04, 08:57 PM
jjs

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message

A bit off-topic, and yet another Hasselblad thing (i know... it must get
tedious), but here's a historical paralel:

Victor Hasselblad, the producer of that fine, epoch making photographic
equipment, is said not to have made a profit until about 20 years after he
begun selling his cameras and odd-bits.
He was funding his "money losing [...] ventures" milking the very same
"cash
cow"*: the sale of Kodak film.

Very interesting!

Leica may be wholly devoted to photography, Leica's owner is not.
As you must know, Leica is part of a luxury fashion accessory company. And
as far as economics are concerned, Leicas are indeed luxury fashion
accessories.

I knew it! Those special editions - when can we expect the U.S. Spotted Owl
skinned M camera?

Old October 16th 04, 01:34 AM
Stacey

Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

Paul Farrar wrote:

The last I heard, film was the cash cow they were using to support their
money losing digital ventures. In fact everyone was losing lots of money

on
digital in a desperate attempt to survive the shakeout that always
happens when an infant industry matures. Fortunately, for almost all the
players, photography is a sideline to their main business. (Leica and
Cosina being the exceptions.)

A bit off-topic, and yet another Hasselblad thing (i know... it must get
tedious), but here's a historical paralel:

Victor Hasselblad, the producer of that fine, epoch making photographic
equipment, is said not to have made a profit until about 20 years after he
begun selling his cameras and odd-bits.
He was funding his "money losing [...] ventures" milking the very same
"cash cow"*: the sale of Kodak film.

I had read this someone else, part of the reason the early models had Ektar
lenses was the deal they had with kodak.
--

Stacey

Old October 16th 04, 03:48 AM
Gordon Moat

jjs wrote:

[...]

Have you checked out the built to order Leica M program? They now offer a
selection of coverings, including some that are Ostrich skin look, or even real
leather. Just wait another year, and I am sure Spotted Owl will be on the list
of choices. More at:

http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/msystem/alacarte/index_e.html

Ciao!

Gordon Moat