a portrait - Ellen DeGeneres

Old May 20th 10, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

Default a portrait - Ellen DeGeneres (link fix)

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

When I went to school (which was a long, long time ago) it wasn't "set up
to churn out mindless workers." If that's really what it's become, then
that too is surely the direct fault of the education community.

Nape! It's the fault of the parents who allow a lousy curriculum.

--
Peter

Old May 20th 10, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

That's true enough, but doesn't most of the fault there lie with the
education community itself? They have powerful unions and therefore
plenty of political influence (especially now, all the way up to the
White House). If they can't do something about the ****, who can?

I notice that Catholic schools seem to be doing a lot better job, and
with a lot less money. And no unions.

Come to Long Island where you'll find that many teachers are going to lose
their jobs. The state has cut funding and there's no money to pay all of
them. Now, they earn a good salary on Long Island. Starting pay is about
40K, more in some districts. Every teacher in New York is required to
have an MBA after five years of receiving their teaching license. So, if
after five years, a teacher is earning 45K (assuming a 3% per year
increase which is generous nowadays and doesn't really happen) with an
MBA, is that really overpaid?

I'm married to a school teacher. My wife teaches kindergarten special ed.
She works hard, darn hard. She has two MBAs, has had her wrist broken,
her kneecap shattered, and almost had a miscarraige due to injuries
inflicted by students. She deals with parents who should never have been
allowed to reproduce and cause more problems than their kids. She earns
every penny she gets.

Cant believe you and I are on the same side of a discussion. :-)

--
Peter

Old May 20th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

It's a Long Island thing. We value our schools and our teachers. Look at
all the budget votes from Tuesday - all but ten passed. This isn't New
Jersey.

Old May 20th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

BTW, the fact that we're on the same side of this discussion proves that you
can't be wrong all the time

Old May 20th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

"Mark L" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:28:06 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

Yes something is seriously broken in our education system and it is not
the
teachers. Starting with the testing system, where teachers, schools and
administrators are rated on how well the kids do on the test. Do you think
they are encouraged to teach life skills, or teach to the test. If an item
is 4 for $1.00 try buying 3. See if the cashier can figure it out without
the computerized register. When I was a kid, if I did poorly, my parents
would quickly gret involved. Today, if a kid is not doing well, it's the
teacher's fault. B.S. Whatever happened to parental involvement. Get rid
of
political correctness. Go back to neighborhood schools.
At one time they tried an experiment called open enrollment. NYC colleges
admitted everybody, regardless of ability. It was a dismal failure. I was
an
adjunct and had instructions that all kids must pass. I refused to go
along
and my contract was not renewed. (Not for that reason, I told the
department
chairman that he was a pompous asshole.)

Again, this is the direct result from the human trait of greed being
heralded as something that is beneficial to survival.

Interesting

Greedy republican CEOs have set up a financial environment for half a
century where both parents have to be employed or work more than one job
each just to provide basic necessities for their offspring, just barely.
In
effect, the wealthy want (and already have) everyone automatically born as
an indentured slave. This does not allow those who reproduce to raise
their
children with the attention they deserve. Their children grow up in an
environment where they see their parents more interested in financial gain
than the children themselves. They quickly learn the lesson that material
possessions and financial wealth are far more important than their own
human lives.

Oh!
I was not aware that the Republicans have been in charge for fifty years.
BTW Exactly what does the "keep up with the JOneses" attitude of the parents
have to do with the political party of some CEOs.

Then they are sent to schools where the number of pupils to teachers does
not allow individual attention because there's not enough money for that.

Ever compare the cost per student in the US with the cost elsewhere?
Throwing money at the problem is not the answer.

Again, they are taught that things, other than themselves, are more
important and to be valued. This is why you see children shooting other
children over something as simple as a pair of gym-shoes. The other
children's lives have no value to them, only "things" and money have value
to them. That's what they learned as they grew up watching their parents
run off to their required menial jobs and leaving them alone. Watch
another
youtube video of classmates beating up another just for fun. Fame,
popularity, and wealth are far more important than that human life they
are
beating on.

You have nothing but your own promotion of greed to blame for the state of
your education system and the behavior of the children it consumes.

So a desire for comfort = greed.

But in real life there are people who come upon hard times, through no
fault of their own.

There are indeed, but I daresay they make up a very, very small portion
of
the jobless.

Do you actually believe that most jobless people like it that way? Wow!
get
a grip
How many hundreds of thousands were put out of work because of the greed
of
investment bankers. I personally know quite a few. Not one of them doesn't
want to work.

Do we let them starve on the streets, or provide a safety net to help
them get back.
The problem is that a few will play the system.

