software for viewing/editing photos

Old October 5th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
anoop

Default software for viewing/editing photos

I was using Ofoto (a very old version) and really liked it for
a couple of reasons:
- I didn't have to import phones into it (unlike for example
Google's Picasa) in order to view/edit photos.
- I could point it at any directory and it would set up
thumbnails of the all the photos in that directory on the fly.
- I could use it to upload pictures to the Ofoto website
and order prints from there.

That was with my old computer, and it looks like the
new software from Kodak (which acquired ofoto) doesn't
keep things as simple anymore. I don't have a way to
get the old software running on my new computer.

So, I'm looking for recommendations. What do you
guys use for viewing/editing photos on the computer?
I would prefer something that's free.

Anoop

Old October 5th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Irfanview go to http://www.irfanview.com/
Old October 5th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

You can find the most recent OfotoNow software (v3.0) for download.
KodakGallery.com offers it still, for free. Look on the "Help" page,
and scroll to "Uploading Photos." I just downloaded and installed it on
a new laptop. It's a very simple, speedy program with far fewer bugs
than (ahem!) EasyShare 6.0.

-Dave

Old October 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
imagejunkie

You may want to take a look at FastStone image browser at:
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm It's a free, easy to use image
viewer with basic editing tools (rotate, crop, sharpen, adjust brightness
and contrast, etc.) It also has a built-in slide show function and a great
feature for easy emailing of photos. And it's free with no nags or
limitations.

Old October 5th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

imagejunkie wrote:
You may want to take a look at FastStone image browser at:
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm It's a free, easy to use image
viewer with basic editing tools (rotate, crop, sharpen, adjust brightness
and contrast, etc.) It also has a built-in slide show function and a great
feature for easy emailing of photos. And it's free with no nags or
limitations.

I agree. I use it for routine adjustments and cropping and only rarely
need to use a real photo editor (PhotoPlus in my case).

I still find Irfanview useful and the best for batch processing and
quick viewing of images.
Dave Cohen
Old October 5th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
anoop

imagejunkie wrote:
You may want to take a look at FastStone image browser at:
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm It's a free, easy to use image
viewer with basic editing tools (rotate, crop, sharpen, adjust brightness
and contrast, etc.) It also has a built-in slide show function and a great
feature for easy emailing of photos. And it's free with no nags or
limitations.

This looks pretty good. I think I'll give this a shot.

I intsalled the new Kodak EasyShare and that was a real
pain - it actually required a reboot at the end of installation.
I uninstalled it right away.

Next, I tried yorkphoto which also wanted me to create
a special directory where I put all of my pictures, so I
uninstalled that. I wanted something where I bring up
the tool and manually point it to a directory and it
shows me the pictures and lets me edit them if I so
desire. FastStone looks like it might do just that.

Anoop

Old October 5th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Meyer

So, I'm looking for recommendations. What do you
guys use for viewing/editing photos on the computer?
I would prefer something that's free.

As others have said, Irfanview and Faststone are both
excellent viewers with limited editing capability.

If you want a free, full blown, dead serious photo
editor, the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
is outstanding. It's poor as a viewer but excellent for
complex editing tasks.

It runs under Windows, Linux, UNIX, and I think the
Mac. It's updated regularly (free of course) and well
supported with its own Internet newsgroup,
comp.apps.graphics.gimp.

Alan

Old October 5th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Monkee

"anoop" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was using Ofoto (a very old version) and really liked it for
a couple of reasons:
- I didn't have to import phones into it (unlike for example
Google's Picasa) in order to view/edit photos.

You don't have to use the import feature

- I could point it at any directory and it would set up
thumbnails of the all the photos in that directory on the fly.

Picasa allows you to do this easily

- I could use it to upload pictures to the Ofoto website
and order prints from there.

Picasa allows a similar functionality, but any decent photo processing site
has very simple upload programs anyway.

Of course there are many other solutions, but just wanted to point out that
Picasa allows you to do the things you thought it didn't.

Old October 6th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nathan Gibney

For viewing, you could always try Adobe Lightroom Beta, but it won't be
free forever. Irfanview is an excellent choice if you just want
something simple with no organization features.
I highly recommend Photoshop CS2 for editing, but if you can't afford
that get the Gimp, which is totally free.

Old October 6th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave

So, I'm looking for recommendations. What do you
guys use for viewing/editing photos on the computer?
I would prefer something that's free.

Anoop

I use a combination of Irfanview(for browsing and deleting shots off the
memory card),Picasa for quick organizing,and Gimp for editing.(I love
freeware).I did just pick up a copy of Paint Shop Pro X for $10 after
rebates so I'm adding that too.

Dave
--
"...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the