WINTER PANOS LOVE THE 20D!

Old December 14th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default WINTER PANOS LOVE THE 20D!

The rains lifted this morning and the day turned out like anything but
a normal Winter day.
Temps in the 60's ... bright sunshine. Is this December?
The leaves have lost their fall colors, but I made a little pano
anyway, this time with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm renting this
lens for a week for a second time in order to compare it with my 28-135
IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2 cents difference between them, let
alone $600.
More tests to follow.

Here's todays pano:

Old December 14th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
default

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
The rains lifted this morning and the day turned out like anything but
a normal Winter day.
Temps in the 60's ... bright sunshine. Is this December?
The leaves have lost their fall colors, but I made a little pano
anyway, this time with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm renting this
lens for a week for a second time in order to compare it with my 28-135
IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2 cents difference between them, let
alone $600.
More tests to follow.

Here's todays pano:

Your lucky your weather is nice there. Mostly here it is too rainy to take
outdoor pictures these days.

I love my 28-135IS. It's a fantastic lens (at least for me!).

It's a great picture, but the point of panos is to go _BIG_, like at least
10000 pixels wide, not reduced to look like a crop from a wide-angle. The
fun is zooming way in and back out, enjoying the amazing coverage, detail
and depth of field, panning across at 1:1 imagining the huge print that
would show it all even though I can only see 1600x1200 pixels at a time at
101 pixels per inch.

I'd love to see this one done big, like really big.

Old December 14th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:
The rains lifted this morning and the day turned out like anything but
a normal Winter day.
Temps in the 60's ... bright sunshine. Is this December?
The leaves have lost their fall colors, but I made a little pano
anyway, this time with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm renting this
lens for a week for a second time in order to compare it with my 28-135
IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2 cents difference between them, let
alone $600.
More tests to follow.

Here's todays pano:

That's a very interesting test, considering the $600. difference. I
notice the 24-105 is the "L" series. Does the 28-135 IS have the same?
I think this is Canon's patented "L" glass coating. A very
interesting comparison, Bret. Thank you very much for taking the time
to test them out. Looking forward to more comparisons.
BTW, we're having a mild December as well......SO FAR! Weather-man
says it's the El nino effect.
Helen

Old December 14th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AnOvercomer 02

Annika1980) wrote:
I made a little pano anyway, this time
with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm
renting this lens for a week for a second
time in order to compare it with my
28-135 IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2
cents difference between them, let
alone $600.

From what I've seen on the web, the biggest differences are at the wide
end. Below is an intersting review and comparison.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/24vs28.shtml

I think I would prefer the 24-70 f2.8L myself, from what I've read it
compares well against primes and is optically better than the 24-105 f4L
IS.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/28-105.shtml

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old December 14th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

AnOvercomer 02 wrote:
Annika1980) wrote:
I made a little pano anyway, this time
with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm
renting this lens for a week for a second
time in order to compare it with my
28-135 IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2
cents difference between them, let
alone $600.

From what I've seen on the web, the biggest differences are at the
wide end. Below is an intersting review and comparison.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/24vs28.shtml

I think I would prefer the 24-70 f2.8L myself

Wanna buy mine?? I've got a 24-70 2.8 L that is essentially new...though I
bought it in '05.
Yes...it is optically superior to the 24-105, but I find the 24-105 a much
more convenient lens on a FF for all-around use. When I bought it, I was
using my 10D...but with the 5D, 70 feels too short.
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 14th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
I think I would prefer the 24-70 f2.8L myself

Wanna buy mine?? I've got a 24-70 2.8 L that is essentially new...though I
bought it in '05.

Christmas is coming up ...the Season for giving.
You still got my address?

Old December 14th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Annika1980 wrote:
MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
I think I would prefer the 24-70 f2.8L myself

Wanna buy mine?? I've got a 24-70 2.8 L that is essentially
new...though I bought it in '05.

Christmas is coming up ...the Season for giving.
You still got my address?

OK.
You "give" me $950, and I'll "give" you the lens.
(Actually, that ain't a bad price!)
Merry Christmas!

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
Christmas is coming up ...the Season for giving.
You still got my address?

OK.
You "give" me $950, and I'll "give" you the lens.
(Actually, that ain't a bad price!)
Merry Christmas!

$950?
Now I see why you still have the lens.

Scrooge!

Old December 14th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

AnOvercomer 02 wrote:
Annika1980) wrote:
I made a little pano anyway, this time
with the 20D and the 24-105 f/4L. I'm
renting this lens for a week for a second
time in order to compare it with my
28-135 IS. Optically, I've yet to see 2
cents difference between them, let
alone $600.

From what I've seen on the web, the biggest differences are at the
wide end. Below is an intersting review and comparison.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/24vs28.shtml

I think I would prefer the 24-70 f2.8L myself, from what I've read
it
compares well against primes and is optically better than the 24-105
f4L IS.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/28-105.shtml

Here's one made of three or four 24mm frames with the 24-70mm F2.8L on
a 20D:
http://www.fototime.com/00112363F631197/orig.jpg

Swiveled at the hip, took about six seconds, let PS CS automatedly
stick them together, took a little longer.

And, it's published in a book! (_Paramount Ranch Remembered_, by Art
Evans. After removal of one ghost)

--
Frank ess

Old December 14th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Frank ess wrote:
Here's one made of three or four 24mm frames with the 24-70mm F2.8L

on
a 20D:
http://www.fototime.com/00112363F631197/orig.jpg

Swiveled at the hip, took about six seconds, let PS CS automatedly
stick them together, took a little longer.

And, it's published in a book! (_Paramount Ranch Remembered_, by Art
Evans. After removal of one ghost)

If you were to stitch that with PTGui the images would be much better
blended, there
is a free demo copy you can try it might be worth giving it a go and
see what you think.

Scott