Looking for a quick photos' naming/labeling software

Old August 19th 13, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ghost-Rider

Default Looking for a quick photos' naming/labeling software

Le 19/08/2013 10:44, a écrit :
Le dimanche 18 août 2013 16:18:10 UTC+2, Tony Cooper a écrit :

I am gobsmacked, though, by a need to identify 1,200 different people.
Except for government security agencies, I simply can't imagine the need to identify 1,200 people.

Picasa asked me to identify 1200 people but I only retained 50 persons who are my family and friends.
The idea is just being able to quickly find a photo taken at a specifed date and which contains the persons I want without having to name each photo file.

And that is very efficient and fast.

Picasa is excellent at this but it does not seem very good at retouching pictures.

Picasa is good at rectifying high lights, low lights, contrast, WB,
tilting, details, small defects (dust), reframing, red eyes, saturation,
neutral color etc.. and copying these corrections to a bunch of photos
and all this in a snap and without destructing the file.
But Picasa cannot make local corrections (apart from small defects),
rectify faulty perspective, enhancing a specific color, use curves or
masks, erasing unwanted wires on foliage, cars or people etc..

For image retouching, I use the Nikon NXView image editor provided by Nikon which can edit NEF files.

Picasa can read and "edit" all raw files, but not as well as Nikon View.
I suspect it only edits a jpg version of the raw file.
I also have Nikon View but I only use Picasa since I only use jpgs and
it can do the same as Nikon View (sometimes with a workaround), and a
lot faster.