Worth it to repair Canon AE-1? (broken "linkage")

Old October 30th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MJL Photo

Default Worth it to repair Canon AE-1? (broken "linkage")

Seems my "linkage" is broken on my AE-1.
Everytime I advance the film winder it takes a shot. (film does advance, but
shutter does not remain cocked).

Is it worth repairing, or just buy another?
(This current one has a broken battery door and mirror foam is also
deteriorating, though shutter speeds are very good.)

Vancouver Canada,
-ML

Old October 31st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

On 2006-10-30 23:29:41 +0000, "MJL Photo" said:

Seems my "linkage" is broken on my AE-1.
Everytime I advance the film winder it takes a shot. (film does
advance, but shutter does not remain cocked).

Is it worth repairing, or just buy another?
(This current one has a broken battery door and mirror foam is also
deteriorating, though shutter speeds are very good.)

Vancouver Canada,
-ML

Personally I'd replace it; eBay has some great equipment available (I
recently got a T90 and 85mm f/1.8 lens for a pittance and just missed
an AE-1 for about £30 - I only wanted it for the lens.)

If you can find a really good repairer it'd cost more than that to take
it apart and discover which unavailable parts it needs. It's a shame I
know, keeping an AE-1 alive would be so much better, but not really
practical.

--
invalid = com

Old October 31st 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"MJL Photo" wrote:

Seems my "linkage" is broken on my AE-1.
Everytime I advance the film winder it takes a shot. (film does advance, but
shutter does not remain cocked).

Is it worth repairing, or just buy another?
(This current one has a broken battery door and mirror foam is also
deteriorating, though shutter speeds are very good.)

Just buy another, but try to get one that has been serviced in the
last five years. It will cost more to service a used AE-1 than it
will cost to buy a replacement.

Any camera of that era is likely to need the mirror foam and felt
light traps replaced, so try to find one where the owner has already
had this work done.