a portrait - Ellen DeGeneres

Old May 16th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

Default a portrait - Ellen DeGeneres (link fix)

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

I doubt it. There are a lot of celebrity lesbians and I haven't heard of
any one of them actually giving birth. They always seem to acquire "their"
children by adoption.

And that has nothing to do with gay marriage causing a population decline.
(not sure that a decline would be a bad thing.)
A bigger and more important problem is that the more intelligent people
practice some form of birth control. Many of the less intelligent do not.

--
Peter

Old May 16th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

"Phil H Armonick" wrote in message

There's no such thing as "young crotch rocket motorcyclists" in Florida.
Every last person I saw on a motorcycle in Florida looked to be well over
65 years old. I suspect that's where bikers go to die because they can
ride
there year-round until they do. Funniest thing in the world is to see a
large group of bikers in the distance, you think it's a bunch of rugged
guys with their trophy-bitches on back. Then as they get near there's
nothing but gray and white beards and hair flying, or bald glinting in the
sun. Some with their canes strapped to the sides of their bikes (no lie).
laughed the first few times I saw this, then it became just an ordinary
grin-worthy spectacle. More power to 'em, I guess! But I'd rather die on
some precarious mountain-pass before that age on a bike. Seeing that
spectacle is like seeing someone's great-grandmother trying to wear a
thong
or string-bikini. There's just some things you shouldn't do out in public
after a certain age. Riding motorcycles and trying to look young and macho
is one of them. Then too they probably shouldn't even bother wearing
leathers. There's not a whole lot of difference between where their
leather
vests end and their arms and necks start.

You envision what you hope you will see.
One of my friends had a yellow Afghan that rode in the front passenger seat
of his BMW. He deliberately rode in the left lane. I would love to have
photos of the expressions of the guys who passed on the right and saw it was
a dog.

--
Peter

Old May 17th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:31:50 -0500, Phil H Armonick
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2010 10:22:18 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

Older drivers in
cities like St Petersburg and around The Villages can be a problem,
but a less dangerous problem than young crotch rocket motorcyclists.

There's no such thing as "young crotch rocket motorcyclists" in Florida.

If you believe that, then you are not into bikes. What you describe
are Harley riders. "Crotch rockets" are the Japanese bikes. Older
people don't ride rice burners.

Here's your typical Harley rider:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...4_NB7D3-XL.jpg

and he

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...3_LsG8H-XL.jpg

and here is one who not exactly decrepit:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...0_v5JRz-XL.jpg

and one you don't want your daughter dating:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...5_R7H5n-XL.jpg

The first two were taken at the Leesburg (FL) Bike Week, and the third
at Soponick's Cabbage Patch bar and the fourth at the Bar Out Back in
Sanford:

The *really* old motorcycle riders sit astride Honda Goldwings and the
rider and the passenger wear pastel color-coordinated jackets and
helmets and have matching Medic Alert bracelets.

Every last person I saw on a motorcycle in Florida looked to be well over
65 years old. I suspect that's where bikers go to die because they can ride
there year-round until they do. Funniest thing in the world is to see a
large group of bikers in the distance, you think it's a bunch of rugged
guys with their trophy-bitches on back. Then as they get near there's
nothing but gray and white beards and hair flying, or bald glinting in the
sun. Some with their canes strapped to the sides of their bikes (no lie). I
laughed the first few times I saw this, then it became just an ordinary
grin-worthy spectacle. More power to 'em, I guess! But I'd rather die on
some precarious mountain-pass before that age on a bike. Seeing that
spectacle is like seeing someone's great-grandmother trying to wear a thong
or string-bikini. There's just some things you shouldn't do out in public
after a certain age. Riding motorcycles and trying to look young and macho
is one of them. Then too they probably shouldn't even bother wearing
leathers. There's not a whole lot of difference between where their leather
vests end and their arms and necks start.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 17th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

OK, Tony, I hope this might have been targeted irony, as there was nary
a Harley in the bunch.

I don't usually take photographs of bikers *on* bikes. The bikes
themselves don't interest me. My interest is more to the character
shots of the people.

I do have one of a biker on a bike, though:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...0_PLik2-XL.jpg

When you stand back to get the bike in the frame, you lose the detail
of the person.

...but you certainly have some "color" in the FL elder community. ;-)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 17th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Peter[_7_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

I don't usually take photographs of bikers *on* bikes. The bikes
themselves don't interest me. My interest is more to the character
shots of the people.

I do have one of a biker on a bike, though:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...0_PLik2-XL.jpg

When you stand back to get the bike in the frame, you lose the detail
of the person.

You certainly caught his character, but you have to look hard. the biker
looks a little too dark and the bright chrome of the bike a tad too bright.

--
Peter

Old May 17th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:06:46 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

I don't usually take photographs of bikers *on* bikes. The bikes
themselves don't interest me. My interest is more to the character
shots of the people.

I do have one of a biker on a bike, though:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...0_PLik2-XL.jpg

When you stand back to get the bike in the frame, you lose the detail
of the person.

