Velvia indoors?

Old December 10th 04, 02:25 AM
Celeste G

Default Velvia indoors?

Hello,
I am primarily an outdoor nature photographer. I love the pop that Velvia 50
gives my work.

Recently I was asked to photograph the inside of our church. I used
Velvia...not my favorite 50...but Velvia 100 thinking that indoor
photography would need a little faster film.

All the walls of the church are cream color but the slides show them all as
being orange/yellow...... not a bad look but certainly not what I had in
mind for this project.

Please advise....What film would give true colors, indoors, no flash,
electric lights?? I have a few weeks before the project is due for
presentation.

Thanks
Celeste

Old December 10th 04, 02:47 AM
Nick Zentena

Celeste G wrote:
Hello,
I am primarily an outdoor nature photographer. I love the pop that Velvia 50
gives my work.

Recently I was asked to photograph the inside of our church. I used
Velvia...not my favorite 50...but Velvia 100 thinking that indoor
photography would need a little faster film.

All the walls of the church are cream color but the slides show them all as
being orange/yellow...... not a bad look but certainly not what I had in
mind for this project.

Please advise....What film would give true colors, indoors, no flash,
electric lights?? I have a few weeks before the project is due for

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What kind of lights? No sunlight at all? Depending on the lights you might
get away with tungsten film. Or you might need to filter to correct for the
lights. The orange/yellow you got was actually the real colour. Human eyes
tend to adjust.

Nick

Old December 11th 04, 03:39 AM
Andy Davidson

[Celeste G wrote in rec.photo.film+labs]
All the walls of the church are cream color but the slides show them all as
being orange/yellow...... not a bad look but certainly not what I had in
mind for this project.

Sounds more like the lighting in the church is casting a colour across
your images. A cooling-filter (80A, possibly 80B) will help if you want
to use Velvia for your images.

Churches (speaking from a UK perspective) make a wonderful subject -
especially if the building has a beautiful and colourful stained-glass
window. If it does, shoot the window on a brilliant bright day and let
the high-saturation of Velvia fill the frame with as much colour and
saturation as you could ever want.

--
http://fotoserve.com/ - Prints, Slides, Posters, Mugs, T-shirts,,
Calendars, Jigsaws, Tableware, Caricatures, Greetings cards, Picture

Old December 13th 04, 03:33 PM
Mike King

Rather than use a filter my first choice would be either:

Fujifilm RTP-II 135-36 Fujichrome 64T Professional Tungsten Color Slide Film
(ISO-64) if you can find it (B&H is currently out of stock).

Or Kodak EPJ 135-36 Ektachrome 320T Tungsten Professional Color Slide Film
(ISO-320) four+ times as fast.

Note that color balance will only be approximate with either Tungsten film
or a filter, unless you know the actual color temperature of the lights in
the chapel, but that tungsten film/filtration will probably bring you
closer.

--
darkroommike

Old December 13th 04, 03:33 PM
Mike King

[...]

Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 09:58 AM
Velvia 100 compensation Charles Pezeshki Large Format Photography Equipment 14 August 26th 04 08:23 PM
Velvia 100F dan Film & Labs 2 June 29th 04 09:47 PM
velvia 100F [question] dan 35mm Photo Equipment 6 June 28th 04 03:46 AM
5 Megapixels vs Velvia vs Kodachrome + Microscope Views Roger and Cathy Musgrove Film & Labs 0 October 12th 03 02:16 AM