Rangefinder ???

Old March 6th 04, 01:38 PM
Stacey

Default Rangefinder ???

Mike Jenkins wrote:

I do like the 6x6 format, but that's not really that important right now.

These are -really- good cameras but not cheap.

The below is a agfa copy that has a great lens and isn't front cell focusing
which makes it perform better than the cell focusing models at infinity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=71 0

If you notice the first one has a red window for frame counting on the back.
The weak point of these is the frame counter and many have been modified to
"red window counter" which IMHO is a good thing. Should be able to pick up
one of the iskras for under $100. Cupog is a very honest person to deal
with for FSU camera so that one probably works right.
--

Stacey
Old March 6th 04, 04:33 PM
Mike Jenkins

Hi, I'm interested in playing with a MF rangefinder. I'd like a Mamiya 6,
but I don't feel like spending that much $$$. I'm just experimenting with
the idea of a MF rangefinder.

My question is: What inexpensive MF rangefinder is a good camera to goof
around with while I decide if I really want to spend a lot more money on a
good rf? I'd like a camera of good quality and optics that's rugged and easy
to use. Something I can toss in my truck and shoot pics as I stumble across
them.

I do like the 6x6 format, but that's not really that important right now. I
know there's Russian cameras and numerous others. I just don't have a clue
as to their quality and ease of use.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through my rambling post.
Mike

Old March 6th 04, 05:16 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

"Mike Jenkins" schrieb:

My question is: What inexpensive MF rangefinder is a good camera to goof
around with while I decide if I really want to spend a lot more money on a
good rf?

In the same situation I decided to go with one of the classic folders
without rangefinder - I was gifted a Adox Golf (6x6) and added a Adox
Start and Agfa Billy 6,3 (both 6x9) to it. When I learned that I liked
the handling and the image they produced, I got a Moskva5 - actually
two. The first had bent folding struts and now serves me as a "toy
platform" - for experiments like a pinhole-folder. Not bad for 12 EUR.
;-)

The other was a gift by a fellow in Minnesota, he decided that I
needed it more than him and send it over the big pond. :-)

Now, thats a decent camera - fine rangefinder, albeit a bit too tiny
viewfinder, quite compact, rugged with the chrome protective cap. 6x6
and 6x9 option, a good tessar derivative lens (Industar 24Y), sharp
and contrasty images.

The others still see usage, since they are smaller and lighter.

The only limitation is the focal length - there are no wide angle
folders.

To get an overview over the various models, have a look at the
"Klappkamera ABC" ("Folding camera ABC"). It´s in german, but if you
follow my link and have a look at the images, you´ll see the cameras
and sample shots taken with them.

http://www.corff.de/Klappkameras/Kla...s-8.html#ss8.1

I do like the 6x6 format, but that's not really that important right now. I
know there's Russian cameras and numerous others. I just don't have a clue
as to their quality and ease of use.

Mike

Gruss, Roman
Old March 6th 04, 07:00 PM
Craig Schroeder

A good, serious but affordable RF would be one of the Fuji 645 series.
I've got an old folder that has served me very well for a portable,
walking around rig. Sometimes, Fuji 645's slip through eBay quite
cheaply and if you find you don't get along with it, you can easily
get your money back by reselling. The Fuji has also served me well as
a backup rig and I can't envision selling it (until I'm stampeded into
the digital world, perhaps).

Old March 7th 04, 04:19 PM
AArDvarK

Koni-Omega Rapid cams are rangefinders with sharp lenses,
The "M" models and the "200" models have interchangeable
120 and 220 backs with film loaded and dark slide. Non "M"
and the "100" have open interchangeable 120 and 220 backs:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...9&BasicSearch=
Nice prices too, except, the 135mm lens is rare and expensive.
Alex