"New" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR gets heavy criticism

Old July 29th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default "New" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR gets heavy criticism

Bruce wrote:

Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.

The Alpha range is dying.

I suspect you're right. The other makers tend to churn out lower-end
models that might lack features of the more expensive cameras, but what
they can do - they do well. If they have "featuritis" like generally
useless video and almost useless (for other than a compact cam)
liveview, it doesn't get in the way of them working well as... well
(d)slr cameras should, and adds little to the cost. Sony have delivered
a camera that doesn't do anything very well. They're coming out with
the NEX10 video camera soon, which lacks a 1080p/24 mode, also lacking
in the video-centric NEX3&5. It's like they're disconnected from their
competitors in the marketplace. An assumption could be that the
a700/900 were the product of Minolta ideology/staff. When the a900
didn't sell, the marketing boys made them churn out the a850 (how can it
possibly fail - the cheapest most ever pixel dslr?) Well it has. Here a
few weeks ago, local dealers were quitting stock of a850 + 24-70 f2.8
sold as a kit, for about $US1800 (including almost $200 tax). I almost
grabbed one - but came to my senses.