Fighting Canon i9900 printer

Old January 31st 05, 05:11 AM
Stacey

Default Fighting Canon i9900 printer

Been fighting with trying to get decent color balance with this thing. I've
been using an 8200 for years using "auto" with no corrections in the driver
and using the "printer color management" setting in PS, it has always
looked just like the screen. Nice skin tones from in camera images on 2
different cameras etc. These same files print nice at the lab using no
corrections. They might need a tweak now and then to be "perfect" but it's
always pretty close to good first shot.

With this new printer, every print has a =strong= magenta cast. Not a
"tweak" but a really strong one. I tried different ICM files inside PS
turning off the ICM in the printer driver exactly like the canon ICM PDF
file explains to do if not using auto, same thing as using auto. Tried ICM
files from Ilford (even though I'm not using their paper) and got a
slightly different version of this same cast so it IS reading the ICM file
I tell it to use. If I manually set the printer driver to -30 mageneta
turning off ICM in the driver and setting the canon ICM in PS, it's getting
close but seems odd a printer would be this far off out of the box. I'm
using canon paper and ink, have the driver set to use this specific paper
etc. I can't believe they all are like this.

The other thing that seems odd, if I do a "soft proof" with the ICM file for
my old 8200, it doesn't change the image much at all. If I do it with this
new printer, it drastically changes it. Is that normal? If this is the
case, am I going to have to manually color balance every shot using this
soft proof? If so, this things going back and I'll wait for the new epson
2200 replacement.
--

Stacey
Old January 31st 05, 07:03 AM
Deciple of EOS

Stacey wrote:
[...]

----------------
This is not the forum for this sort of problem but now you are here...
Whenever you get a magenta cast in any output to a printer from
Photoshop or Photopaint it is because you are managing colour twice.

Turn off colour management under Photoshop altogether and see if the
same thing happens. I'm betting it won't. Try using one of the Photoshop
groups for more precise information.

--
EOS my GOD,
Give me ISO for I have not yet seen the light.
Old January 31st 05, 07:54 AM
Stacey

Deciple of EOS wrote:

This is not the forum for this sort of problem but now you are here...

Sorry where is a place to ask this? I tried a couple of printer forums and
got similar responces, I have already tried to make &^* sure I wasn't
managing color twice. Isn't using "printer color managment" as the print
space turning it off in PS? The source is sRGB space, are you saying I
should set the printer color space to same as document?

Whenever you get a magenta cast in any output to a printer from
Photoshop or Photopaint it is because you are managing colour twice.

Hmm I've used these exact same setting ("use printer management" and then
"auto" in the printer driver) with my canon 8200 and it prints fine. I then
tried setiing in PS the printer ICM as the printer source and then turned
off ICM and told it "none" for a profile like canon's instructions said to
do in the printer driver which is supposed to turn off color management in
the printer driver and got the exact same output. Frustrating...

Turn off colour management under Photoshop altogether and see if the
same thing happens. I'm betting it won't.

I'll give that a shot but I thought I'm already doing that by setting the
printer source as "printer color management"? I guess I can try setting the
print space as "same as source" and see what happens..

--

Stacey
Old January 31st 05, 08:13 AM
Stacey

Stacey wrote:

Turn off colour management under Photoshop altogether and see if the
same thing happens. I'm betting it won't.

I'll give that a shot but I thought I'm already doing that by setting the
printer source as "printer color management"? I guess I can try setting
the print space as "same as source" and see what happens..

Just tried it which should be sending it without touching anything about the
image and it looks exactly the same..

--

Stacey
Old January 31st 05, 09:04 AM
efr

I had the "magenta" problem: I had one cartridge misplaced.
Check the canon web site tech support: when I reported my problem, the first
or second question they asked was about the order of the cartridges and my
problem was fixed in less than 1 minute.
I am extremely happy with my printer

Old January 31st 05, 09:28 AM

Efr beat me to it. Check your cartridges, and make sure they are in
order and correct, like not having a second magenta in the *photo*
magenta slot..

After that I would uninstall PS (and all of its setting files)
completely, and the printer driver. Then re-install and make sure
nothing is color managing, and try it in that mode before doing
anything.

I have the 9100, and it was remarkably accurate out-of-the-box.
Because I like to print from many different programs, I don't use PS
color management at all.

Old January 31st 05, 06:54 PM
Markeau

"Stacey" wrote in message
Just double checked and they are all in the right slots. Also seems
weird
all the other inks are almost full except the photo magenta/cyan
which are
3/4 empty? I'm guessing the cyan is so low from trying to balance
the "too
much magenta" thing?

The PC and PM are the first to go, and they go fast.

After that I would uninstall PS (and all of its setting files)
completely, and the printer driver. Then re-install and make sure
nothing is color managing, and try it in that mode before doing
anything.

I haven't tried printing from other software, I'll try that tonight.
I've
already wasted a TON of paper trying to get this dialed in. :-(

Try printing with the Canon software that came with the printer.
Also read over on the Printers forum at
http://forums.dpreview.com
.... as there are others that have had similar problems.

At first my i9900 also had a magenta cast on all canon papers except
matte which had a yellow cast. After reading that canon icc pdf and
turning everything off in the printer driver and only selecting the
paper profile in PS CS everything works fine now. I have heard the
also doing the print preview in the canon printer driver for some
reason causes color problems for some, so I always leave that option
disabled.

Old January 31st 05, 06:57 PM
Markeau

never mind, i see you've already posted on dpreview
Old January 31st 05, 09:13 PM
Ben Thomas

Stacey wrote:
Been fighting with trying to get decent color balance with this thing. I've
been using an 8200 for years using "auto" with no corrections in the driver
and using the "printer color management" setting in PS, it has always
looked just like the screen. Nice skin tones from in camera images on 2
different cameras etc. These same files print nice at the lab using no
corrections. They might need a tweak now and then to be "perfect" but it's
always pretty close to good first shot.

Don't use ICM in PS AND in the printer driver. In PS use sRGB as source and
Printer Colour Management for output.

Don't check the ICM box in the printer driver.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.