Photo printer

Old March 18th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Photo printer

I need a decent photo printer to make 8 x 10's of my scanned color slides. I
was looking at printers like the Epson 2200, which is a $600 machine, but I
am frankly very tempted to try a cheaper machine like the Canon IP-4200 (
http://www.shop.com/op/~Canon_Pixma_...3?sourceid=298 )

At $100, It may be worth a try.....
Can anyone out there give me any pointers/insights as to what I should do?

Old March 18th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:
I need a decent photo printer to make 8 x 10's of my scanned color slides. I
was looking at printers like the Epson 2200, which is a $600 machine, but I
am frankly very tempted to try a cheaper machine like the Canon IP-4200 (
http://www.shop.com/op/~Canon_Pixma_...3?sourceid=298 )

At $100, It may be worth a try.....
Can anyone out there give me any pointers/insights as to what I should do?

Others might have more info but I believe the Epson 2200 uses pigment
ink that will not fade nearly as fast as the dye inks in the cheaper
printers.
I mainly get my prints done at Costco.

Scott

Old March 18th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

William Graham wrote:
I need a decent photo printer to make 8 x 10's of my scanned color
slides. I
was looking at printers like the Epson 2200, which is a $600 machine, but
am frankly very tempted to try a cheaper machine like the Canon IP-4200 (
http://www.shop.com/op/~Canon_Pixma_...3?sourceid=298 )

At $100, It may be worth a try.....
Can anyone out there give me any pointers/insights as to what I should
do?

Others might have more info but I believe the Epson 2200 uses pigment
ink that will not fade nearly as fast as the dye inks in the cheaper
printers.
I mainly get my prints done at Costco.

Scott

Thanks....I hadn't considered the permanence of the inks. I will have to
factor that in. I probably will just be using the prints in my own home, or
that of my kids, and it will always be possible to redo any faded images,
but it is something to think about.....

Old March 18th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Thanks....I hadn't considered the permanence of the inks. I will have to
factor that in. I probably will just be using the prints in my own home,
or that of my kids, and it will always be possible to redo any faded
images, but it is something to think about.....

You can redo your prints as long as computers have cd or dvd drives. I'd
hazard a guess that it will be dinosaur technology in five years.

Get a printer that will produce a product that will last decades.

Old March 18th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Scott W wrote:

William Graham wrote:
I need a decent photo printer to make 8 x 10's of my scanned color slides. I
was looking at printers like the Epson 2200, which is a $600 machine, but I
am frankly very tempted to try a cheaper machine like the Canon IP-4200 (
http://www.shop.com/op/~Canon_Pixma_...3?sourceid=298 )

At $100, It may be worth a try.....
Can anyone out there give me any pointers/insights as to what I should do?

Others might have more info but I believe the Epson 2200 uses pigment
ink that will not fade nearly as fast as the dye inks in the cheaper
printers.
I mainly get my prints done at Costco.

Scott

That's right, but I think the Canon inks suffer somewhat from comparison
with the longevity of Epson pigment inks. In reality the Canon inks are
projected to last about 28 years without noticeable fading, and much
longer if stored properly. That equates pretty well with wet process
color papers. Note also that the estimated life of Epson pigment inks
varies from 80 years or so up to two hundred, depending on the paper
mainly. In both cases the expected life is an extrapolation of current
testing regimes. Neither will be proven until the time has passed - and
I will be well passed by then {:-)

There is one other problem with pigmented inks that doesn't affect dye
inks, and that is the need to change the black ink according to the
paper surface, glossy or lustre, which means flushing the unwanted black
ink - and flushing all the colors as well, which is a first-class
ink-waster. So if you don't want to do that, you are stuck with using
only one paper surface.

Colin D.
Old March 18th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Advocate" wrote in message

Get a printer that will produce a product that will last decades.

The problem is, they all claim their product will last decades. Even the
$100 class manufacturers say this......And, it is true that new inks are
being developed all the time, so who knows? - It might be true
already.......

Old March 18th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Colin D" wrote in message

(
[...]

Ah.....Another complication. I am being drawn toward the dye inks.....28
years is more than long enough for me, and my images, being on both slides
and digitized, are doubly archived, so reprinting them will be no
problem......

Old March 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:

"Colin D" wrote in message

Scott W wrote:

William Graham wrote:

[...]

Epson R800 ($400) has both kinds of black carts and a few other special
colors, 8 in all. They are $13/cart so $100/set but rather big carts.
The other advantage of pigment is they are waterproof, maybe not quite
as good as film but pretty decent for handling around the house. I've
got the R1800 the larger 13x19 version and it makes beautiful prints.
Old March 19th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

More important than the printer is understanding how to use color
management, including calibrating your monitor, and finish your images in a
color managed program (that means Elements or Photoshop).
Unless you want to make this effort, comparable to learning how to print in
a traditional wet darkroom but easier and less smelly, you are likely to be
disappointed by your results. More expensive art quality printers, like the
Epson 1280/r1800/r2200) may be disastrous to your self esteem and your
pocket book if you do not learn how to use them properly. Printers of this
quality are unforgiving and will yield worse results than less expensive
printers in inexperienced hands.
There is no reason for you to even think about longevity issues in ink vs
pigment dyes. We will all be dead and forgotten long before the prints fall
apart. Who is going to care anyway?
If you are serious about learning how to print I suggest you stay with Epson
printers. Epson drivers have more sophisticated color management than Canon
drivers. Epson makes more paper surfaces than Canon and packages very good
canned profiles for their papers with their printers.
If you do not understand the importance of paper profiles and are not
willing to learn then have your prints made by a third party finisher. You
will save much time and aggravation.