You certainly caught his character, but you have to look hard. the biker
looks a little too dark and the bright chrome of the bike a tad too bright.

One of the reasons I don't like photographing bikes is all that chrome
is hotspot hell. Chrome *is* bright.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 17th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
D.J.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 18:08:34 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

I doubt it. There are a lot of celebrity lesbians and I haven't heard of
any one of them actually giving birth. They always seem to acquire "their"
children by adoption.

And that has nothing to do with gay marriage causing a population decline.
(not sure that a decline would be a bad thing.)
A bigger and more important problem is that the more intelligent people
practice some form of birth control. Many of the less intelligent do not.

"Idiocracy" (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808

Based on the premise that intelligent people will curtail their breeding
activity to ensure a habitable future for humanity while the less
intelligent overbreed and take over the world while destroying their
environment. The ritual belief in majority vote creating the problem. The
majority being far less intelligent will only vote for those politicians
that mirror their less-intelligent beliefs.

Old May 17th 10, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Bill Graham

"Phil H Armonick" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

"Steve House" wrote in message

Similarly further expanding the law to
now include same sex couples is exactly the same process. Contrary
the desires of social conservatives to live in the never-existant
mythological land portrayed by Norman Rockwell, society evolves. We
can learn to recognize when traditional values perpetuate injustice
and can take steps to redefine the formal matrix of society in order
to correct them. Laws that include same-sex marriage on an equal
footing with opposite sex marriage in every respect reflect social
institutions evolving to be more inclusive and humane. Societies
that
do not continue to evolve, die out.

chuckle

"Die out," indeed. What do you suppose would happen to any society in
which all "marriages" were same-sex?

Are you saying that procreation can only occur in a marriage?

Hardly. Are you saying that illegitimacy would still be as much of a
problem in a completely homosexual society? How would that work,
exactly?
Parthenogenesis?

Did I ever say illegitimacy is a problem, in a procreational context?

You didn't. I acknowledged that it is.

Why do you think is it a problem, anyway?.

Nearly 40% of children born in the U.S. today are born out of wedlock.
Among
blacks, it's over 70%. If you don't see that as a problem you just aren't
paying attention.

I was simply pointing out that homosexual marriage will not, by itself,
decrease our population.

It would if it became a standard, as conventional marriage has been for
millennia. Do you really believe homosexuals who "marry" would then look
for
opposite-sex illicit sex partners just to keep the population up? How
noble
and patriotic of them if they did, but the likelihood is vanishingly
small.
Married people who look for sex outside of that institution are generally
just interested in the sex, not boosting the population, and homosexuals
for
the most part have little if any interest in the opposite sex.

There are many other ways do to that. Wars, disease, etc.

Wars usually do not depopulate countries in any meaningful sort of way.
Low
national birthrates do. In virtually all European countries today (I think
Greece is an exception, and perhaps Albania if you consider that European)
the birthrate is below subsistence level, i.e. too low to maintain the
population. It's a major reason for the continuing influx of
non-Europeans.

You're worried about population decrease on the planet? There were 5
billion people on the planet just 30 years ago. Today there's over 7
billion people and that rate is increasing exponentially. Every last
problem we face today is due to overpopulation of the earth. Homosexual
marriage will only help the survival of the species by bringing numbers
down that are more in balance with available natural resources. If not
then
nature will have to devise another way to reduce reproduction rates in
ignorant and selfishly overbreeding heterosexuals, by making heterosexuals
either sterile, or more preferably dead.

****, are you ever living in the 12th century. I bet you still light your
lamps with seal and whale oil.

Giving homosexuals the right to marry will have absolutely no effect on the
population....Some procreate through third party partners, and some adopt,
and many have no children at all. None of this will change in the least
should they have the right to marry.

Old May 17th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Neil Harrington[_4_]

"Peter" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

I doubt it. There are a lot of celebrity lesbians and I haven't heard of
any one of them actually giving birth. They always seem to acquire
"their" children by adoption.

And that has nothing to do with gay marriage causing a population decline.
(not sure that a decline would be a bad thing.)

Of course. Irrelevant to the quoted comment.

A bigger and more important problem is that the more intelligent people
practice some form of birth control. Many of the less intelligent do not.

Absolutely, that is the greater problem by far.

Old May 17th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Neil Harrington[_4_]

wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
. ..

I don't usually take photographs of bikers *on* bikes. The bikes
themselves don't interest me. My interest is more to the character
shots of the people.

I do have one of a biker on a bike, though:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photog...0_PLik2-XL.jpg

When you stand back to get the bike in the frame, you lose the detail
of the person.

You certainly caught his character, but you have to look hard. the biker
looks a little too dark and the bright chrome of the bike a tad too
bright.

One of the reasons I don't like photographing bikes is all that chrome
is hotspot hell. Chrome *is* bright.

Bikers love the stuff though, at least the hog (Harley) enthusiasts. Way
back in my motorcycle days, a hog-owning friend of mine boasted he had
"everything chromed but the tires." It was only a slight exaggeration.