Monitors--What to look for

Old November 3rd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
stan

Default Monitors--What to look for

Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

Old November 3rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"stan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

LCD or CRT?

Old November 4th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Hap Shaughnessy

On 3 Nov 2006 12:04:03 -0800, "stan"
wrote:

Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

For an LCD I insist on 8-bit per RGB channel [24-bit RGB] NOT 6-bit
like many monitors on the market when I bought an ACER AL1951 19" on
specs only—ordered one in. Love it.

The top end LG monitors I was considering at the time were all 6-bit
as was Sony and Samsung. Maybe things have improved. I no longer
check.

6-bit LCD monitors use dithering to get 24-bit RGB.

How to tell?

16.2 million colours = 6-bit

16.7 million colours = 8-bit

example:

http://ca.lge.com/en/index.do

LG LCD Monitors
Model : L1718S
Display Colours :16.2M Colours

---

http://global.acer.com/products/monitor/lcd.htm

ACER LCD Monitors
Model: AL1952
Colour support: 24-bit (16.7 million colours) ... [it took a google
search to find that @ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ ]

---end

Hap
Old November 5th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Smith

stan wrote:

Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

The first thing I look for is to make sure it's a CRT. LCDs are nice for
most purposes, but for color reproduction, they've got an annoying tendancy
to mess up the color if you're not sitting in exactly the right spot.
After that, I look for things like low weight (if it's over about 75
pounds, I can't lift it onto my desk by myself), high dpi, and a reputation
for quality. It used to be that you could go into a computer store and
check out the monitors in person, but these days, the only way to buy a CRT
is online.

--
John
Old November 5th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raphael Bustin

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:19:04 -0800, John Smith
wrote:

stan wrote:

Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

The first thing I look for is to make sure it's a CRT. LCDs are nice for
most purposes, but for color reproduction, they've got an annoying tendancy
to mess up the color if you're not sitting in exactly the right spot.
After that, I look for things like low weight (if it's over about 75
pounds, I can't lift it onto my desk by myself), high dpi, and a reputation
for quality. It used to be that you could go into a computer store and
check out the monitors in person, but these days, the only way to buy a CRT
is online.

I'd say there's a good deal of misinformation here,
but no matter. Good luck finding a pro-grade CRT.
Sony stopped making the "Artisan" series a couple
of years ago. CRT production is in serious decline,
and there's no R&D going into it whatsover. The
flip side is that LCD/TFT technology is emergent
and getting cheaper (and better) by the day.

BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
and when something goes wrong, it's a major
pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
monitor.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 5th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 23:03:32 -0500, Raphael Bustin
wrote:

BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
and when something goes wrong, it's a major
pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
monitor.

I don't see how this is any different when you buy it locally - you
just use the packaging and box the monitor came in. The main
difference with mail order is that you call and get an RMA, and then
call UPS for pickup - you don't have to schlep the box back down to
the store.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old November 5th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raphael Bustin

wrote:

BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
and when something goes wrong, it's a major
pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
monitor.

I don't see how this is any different when you buy it locally - you
just use the packaging and box the monitor came in. The main
difference with mail order is that you call and get an RMA, and then
call UPS for pickup - you don't have to schlep the box back down to
the store.

I was seriously disappointed, a couple years back, with a
Viewsonic p95F (19") monitor that I bought on the 'net.

I went through two attempts to return the unit for a better
one and finally gave up. It was a major chore re-packaging
it, hauling it into and out of the car, and schlepping it to and
from the UPS depot. The thing weighed around 50 lbs and
the box was huge.

These days I use a 21" LCD that's about 1/4 the weight.
I don't miss the CRT at all.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 5th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:45:47 -0500, Raphael Bustin
wrote:

It was a major chore re-packaging
it, hauling it into and out of the car, and schlepping it to and
from the UPS depot. The thing weighed around 50 lbs and
the box was huge.

Call UPS and schedule a *pick-up* and have them do the schlepping.