Much more than "a few," I'm afraid.

Give me meaningful statistics.

It may very well cost more to root them out, than it is worth.

How can it? The taxpayer is carrying them on his back now, as he has
been
all along. Anything that gets them off the taxpayer's back is
worthwhile.

Who is them?
Throw the cheats in jail. But don't take away the safety net from those
who
need it.

How would you feel about hiring more social workers to screen and assist
the
poor.

Yes, lets build more prisons. After all, you have been taught that putting
someone in jail is more important than giving them an education. It's
simpler, faster, and more profitable. It even creates minimum-wage jobs to
build and staff prisons. That's how the last local prison was promoted in
the local news. Prisons make more money for CEOs than schools do. Now go
get another job to pay for it in taxes. Greedy CEOs have found a way to
tap
into your tax money directly and groom politicians to pass laws to ensure
those prisons have a ready supply of inhabitants. They've got you right
where they want you. You're just all too ignorant and foolish to realize
it.

Yawn. Another mindless rant

Promote your own greed some more. I am finding this thoroughly enjoyable
watching this all play out. I always wondered how a total collapse of a
civilization took place. There was never anyone left to record previous
collapses. This is most fascinating.

From a world economy on the precipice of total collapse that has been
created and undermined by the greedy; to an impending collapse of a
medical
system that everyone has been taught to be dependent on, again created by
greed; now add in 4 to 6 generations of children who have been taught that
material possessions and money are far more important than your own human
lives.

Have fun trying to reverse the damage you have done by promoting
capitalism
and greed. But I have to tell you ... it is far far too late for that.

Enjoy the show.

I will, I am. Enjoying the show, that is. It doesn't matter what happens
the rest of civilization. It won't change my life one bit. I know how to
survive without the help of anyone. I could be the last person on earth
and
it wouldn't change my life one bit. Well, actually, it would. It would
only
increase the quality of my life.

Do you know how to survive alone? You might want to learn ... fast.

Sad sick man.
BTW What kind of photography do you do?

--
Peter

Old May 20th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Mark L

On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:15:57 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

Oh!
I was not aware that the Republicans have been in charge for fifty years.

The republican political party hasn't been in charge for fifty years, nor
have the democrats. CEOs have been in charge for 50+ years. They're the
ones that decide which politicians you get to vote for in any party.
Carefully groomed to do the CEOs' bidding, not yours, no matter what party
you vote for. It hasn't been "a government by the people and for the
people" for a very long time. It's been "a government by the CEOs and for
the CEOs". Capitalism has completely destroyed democracy a long time ago.
You're just too stupid to realize it. The majority of the CEOs, however,
being republicans with their wonderful "trickle-down theory" that ended
with 95% of the wealth of the world remaining in their own bank accounts.
That was no "theory". It was a carefully calculated manipulation tactic to
make themselves even wealthier. Idiots like you then bought it--hook, line,
and sinker.

You're not very bright. I'll mark you down in the "won't survive" column.

Old May 20th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
GMAN[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

If THEY earned that wealth, what the **** gives you the right to take their
money for yourself?
Old May 20th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Mark L

On Thu, 20 May 2010 20:38:59 GMT, (GMAN)

wrote:

[...]

But they didn't earn it, you fool. Unless you consider "earning it" being
deceptive, greedy, and manipulative enough to trick you out of your own
wealth to make you vastly more poor than they were to begin with. See any
episode of the "Survivor" TV game-show to see how it all works. Surely you
can understand something as simple as that.

You easily go in the "won't survive" column too. If you judge survivability
by how wealth is spread amongst the world's populations today with present
policies, values, principles, and beliefs; then I surmise that less than 5%
of you will end up in the "survived" column. Probably far less than that,
because the same capitalist principles and beliefs will continue to take
95% of the remaining 5%, and then 95% of that remainder. People are slow
learners. They won't change their core beliefs in the concept of currency
until it is far too late. There shall be few left, if any, after capitalism
and greed has run its course in destroying humanity and civilization as you
know it.

As I said, enjoy the show.

I am.

Old May 20th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

You're right I am pretty dumb. I'll not again make the mistake of trying to
explain reality & capitalism to you.

Bye

--
Peter

Old May 21st 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Mark L

On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:18:40 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Some people can only see trees. Some can see the trees, and the forest, and
the breadth of the biome in which they reside, while taking into account
prevailing climate changes so they will know where future tree species
might or might not sprout and survive.

Enjoy your one-tree level mentality. Ignorance, after all, is indeed bliss.
May you smile in contentment all the way to your own demise.