What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

Old August 21st 12, 06:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Gernot Hassenpflug

Default What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

"J.G." writes:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:08:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Yeah, when I was working I went thru several color laser printers with
the idea they would be able to do color photos better then the
"expensive" inkjet process.

I'm slowly coming to the following hard-won realization,
much to my chagrin, regarding printing color photos at home:

0. B&W laser writers (such as my HP 3200m) are trivial & cheap to refill
1. Most color laser writers are also trivial & cheap to refill.
2. However, color laser writers stink at printing pictures at home!

Given that, we are FORCED to look at ink-based printers:
0. IMHO, all ink-based printers from HP are to be avoided at all costs!
1. Kodak/Canon/Dell ink-based printers 'may' be a viable alternative.
2. The key is to buy the printer based on the ease of "replacing" the ink!

Drat! Color lasers, which are the subject of this task, are slowly
dropping off the radar screen ... and the dreaded ink-based printers
are rising up, again.

Why is finding a decent printer to print photos at home at a decent
price such a miserable process?

Why is Epson not recommended in the US (I assume most posters here are
in the US)? Epson is great for photos, although as I concentrate on
linux Canon driver development I only use Epson as a backup. I buy 3rd
party inks for my Epson, haven't tried refilling it. I'm not aware of
any problems with the ink cartridges, but maybe there are, which is
why Epson is not being discussed here?
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old August 21st 12, 07:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-20 22:07:52 -0700, Gernot Hassenpflug
said:

"J.G." writes:

[...]

Nobody has said anything about Epson not being recommended for photo
printing. There are many of us using Epson printers and are quite happy
with them, actually, very happy.
I believe there are some R3880, R3000, and some of the more exotic
Epson users here. I am using an R2880.
I also have a disappointing Canon i9900 which has never given me
results anywhere close to those my R2880 gives me.

I think the issue the OP has, is a particular one with HP and color
laser printers and the manner in which HP chips its toner cartridges. I
believe he wants a color laser printer which will give him adequate
results for photographs, as he rightly feels that the cost of inks for
photo quality ink jet printers is excessive. The bottom line is, there
is no free, or low budget ride, when it comes to producing quality
photo prints at home, or anywhere else for that matter.

Savageduck

Old September 15th 12, 11:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital
Bernard[_3_]

Le Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:07:52 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug a écritÂ*:

"J.G." writes:

[...]

I don't have an Epson printer at home, but I have seen Epson printed
photos and HP printed conterparts. I mostly noticed that Epson colours
seem to fade a lot faster than HP's. True enough, the fading of HP
prints, although slow, is an awful lot faster than that of old photos
that were chemically treated !