Canon EF 100-400mm L Lens

Old July 8th 05, 07:29 PM
Thumper the cat

Default Canon EF 100-400mm L Lens

Could anyone tell me if this lens is a plastic mount or if it is a
steel mount. I have a feeling that one of the eastern stores (NY) is
selling me a bill of goods and attempting to boost the price...

Larry

Old July 8th 05, 08:10 PM
John_B

Metal mount, its a very strong lens.
It has to be its big and heavy too but
takes great pictures.

"Thumper the cat"
wrote in
message
4ax.com...

Old July 9th 05, 02:20 AM
Colic

"Thumper the cat" wrote in message
Could anyone tell me if this lens is a plastic mount or if it is a
steel mount. I have a feeling that one of the eastern stores (NY) is
selling me a bill of goods and attempting to boost the price...

Working on the assumption that you are talking about
the Canon made 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS here. It is
an outstanding lens.

There is only one version of this lens, and it is a metal
mount. All L lenses are metal mount. All L lenses have
exceptional build quality. A regular price for this lens
is in the $1400 USD range, plus or minus a bit.

The lens is a push-pull design, and some people do
not like that kind of thing, but I think it works very
well on a lens of this size. Without it it would not
be possible to zoom and focus at the same time. It
also makes it possible to zoom or focus while keeping
your hand directly under the lens, providing the best
possible stability.

C!

Old July 9th 05, 02:43 AM
Skip M

"Thumper the cat" wrote in message
Could anyone tell me if this lens is a plastic mount or if it is a
steel mount. I have a feeling that one of the eastern stores (NY) is
selling me a bill of goods and attempting to boost the price...

Larry

Trust me, it has a steel mount, that "plastic mount" garbage is classic bait
and switch...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 9th 05, 05:59 AM
Richard Stark

Steel Mount
Nice lens, bit heavy for what I shoot but it worked nicely at the Indy 500
JS

Old July 9th 05, 03:57 PM
Thumper the cat

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:43:08 -0700, "Skip M"
wrote:

"Thumper the cat" wrote in message
.. .
Could anyone tell me if this lens is a plastic mount or if it is a
steel mount. I have a feeling that one of the eastern stores (NY) is
selling me a bill of goods and attempting to boost the price...

Larry

Trust me, it has a steel mount, that "plastic mount" garbage is classic bait
and switch...

I also received a reply from Canon saying that this lens is only
available in a metal mount. So this is not "bait and switch" its just
outright fraud ! Two different places tried this number on me. One of
them quoted a $120, premium for the metal mount which would have made
their price pretty much on a par with most of the dealers; B & H etc.
And both of these dealers show up on any of the price comparisons
through Google. Anyone want thei names just say so...

Thumper

Old July 9th 05, 09:54 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Thumper the cat me wrote:

I also received a reply from Canon saying that this lens is only
available in a metal mount. So this is not "bait and switch" its just
outright fraud ! Two different places tried this number on me. One of
them quoted a $120, premium for the metal mount which would have made
their price pretty much on a par with most of the dealers; B & H etc.
And both of these dealers show up on any of the price comparisons
through Google. Anyone want thei names just say so...

Save yourself future grief. I give you the First Rule Of Buying Camera
Stuff: Get it at B&H. Period.

--
Jeremy |