How to use color profile from photolab??

Old February 4th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default How to use color profile from photolab??

hi
this are my first photos which i send to photolab to print it. and
after recived i am supriced becouse color are difrent. My monitor is
allrigth after calibraiting. I have setup with Adobe RGB profile in my
camera 10D and in photoshop.

should i use color profil from photolab or some other??
what are you thinking about this photos:

http://www.photo.3style.tv/test/

should i made some more editing in photoshop? how make the best results
for photolab printing??

many thanks

Pablo

Old February 4th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Unless you work closely with a third party printer all your calibration is,
sadly, for naught.
The best a distant and reliable third party printer can do is arbitrarily
find a neutral gray in the image (or some analagous landmark) as a reference
point for their own color managed printing system.
If your printing service does not even bother to do that you need a new
printing service.
Better: learn to print your own using color management.

Old February 4th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pablo 3style wrote:

hi
this are my first photos which i send to photolab to print it. and
after recived i am supriced becouse color are difrent. My monitor is
allrigth after calibraiting. I have setup with Adobe RGB profile in my
camera 10D and in photoshop.

should i use color profil from photolab or some other??
what are you thinking about this photos:

http://www.photo.3style.tv/test/

should i made some more editing in photoshop? how make the best results
for photolab printing??

You will have to ask the lab. It's likely that they can't handle Adobe
RGB and/or they are allowing further automatic adjustments.
Old February 4th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pablo,

Adobe RGB and sRGB (the "Default") are what are termed "device dependant"
profiles - the results you get depend on the device that generate them (as
opposed to CIE LAB which is device independant). Perhaps a good analogy
would be with map directions that say "take 20 paces to the north, then 45
paces east - then start digging" - where you end up depends totally on how
long your paces are. Same with RGB - it defines how much R G and B to
use, but doesn't define just what shade the Reds, Greens, and Blues are.
Correct colour management attaches profiles to your RGB data that
effectively says "when the map maker took a pace it was 3 feet long - so if
your pace is longer then it knows to tell you to take less paces".

In your case it's most likely that you're feeding the lab Adobe RGB, but
they're treating it as sRGB - which means that everything will look a LOT
darker. If that's not the case, then we've definately got a more serious
colour management issue. Try sending them a small sample in sRGB - also
check with them as to what colourspaces they can handle. See also if they
can hadle a file that's in LAB colour - if they can, and it's still wrong
then you've most likely still got a monitor calibration issue.

You said that your monitor has been calibrated - was this with a
Colorimeter, or just using AdobeGamma?

Cheers,

Colin

PS: If you're keen, pick up a copy of "Real World Color Management" 2nd
Edition - it's the current definitive text on the subject.

Old February 4th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pablo 3style wrote:

should i use color profil from photolab or some other??

It depends on the lab. Many don't handle color profiles at all, so you
must convert to sRGB to send the pictures to them. You need to find out
how the particular lab works.

--
Jeremy |
Old February 5th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

hi all
thanks for all answers - they help me !!
after calls to lab and asking - they told me that i should use kolor
profile for Kodak endura paper.
I've got this profile from internet and i try to use it with next
photos.

i was reading a lot about color profile and i think i know a liitle
more )

many thanks !!!

and mayby - what are you thinking about my photos? are they technical
corect???

thanks

Pablo

Old February 5th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pablo 3style wrote:

hi
this are my first photos which i send to photolab to print it. and
after recived i am supriced becouse color are difrent. My monitor is
allrigth after calibraiting. I have setup with Adobe RGB profile in my
camera 10D and in photoshop.

should i use color profil from photolab or some other??

The color profile they send you is for -soft proofing- the image in
photoshop. My guess about the problem is they are expecting the file in
sRGB and their software doesn't do a conversion from aRGB to sRGB if you
send them aRGB files.

DON'T convert the file to their printer profile before you send it to them!
That isn't what the profile is for. 99% of their customers don't know what
a profile is, don't own photoshop and use an sRGB P&S that doesn't tag the
files, that's what they expect. You threw them a curve ball with the aRGB
files. You can use their profile to soft proof and mainly to look for out
of gamut colors in your files and correct them before you send the sRGB
file.

what are you thinking about this photos:

http://www.photo.3style.tv/test/

Cool shots.
--

Stacey
Old February 5th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Pablo 3style" wrote in message
oups.com...

after calls to lab and asking - they told me that i should use kolor
profile for Kodak endura paper.

I've got this profile from internet and i try to use it with next
photos.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

Old February 5th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Pablo 3style wrote:

after calls to lab and asking - they told me that i should use kolor
profile for Kodak endura paper.
I've got this profile from internet and i try to use it with next
photos.

No... that's not how that works. An output profile would be used for
soft-proofing, where you can preview on your screen what the printed
output will look like. You don't convert to the output profile. The
thing you need to know is how they handle color profiles in files you
send them; my bet is that they assume sRGB and don't handle other
profiles at all, because if they answered your question by pointing
you to the paper output profile, it doesn't sound like they have much
knowledge of a color-managed workflow.

So you should probably convert your files to sRGB before sending them.

--
Jeremy |
Old February 5th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

The color profile they send you is for -soft proofing- the image in
photoshop. My guess about the problem is they are expecting the file in
sRGB and their software doesn't do a conversion from aRGB to sRGB if you
send them aRGB files.

thanks
thise profile which i found on lab web site is profile for kodak endura
papar
know i understand that is only for preview.

You threw them a curve ball with the aRGB
files. You can use their profile to soft proof and mainly to look for out
of gamut colors in your files and correct them before you send the sRGB
file.

but if i using AdobeRGB profil on my 10D - can i send him in aRGB? or
always i should convert to sRGB??