Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy

Old July 27th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

Default Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy

"Peter" wrote in message
"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message
"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:46:32 -0700, "Mr. Strat"

wrote:
: In article
: ,
: RichA wrote:
:
: $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
: 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).
:
: If people would just avoid Sigma products, they'd be much better off.

And yet the Sigma lenses I own have performed very well. Is that
because I'm
one of the few people smart enough to know which are the good ones? Or
because
Sigma's QC problems have been greatly exaggerated by Sigma's
competitors and
their fanboys?

Tomorrow I will have the chance to play with any Sigma lenses I want to.
From what I saw today, they seem very well made. But, I will try a few.

--
Peter

Would this by chance have been at Sigma USA's location? If so, the next
time you go you must let me know. I work within a five-minute drive from
there.

I went to the annual NECCC conference at Amherst, MA. Sigma had a booth
with a bunch of their lenses on display, which participants could borrow
for a an hour or two. I tried, without success to convince the rep that
the 800 was much too heavy and I world be happy to carry it home for her.
I promised to return it in less than two years. Here I was being gallant
to a nice young lady and she would not accept my help.

Seriously, where are they located? It sound like a nice idea, especially
since I am semi retired.

--
Peter

LOL! Chivalry is dead.

Sigma USA is in Ronkonkoma right off of Vets Hwy.

Old July 27th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Peter" wrote in message
"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:46:32 -0700, "Mr. Strat"

wrote:
: In article
: ,
: RichA wrote:
:
: $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an
Olympus
: 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).
:
: If people would just avoid Sigma products, they'd be much better
off.

And yet the Sigma lenses I own have performed very well. Is that
because I'm
one of the few people smart enough to know which are the good ones? Or
because
Sigma's QC problems have been greatly exaggerated by Sigma's
competitors and
their fanboys?

Tomorrow I will have the chance to play with any Sigma lenses I want
to. From what I saw today, they seem very well made. But, I will try a
few.

--
[...]

Will they let visitors play with the lenses?

--
Peter

Old July 27th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Peter" wrote in message
"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:46:32 -0700, "Mr. Strat"

wrote:
: In article
:
,
: RichA wrote:
:
[...]

Yes they will.

Old July 28th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Peter" wrote in message
"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:46:32 -0700, "Mr. Strat"

wrote:
: In article
:
,
: RichA wrote:
:
[...]

Sound like a plan. I may shoot for Thursday. If you contact me offline I'll
give you my cell.

--
Peter